This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Suggestions regarding a leaking carburetor

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Camemdad
Zip Code: 06791

Suggestions regarding a leaking carburetor

Postby Camemdad » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:08 am

Need advise regarding a Farmall Cub (1947?) carburetor/ gasket kit

I just bought my first tractor and the carburetor has a small drip/leak (possibly coming from the gasket.

Does anyone have a suggestion regarding a carburetor tuneup or rebuild kit?

Thanks for any help.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Suggestions regarding a leaking carburetor

Postby Urbish » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:57 am

Rebuild kits can be purchased from the site sponsors (links at the bottom of every page), Hamilton Bob's or TM Tractor. You can also get rebuild kits from farm & fleet type stores, but they may be of a more 'universal' nature. But first you need to know if you have an original IH carburetor or a Zenith (which were popular replacements for Cubs), or a Chinese knock-off (which are also becoming popular). The IH carb will have the IHC logo cast on the outboard side of the bowl. Others here may be able to chime in on distinguishing a Zenith from the Chinese one. Rebuild kits for the Zenith and IH carb are widely available. I'm not sure about the Chinese one.

If you do have the original IH carb, be very careful when separating the top half of the carburetor from the lower half. Pull straight up and very gently. It is common for folks to break off the brass idle tube if you start man-handling it. The tops of the IH carbs are also known to warp which will cause fuel leaks. There is information on this site on straightening the top. Use the search bar to find out more if you're interested.
Jim

Circle of Safety

Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.

Postby Crimson Tim » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:22 am

What kind of a leak? Fuel? Air?
I understand this is a new to you Cub, and you're working on sorting out whatever issues you may find? It is normal for it to drip a bit of fuel after a failed start.

If it is just dripping all the time, check the float and the needle and seat in the carb. In fact, I would suggest going through the entire fuel system to clean out any crud you may find. If there is any rust or other debris in the tank, that can drive you nuts with either a leaking needle/seat and/or fuel restriction.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:26 am

It's rare that a whole kit is needed. I'd suggest opening it, check the needle and seat for debris, the float for leaks, and with the gasket removed, put the two halves together and see if the top is warped. You can buy just the gasket from TM or from McDonald Carb online.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:04 pm

Hi,
Below is the 1947 Cub owner's manual. The experts on here recommend people read it. It has lots of info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication. There is a table of contents on page 1. It shows how Cubs originally looked.
It has no Touch Control info. That is in the newer owner's manuals.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

Below is the 1955 Cub owner's manual. It has Touch Control info on page 65 - 67.
Page 65 shows what the parts of the system are.
It tells how to change the fluid, and remove the air from the system on page 67.
Nowadays they use Case IH Hy-Tran fluid. It is sold at Case IH dealers. The system holds 3 1/2 Pints, when you drain and change the fluid, so a 1 gallon can is plenty.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

Below are pics from TM Tractor of the carburetors.
The 1st pic is the IH carb.
The 2nd pic is the Zenith carb. The Zenith carb was originally used on Cubs beginning in 1975. :)
Attachments
Cub carb 3.jpg
Cub carb Z 2.jpg

Drfting1
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 24151
Tractors Owned: 53 Cub
59 cub

Postby Drfting1 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:43 pm

Going to try out one of those Chinese made ones that you guys are talking about.... But I'm going to keep and rebuild the IH one that's on it now for when I restore her down the road
Bill Longeill

Drfting1
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 24151
Tractors Owned: 53 Cub
59 cub

Postby Drfting1 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:48 pm

Actually just got it today
Attachments
IMG_20190701_184524-1209x1612.jpg
Bill Longeill

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Postby Lt.Mike » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:31 am

I was once looking to get a carb kit for a snowblower and saw that the kit was $15 but I could get a new carb for $20, so I got the carb. Yes it’s a Chinese knockoff but it’s not like the blower is a collectible and it put it back to good running order.
I’m curious about the IH carb knockoff, are the threads for the fuel inlet standard or metric?
I may buy one of those carbs just to have on the shelf in case I need it to get a tractor going again in a pinch. Their cheap enough.
Mike
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:08 pm

Lt.Mike wrote:I was once looking to get a carb kit for a snowblower and saw that the kit was $15 but I could get a new carb for $20, so I got the carb. Yes it’s a Chinese knockoff but it’s not like the blower is a collectible and it put it back to good running order.
I’m curious about the IH carb knockoff, are the threads for the fuel inlet standard or metric?
I may buy one of those carbs just to have on the shelf in case I need it to get a tractor going again in a pinch. Their cheap enough.
Mike

If you do score one you might as well put it on and test/dial it in so it is ready to use. Then put in a storage clean condition.
Nothin worse than having a counted on part you expect to work that does not....

I gambled on a china push mower carb and it works fine.
The bowl on it will likely fail first if cruddy/ethanol fuel is run from the looks of it.
Think it was TM I went with for a Cub carb.

LeoM
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 32713
Tractors Owned: FARMALL FORUM
1966 Cub w/ IH 1000 Loader
1958 LoBoy w/ Wagner 45 Loader
1952 Cub w/ Woods 48" Bush Hog
1948 Super A w/ Finish Mower
1944 A w/ 3 Point Hitch

Postby LeoM » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:14 pm

I tried 4 different Chinese aftermarket carbs for original I H type carb and they all were returned. Float could not shut off the gas when the engine was not running. I found a Chinese Zenith copy and out of the box it worked perfect. 70949C92 Zenith Style Carburetor for Case IH Farmall Tractor Cub 154 184 185 from reliableaftermarketpartsinc on EBay for less than $40. I have had it on for almost a year and it is still working fine.

john2189
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44657

Postby john2189 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:51 pm

I know this doesn’t fix the problem, but I always shut off the pet cock under the tank just Incase the float does stick.
John
'49 Cub (Vince)
'41 allis B with Woods L59 mower
656 Wheel Horse with 42” sickle mower
C-165 Wheel Horse
Simplicity 20 HP Sunstar
Honda 48” walk behind mower

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:14 pm

Hi,
LeoM, I've read on here that the Chinese replacement IH carburetors sometimes need the float level set to the specs the Cub service manual says, so they work right. :)

Return to “Farmall Cub”