This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Woods mower digging into my hills...

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Gary S.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60102
Tractors Owned: '49 Farmall Cub purchased 1960
'59 International Lo-Boy purchased 1987
'48 Ford 8N family owned since new

L59 woods mower
Mott Flail mower 4'
Mott Flail mower 6'
Prewitt post hole digger with mounts for Cub and Ford
Grading and leveling blade with snow ext and hydraulic angle

Re: Woods mower digging into my hills...

Postby Gary S. » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:55 pm

lift chains are loose, about 1/2' difference in height from side to side of mower.

MikeEyre74
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06063
Tractors Owned: Standard F-Cub, 1949
John Deere Model A, 1948
Wheel Horse 312-8, 1987

Postby MikeEyre74 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:49 pm

Mine are also in the middle of 3 set of adjustment holes, like yours are. Mine are showing only a couple of inches off the cement however. I am changing them up now, to the next higher setting.

Why do you have your toe guards on backwards?
Standard F-Cub, 1949
John Deere Model A, 1948

MikeEyre74
5+ Years
5+ Years
John Deere Model A, 1948
Wheel Horse 312-8, 1987

Postby MikeEyre74 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:53 pm

Urbish wrote:I know it's not really a solution, but I sold my Woods 59 and bought one of these (the proceeds from the mower deck didn't even cover the sales tax). I use the 3 hours I save in mowing time each week to enjoy my old tractors in other ways that don't involve gouging up my yard.

You are going to laugh at me when I tell you this, but, knowing that you have saved yourself three hours of mowing, I can see where you are coming from. I used to have a similar machine, just a walk behind style, not a zero turn rider. I used to be able to mow my lawn in 14 minutes. The problem was… I don’t like mowing the lawn, and I hated it. Every minute of it was agonizing.

Then, I found tractors. I had never ridden a tractor, worked on a tractor, or had anything to do with them… but a friend of mine had one when I went over to his house for the first time and I got to play with his out in the cornfield. It was a life-changing moment. Since that time, many years ago, I have been obsessed with them. So, I went out and bought one… And my mowing times have increased ever since. But now, I love mowing the lawn, and I can’t wait for the grass to get tall again every time I do it.

It takes me over half an hour now, and I mow on the slowest speed just to drag it out more. But I love every minute of Wheel time. :)
Standard F-Cub, 1949
John Deere Model A, 1948

Gary S.
10+ Years
10+ Years

L59 woods mower
Mott Flail mower 4'
Mott Flail mower 6'

Postby Gary S. » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:42 pm

MikeEyre74 wrote:

Whats a toe guard? :oops: however it's set up is how it was when we got it back in the 80's

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Urbish » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:53 pm

MikeEyre74 wrote:
Urbish wrote:I know it's not really a solution, but I sold my Woods 59 and bought one of these (the proceeds from the mower deck didn't even cover the sales tax). I use the 3 hours I save in mowing time each week to enjoy my old tractors in other ways that don't involve gouging up my yard.

You are going to laugh at me when I tell you this, but, knowing that you have saved yourself three hours of mowing, I can see where you are coming from. I used to have a similar machine, just a walk behind style, not a zero turn rider. I used to be able to mow my lawn in 14 minutes. The problem was… I don’t like mowing the lawn, and I hated it. Every minute of it was agonizing.

Then, I found tractors. I had never ridden a tractor, worked on a tractor, or had anything to do with them… but a friend of mine had one when I went over to his house for the first time and I got to play with his out in the cornfield. It was a life-changing moment. Since that time, many years ago, I have been obsessed with them. So, I went out and bought one… And my mowing times have increased ever since. But now, I love mowing the lawn, and I can’t wait for the grass to get tall again every time I do it.

It takes me over half an hour now, and I mow on the slowest speed just to drag it out more. But I love every minute of Wheel time. :)

Hah! Nothing wrong with that. I actually really did enjoy mowing with my Cub and my Farmall B, but I'm at that phase of my life (and my kids are at the right age) that I don't have enough time on a continual basis. Something had to give. Some day I will really regret selling my mower decks. Life will slow down and so will I. I have no doubt my old tractors will still be running... and l bet this zero turn will be long gone by then.
Jim

