This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Painting Woes...

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
xraycajun
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 70769

Painting Woes...

Postby xraycajun » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:20 pm

After 25 months of continuous work on my '52, I was down to the fenders and hood assembly. And for every paint session that was met with better than expected results, it looks like the hood parts just went the other way :( While I'm happy that the extensive body work and fill is unnoticeable, I am disappointed in the orange peel. I managed to get every other sheet metal part painted to my satisfaction and now the most important piece is a bit lackluster. I never could get the gun to lay the paint down just right. Worse yet, I am only finding out today that the 2K clearcoat I hoped to use won't be compatible with my enamel!

I am open to any suggestions. I used the case 2150 with the case reducer. I opted to avoid the hardener (I have enough allergies, asthma issues already). My next move would be to allow the paint several weeks, then wet-sand and follow up with an enamel clear. Or, wet sand and hit it with the 2150 rattle-can which has proven to lay very smooth on some of the smaller parts I've done. What do you guys think? BTW, I'm still shooting for a completion date of this coming Halloween... the date I set when I started over two years ago..... gosh, so close.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rob in NH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03848
eBay ID: panelbeata
Tractors Owned: 1947 circle cub
1950 cub demonstrator
1957 cub
1967 cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Painting Woes...

Postby Rob in NH » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:08 pm

wet sand it with 2000 and buff it out. since you didn't put hardener in the paint I wouldn't clear it as it could lift the enamel that you put on.

xraycajun
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 70769

Re: Painting Woes...

Postby xraycajun » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:15 pm

Yeah... I'm leaning that direction. But, I want to let it gas out some... otherwise it may pill during sanding.

Return to “Farmall Cub”