This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Water leak at head bolt

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
padre
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75683

Water leak at head bolt

Postby padre » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:59 pm

While working on the replacement of the points I found water pooled around the headbolt: middle row second from the rear.

I have no idea what this means or what I can do about it. Please give me some more help--even if it's bad news.
1950 IH Cub SN: 118157

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

mozer71
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 22650

Re: Water leak at head bolt

Postby mozer71 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:17 pm

The indication is head gasket failure but there is a reason behind that. I'm backing out of here so the actual guys who know this, can help.

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby tst » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:21 pm

look carefully around the head bolt area to make sure the head is not cracked, if it looks good the head bolts thread in to the water jacket of the block so they need to have sealer on the bolts so the coolant does not seep out around the bolt and leaks at the top, if some one just had the head off I would bet they did not seal the bolts

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:47 am

Hi,
Good that you replaced the points and condenser.

You could try drying the coolant at the bolt with a paper towel, and see if it comes back.

If it comes back, to inspect it closely for cracks, you probably need to take the hood off.

The head bolt threads go into the engine water jacket, so water can run up the bolt threads if there is no sealer, or if hasn't been removed in decades, and the thread has lost the seal.
Below is a page from the Cub service manual, I guess you mean it is the bolt at number 3 in the pic.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... -01-14.jpg

If you don't want to remove the hood, you could try sealing the bolt threads.
You will need to drain the coolant, from the drain under the radiator, on the casting. Then remove the one bolt, clean it and it's threads. Use clean water if it has antifreeze, and wash off the antifreeze and dry it.
Put sealer on the bottom 1/2" of the threads, and put it in again.

The bolts are torqued to 45 ft lbs, with a torque wrench. If you don't remove the hood, you will have to guess the torque, using a 1/2" drive ratchet up under the hood, unless there is enough room for a torque wrench.

The head bolts should have non hardening sealer. Below is a pic of a sealer that works for them.
It is Permatex Aviation Form A Gasket. It has a brush made under the cap, as far as I know.
They sell it at NAPA auto parts stores. If you buy one, stir it well before using it, it settles in the can sitting.
After putting the bolt in, you could let it sit for a day before putting the coolant in, that will let the sealer dry some. A good time to put in new antifreeze, if it needs it. Good luck. :)
Attachments
Cub Permatex.jpg
Cub Permatex.jpg (8.51 KiB) Viewed 506 times

padre
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75683

Postby padre » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:30 am

Yes, it is bolt number 3. None of the other bolts show this condition. I do not see any crack or other damage around the bolt head but the water does return almost to the point of seeping out. The presence of water makes me cautious about rust. I surely do not want to damage or break the bolt. I am not planning to try this fix immediately because we have an RV trip planned (Santa Fe, NM). But I will appreciate any suggestions, cautions, or details about removing that bolt so I will be prepared when we return. I am deeply grateful for the help I get on this forum.
1950 IH Cub SN: 118157

NJ Farmer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08876
Tractors Owned: 1953 F-Cub
1957 F-Cub
1956 Lo-Boy
1971 Cub Cadet 149
1976 Cub Cadet 1200

Postby NJ Farmer » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:54 am

Although I use Aviation Form-A-Gasket on most oil/gasket applications (I.e. oil pan, rear axle) I would use a small amount of non hardening white PIPE DOPE the one in the small can with a brush on the threads only of the head bolts. Don’t go crazy with it just on the threads. This sealant is really design for water applications and high temp applications (I.e. boilers,furnaces)

Anyway every mechanic has there special tips and tricks that’s just mine.

NJ Farmer

Return to “Farmall Cub”