Circle of Safety

john2189
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44657

Postby john2189 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:05 pm

Takes me 3 hours to mow mine,I love it, I put on my Bose headphones and listen to my music
'49 Cub (Vince)
'41 allis B with Woods L59 mower
656 Wheel Horse with 42” sickle mower
C-165 Wheel Horse
Simplicity 20 HP Sunstar
Honda 48” walk behind mower

MikeEyre74
5+ Years
5+ Years
John Deere Model A, 1948
Wheel Horse 312-8, 1987

Postby MikeEyre74 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:05 pm

Gary S. wrote:
MikeEyre74 wrote:

Whats a toe guard? :oops: however it's set up is how it was when we got it back in the 80's

Those Bolt on pieces in front of the deck? Those are supposed to be flipped around and face the other direction… You have them pointed outwards. Practically, I’m not sure what the difference is, but they are on backwards. :D
Standard F-Cub, 1949
John Deere Model A, 1948

MikeEyre74
5+ Years
5+ Years
John Deere Model A, 1948
Wheel Horse 312-8, 1987

Postby MikeEyre74 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:11 pm

So ready for the good news? I moved the side skids up to their highest setting, then went out and tackled the neighbors yard which is pretty much identical to mine as we live on the same side of the road… In places where I have dug the skids in in the past, it did not do so this time. Additionally, no scalping of the lawn occurred. I could not be more pleased, but I am also amazed that moving the skids up just one inch has made such a drastic difference. I’ll have to back up these results on my own yard, but I am still waiting for the grass to grow back… ;)
Last edited by MikeEyre74 on Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Standard F-Cub, 1949
John Deere Model A, 1948

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:36 pm

If you weren't so far away , I'd let you do some mowing here. :lol:

Congrats though.
Getting dialed in is part of the fun. (More so from a distance sometimes...)

Gary S.
10+ Years
10+ Years

L59 woods mower
Mott Flail mower 4'
Mott Flail mower 6'

Postby Gary S. » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:45 pm

MikeEyre74 wrote:
Those Bolt on pieces in front of the deck? Those are supposed to be flipped around and face the other direction… You have them pointed outwards. Practically, I’m not sure what the difference is, but they are on backwards. :D

Funny thing is dad was always wondering why the castor wheels were so close to the deck,the holes for the shafts are wallowed out,we just thought they were worn out. I'll flip it over and try it out. Glad you might have yours worked out,keep an eye on those skid mounting bolts they do seem to vibrate loose often. They are good mowers but slow,it takes me two hours to cut what I have but I'd rather cut than plow snow.
Last edited by Gary S. on Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nelson 634
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 22958
Tractors Owned: 5 Cubs
1952 100
1960 460 Utility

Postby Nelson 634 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:47 pm

Just a suggestion. How about a Bull Nose on the front. Could be made from flat steel or even rod. Or maybe an old spring tooth.
Rough drawing on Gary's Pic.
Attachments
2ZP6ZABD_t.jpg
Walter

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:53 am

As you can see in the thread above, I am also not willing to give up my tractor seat time. That's why I bought a used tow-behind offset mower and modified my mower deck. This setup does work well in wide open spaces and I can just barely finish the 3.25 acres in an hour and 15 minutes.
- The tow behind definitely eats more fuel per hour than the 184.

I love the pictures you all post and how you help fellow forum members with finding and fixing issues that members probably would never know were issues.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:44 pm

Gary S. wrote:
MikeEyre74 wrote:

Funny thing is dad was always wondering why the castor wheels were so close to the deck,the holes for the shafts are wallowed out,we just thought they were worn out. I'll flip it over and try it out. Glad you might have yours worked out,keep an eye on those skid mounting bolts they do seem to vibrate loose often. They are good mowers but slow,it takes me two hours to cut what I have but I'd rather cut than plow snow.
Mike, I believe you are mixing toe guards and a front shield. I believe toe guards are on later decks and are only on the outside ends of the front of the deck. A front shield is one piece and goes all the way across. A front shield bolts to a flat front deck and kicks forward. The toe guards angle back and under the deck and mount to a rolled or stamped front edge on the deck.

From the color of the deck and mainly the style of pulley shields, that is an older deck than 1980 and for it, I believe, the front shield is mounted correctly. The holes for the caster shafts and the axle shaft for the casters should be round and not wallowed out. Any wear in either place gets the caster closer to the shield and there's not much room to start with.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:57 pm

With my int154 the center blade seems to scalp sometimes. Rolling the lawn in the springtime when the ground is soft does help even it out. I raised my deck height too.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.