This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Advice on grassboard install

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
MikeKing
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 04928

Advice on grassboard install

Postby MikeKing » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:27 pm

Greeting
Finally got my cub home! My mower has the sickle bar mower installed but was missing the grassboard. I had TM tractor send me the aftermarket version. I'm wondering if anyone has installed this unit/brand before...any tips that might help would be appreciated. Pictures of install ect. It is a " Clean Sweep All Steel Grassboard"
Currently having trouble uploading photo?
Links to previous posts on this matter would also be helpful!
Many thanks!

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Advice on grassboard install

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:59 pm

I'm not familiar with that brand, but I expect it should bolt onto the outer shoe with a single bolt like a grassboard would. You may need to resize your pictures smaller in order to put them on the forum. There are several "how to's" that you can look up.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

MikeKing
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby MikeKing » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:04 pm

Thank you.
It did come with a single bolt/ nut and clip of sorts. Just having trouble lining things up the way it's supposed to go I guess. Will try to resize photos to upload!

MikeKing
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby MikeKing » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:18 pm

sgb10.jpg
sgb10.jpg (6.56 KiB) Viewed 499 times

Grass board in question.
Attachments
images (4).jpeg
images (4).jpeg (12.72 KiB) Viewed 499 times

WaMoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 99109
Tractors Owned: 1954 Farmall Cub
2013 NH Workmaster 40

Postby WaMoo » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:37 pm

I have a Kosch Clean Sweep on my Cub 22 mower. I use hole #2 and I use just a single bolt but I added a spring (actually an old valve spring from a Diesel engine) to the outside of the board. Overall, it’s a great grassboard and I’ve used it a lot.

You can see me installing this grassboard in this video: https://youtu.be/-XmL1IkvYkE

Skip to minute 12:50 if you don’t care about the other stuff.
WaMoo - Dairy Farmer and U.S. Coast Guard (Retired)
Chewelah, WA
"I had rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world."
~George Washington

MikeKing
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby MikeKing » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:46 pm

Many thanks!
This video was just what I needed to get the big picture...should be no problem now. I like the addition of the spring assembly on the main bolt, if you have a second at some point maybe you could shoot me the bolt/ spring size ect to reproduce it on mine.
PS: Your videos helped inspire me to purchase my first cub!
Much appreciated!

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:45 pm

Hi,
The 22 mower parts manual shows IH used a spring there on the end boards. It is number 25 in the pic.
It shows 2 styles of end boards that were used over the years, one was rods.
The bolt is described below number 1 in the description.

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cbi- ... e%2070.jpg

The page below shows the part number.

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cbi- ... e%2074.jpg

I have an end board that looks about like yours, you should have a square head bolt, to fit in the hole in the outer shoe. The bolt faces out, from the shoe.
The bolt on mine has a hole drilled through. When the spring is compressed some to the right tension, by the nut, a cotter key goes through the hole in the bolt. Then it doesn't fall apart while mowing. You can use a castellated nut there, with a flat washer.
Or grind a slot in a regular nut, on one side of it, for the cotter key to fit in some.
The tension should be set so the board moves up and down at the rear end of it easily, but not loose. :)