This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Wiring

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
agent blue
Zip Code: 54448

Wiring

Postby agent blue » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:10 pm

Have a 1966 Cub. Sent the engine out for a rebuild. Reassembly I forgot where several wires connect. One from the harness goes to the outside of the distributor ( I hope ) . I have no wires from the negative or positive side of the coil. I thought the positive coil wire should go to the distributor also. Is the negative coil side left without a wire or is it grounded ?

I usually mark the wires with tape but this time I must have been in a hurry... or brain failure.

Thanks

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Wiring

Postby Glen » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:19 pm

Hi,
Welcome to the website.

The coil should have a wire from the ignition switch to power it, and connect on the positive post on the coil. The wire should be in the wiring harness.

There is a short wire from the negative post on the coil, to the post on the side of the Battery Ignition unit.

Below is a page from the 1965 Cub and LoBoy owner's manual, showing the electrical wiring. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-36.jpg

Below is the 1965 Cub and LoBoy owner's manual, if you don't have it. The experts on here recommend reading it. It has lots of info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication.
There is a table of contents on page 1.
It has electrical info for 6 and 12 volt systems, disregard the 6 volt info.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

agent blue

Postby agent blue » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:59 am

The coil wires are not clear in the owners manual picture. The wiring harness wire should go to the positive on the coil. The second wire on the coil goes to the distributor side housing. Is this from the negative or positive post on the coil. If both wires come off the positive side of the coil is there a lead from the negative terminal ?

What is the " battery ignition unit " ? You lost me there.

The distributor casting has a side terminal. I am sure a wire is connected to it.
Attachments
image.png
image.png (2.63 KiB) Viewed 1045 times

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:14 am

agent blue wrote:What is the " battery ignition unit " ? You lost me there.
Battery ignition unit = battery powered ignition system. The other option is the magneto ignition system which was installed on earlier years Cubs.

Everything is series wired, one appliance after another. The wire from the ignition switch goes to the positive terminal on the coil. The wire on the negative terminal on the coil goes to the terminal on the side of the distributor.
I have an excuse. CRS.

agent blue

Postby agent blue » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:56 pm

Thank you Eugene, .... That is clear as a bell. This has taught me to make sure it is labeled, maybe pictures also. Should be good now..

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:25 pm

Hi,
There is a wire from the negative post on the coil, to the post on the side of the distributor.
It is separate from the wiring harness. It is approximately 7" long.
Each coil post has 1 wire connected to it.

Battery Ignition unit is IH's name for the distributor unit. It is shown in the first page I posted above, it is number 9 in the wiring pic. The name is in the list at the bottom of the page. :)

agent blue

Postby agent blue » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:40 am

Thanks for the assistance. Now to find a suitable connecting point for the black headlamp ground wire. The radiator fan shield looks like the best option.

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:09 pm

the factory ran the ground to the generator bracket to engine mounting bolt

agent blue

Postby agent blue » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:05 am

I saw that in the manual diagram. Contemplating changing the small connection to a larger metal surface on the ground wire. Several projects going at the same time so I bounce back and forth. Now its hurry with outside projects before the white covering.