This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

replacement 6v generator

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
dambrino1
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 39565

replacement 6v generator

Postby dambrino1 » Fri May 24, 2019 8:28 am

Good morning folks,
about to install a new radiator, and since i'm this far into it, i thought i might as well address the generator issues I've been having (no charge at all/dead). i really don't need it because this thing never gets used, and it starts perfectly by hand crank, but since everything is already off....i'm thinking about it.
I took it to a local repair shop, and they want $250 to completely rebuild it and put a new voltage regulator on it. i've been looking at some aftermarket replacements, but not sure if they are worth it.
Any advice? Has anyone purchased a replacement? i want to stay original, not interested in 12v conversion.

thanks, and Happy Memorial Day in advance!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: replacement 6v generator

Postby Eugene » Fri May 24, 2019 8:37 am

Your choice, keeping it original. You can place an alternator under the hood so that it is not visible to the casual observer.

For about one third the price of the generator rebuild and a new voltage regulator, you can install a 12 volt single wire alternator.

Just my opinion, call me frugal.
I have an excuse. CRS.

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Fri May 24, 2019 8:42 am

did you test the system to see if the generator is bad? many times that is not the problem, here is a chart to test it to find the problem
Attachments
08-Regulatortroubleshootingchartrev.gif

dambrino1
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby dambrino1 » Fri May 24, 2019 8:44 am

i sure did. used this same flow chart. it was apparent early on that it was dead. i took it to a rebuild shop and had them verify it.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Fri May 24, 2019 9:50 am

A side note...regarding the radiator replacement...you probably know this already, but it's suggested that you chase all the threads and clean out the holes well before you install the new radiator. If you are looking for hardware, TM Tractors has a stainless steel set for sale.
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

dambrino1
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby dambrino1 » Fri May 24, 2019 10:54 am

Dale Finch wrote:A side note...regarding the radiator replacement...you probably know this already, but it's suggested that you chase all the threads and clean out the holes well before you install the new radiator. If you are looking for hardware, TM Tractors has a stainless steel set for sale.

thank you Sir. after chasing, should i put a small amount of gasket sealer/silicone on the threads when installing the new radiator? something that i've been wondering about.....

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale Finch » Fri May 24, 2019 2:38 pm

I don't, since they do not go through into the water area. They should all be blind holes.

One note, if you are not aware, the "doglegs" (hood extensions, on each side below the front of the hood) are held on by 4 small screws, 2 at the top into the hood and 2 at the bottom into the bolster (upper steering gear housing). As I said, they are small and often rusted in place, and are easy to break off. This requires drilling them out. The caution is that those holes are fairly shallow, maybe 1/2" or so, and if you drill too deeply you can go through the wall of the housing and end up with a whole lot of antifreeze squirting out! So be careful! Left hand drill bits just MIGHT help get them out.
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Fri May 24, 2019 3:40 pm

dambrino1 wrote:
Dale Finch wrote:A side note...regarding the radiator replacement...you probably know this already, but it's suggested that you chase all the threads and clean out the holes well before you install the new radiator. If you are looking for hardware, TM Tractors has a stainless steel set for sale.

thank you Sir. after chasing, should i put a small amount of gasket sealer/silicone on the threads when installing the new radiator? something that i've been wondering about.....

Just so you know, and you couldn't have known unless you've met Dale Finch, but she is one of our FEW female forum members. :D
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri May 24, 2019 9:19 pm

Hi,
You could remove the band on the generator, use a good light, and look at the brushes.
The brushes wear down from years of use. When they wear down a certain amount, the gen won't charge. Then they need replacing.
The bearing and bushing can be worn too, and need replacing. If they are worn, the armature can rub on the magnets inside the gen, it should not rub.
The commutator that the brushes run on can be dirty, and need cleaning. It says to clean it in the Cub owner's manual. It should be flat and shiny.

You didn't say what year the Cub is. Earlier 6 volt gens had 3 brushes, later 6 volt gens had 2 brushes.
Below are pages from the Cub parts manual, showing the gen with 3 brushes.
The long bolts, number 1 in the pic, hold the gen together. Turn them gently, they could be stuck, work them both directions, if stuck, and try to not twist them off.

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 008-05.jpg

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 008-06.jpg

Below is a pic of new brushes, bushing, and bearing, for the 3 brush gen. :)
Attachments
Cub gen brushes.jpg
Cub gen brushes.jpg (20.41 KiB) Viewed 827 times

dambrino1
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby dambrino1 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:38 am

Rick Spivey wrote:
dambrino1 wrote:

Just so you know, and you couldn't have known unless you've met Dale Finch, but she is one of our FEW female forum members. :D

OOOPSSSS!!! Sorry!! LOL

dambrino1
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby dambrino1 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:42 am

Thanks everyone for your replies, and my sincere apologies to Dale for calling her a Sir...Ha!
I took the generator apart, and the brushes looked really good, but the one brush that has a lead going to the field terminal (i believe) was disconnected, the old solder had come apart. so, i repaired it, and am about to install the radiator this weekend and see if it works. fingers crossed!!

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale Finch » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:04 am

Hey, the price I pay for being a tomboy, and playing with "men's" toys (tractors and airplanes!)

Quick comment, while you have things removed from the front of the tractor, do some of the things that are nigh impossible with everything there:
1. Check fan belts and tighten/replace if needed
2. Check and lubricate all gov/carb linkages
3. Clean and refill air cleaner cup (and if needed the entire air cleaner)
4. Check gov spring
5. Check plugs and wires (maybe do a compression test?)

Plus I'm sure others could add to this list...
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:13 am

Dale Finch wrote:Plus I'm sure others could add to this list...

* Lube the fan hub.
* Check and clean the breather tube between the air cleaner and block.
* I would go ahead and replace the governor spring. No easy way to tell whether the old one is OK, unless it's broken.
* Blow any accumulated debris out of the radiator fins.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

dambrino1
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby dambrino1 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:06 am

well folks, i did most of this and installed the radiator.....found a hairline crack in the bolster....gotta take it back off and look at the best way to fix it. dang!! I will be having the generator rebuilt next week....so i got the time.

TallCoolOne58
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 13126
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub "Mule"

Postby TallCoolOne58 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:05 pm

Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work-Thomas Edison