This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Assessing Condition of Woods 42 Mower

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
mroberts
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 25425
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1985 Massey Ferguson MF40B

Assessing Condition of Woods 42 Mower

Postby mroberts » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:16 pm

Hello, I'm thinking of using the Woods 42 mower that came with the Cub. I never attached it. I'm not even sure of the exact model C1-C6. Couldn't locate any tags. It looks as though there may be some red paint underneath the yellow, but can't say for sure. If anyone recognizes this model from the pictures, please let me know. It has a few problems.

1. The right skid or shoe is pretty much gone. The left side is a bit bent up, but looks to still have some life. Do all the models C1-C6 use the same skid?

2. There are some rust holes on the deck, but the metal around the holes still appears to be sturdy.

3. There is a bushing on one of the arms, but the other arm is missing it. Does this bushing look familiar to anyone? Do the arms connect with bolts or pins?

4. The two blades need sharpened or replaced. Anyone know the part number? Sorry now I didn't take a picture of the blades.

5. I've seen some online pictures that show a cover around the pulley. Did this model have the cover?

Anything else I should be concerned about, if I decide to fix these issues. Thanks.

IMG_4347.JPG
IMG_4352.JPG
IMG_4355.JPG
IMG_4354.JPG
IMG_4351.JPG

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Assessing Condition of Woods 42 Mower

Postby inairam » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:15 am

I do no think it is a 6 the attachment in the back is a little different for the 6. All but the 6 use the same belt.

Make sure the blades are free and can swing free- it would be a good idea to sharpen them.

Check that the spinal it straight no wobble when it spins.

See if the clutch works - get is spinning and stop the pulley. The blades and pulley should disengage.

If it were mine it would be cutting grass as a shakedown.

Messicks online has a nice part list if you need clutch parts. The skids can be purchased new or used or repaired

This is a great mower for the Cub. Can do lawn to light bush hog work with it.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:32 am

The bushing is still available from a Woods dealer or online. The arms are attached to the brackets with bolts.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:30 am

do you have the mule drive and pulley, also the lift linkage I do not see in the pics, if you have the rear belt guard the id tag is on that, looks like a c2 me

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:52 am

A previous owner replaced the skids with casters on mine....Not saying that is the answer but it works.

IF you have the two swinging blades , you'll want dull/wide leading edges for brush hogging. That takes more ummmph from your tractor to cut grass. And tears the grass in a manner that won't thrill you if you like a tidy ,healthy manicure.
Fine for occasionally mowed pasture or plot type areas. Not fine for ultimate golf course looking results...

mroberts
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby mroberts » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:48 pm

Inairam:

Thanks. I'm thinking it must be one of the earlier models. The blades are moving and swing independently from one another. They do look a little rough, so I will try and sharpen. I didn't see much horizontal movement in the shaft. It seems to be tight. Not sure about the clutch yet. I'll try and test it today. I think I may have a source for one of the skids. I was hoping to repair the other, if possible.

Don McComb:

Thanks. I went ahead and ordered two of the sleeves or bushings (Part #484). The were only $2.50 each. The one that I had fit tight, but the two new ones seem to have more play.

tst:

Lol, just my luck -Looks like I'm missing the guard. Here's a picture from the rear:

IMG_4387.JPG

The odd thing that I found was the arms have only one mounting hole, where all the other assembly drawings show two or more.

IMG_4388.JPG

I ran the grinder and wire brush over the deck and it seems the first layer of paint is red. Not sure if that might be an indication of the model.

IMG_4390.JPG

Waif:

I'd love to see a picture of yours with the casters. I can't wait to try mowing with it.

mroberts
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby mroberts » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:54 pm

Hi all,

After cleaning up the deck I'm seeing a few spots with rust holes. I was planning on cleaning underneath the deck (brush and grinder) and welding some 1/8" steel over each of the suspect areas. Is this the best way to address this issue?

After welding the pieces underneath, how should I address holes on the top of the deck? Should I weld from there too or ?

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:27 am

If you look at the Woods C-4 parts list at the top is a breakdown of models with 1-4 each step up is an improvement on the previous;
42C-1 has fixed blades
42C-2 has swinging blades
42C-3 has swinging blades and an overrunning clutch
42C-4 has swinging blades, an overrunning clutch, and opening in front of the spindle to change the blades from above

I don't remember what a 42C-5 is or if there is even one.
The 42C-6 has several modifications over the 1-4. The braces that are attached to the deck mirror front and back (the 1-4 only come forward) The fastest way is to look in front of the spindle and between the braces for a bracket with three slots to hook lift chains into for other model tractors. The lift bar for the Cub is attached in a Y fashion to the two long braces running to the mule drive behind the spindle. On the 1-4 it attaches in the same area but it uses two short tabs welded on the round brace (no Y configuration) running between the long braces.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:45 am

Here's an online source for Woods parts...

https://store.germanbliss.com/woods-und ... ry-cutters
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Return to “Farmall Cub”