This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Sudden Blow-by

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Sudden Blow-by

Postby ricky racer » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:29 am

I can get different readings on my dipstick just by the way I insert it. If I insert it with the hash marks up, I'll get one reading if I insert it with the hash marks down, I'll get another. To see excessive blow by, I would assume your oil level would have to be quite a bit overfilled. The Hyd. unit only holds 3 pt. of oil. If you haven't been filling the Hyd. unit over a period of time, I doubt the oil level will be high enough to cause the blow by. To cause the blow by, your crank would have to be hitting the oil in the pan.
I'd follow Eugene's advice and take a compression test for starters.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Mac AR
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 72561
Tractors Owned: 51 Farmall Cub "The little 'un"
55 Farmall 300 "The Big 'Un"
60 IH 340U "The middle 'un"

Postby Mac AR » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:57 am

Ok guys, here's an update. I checked the Touch Control, and it was nearly empty. Put about 2 pints of fluid in it. Changed oil and added Lucas oil treatment. No smoke for a bit, then used the touch control a couple times. And just like that, we have smoke again. Crankcase was once again over-full and touch control was low. So, I ordered the pump rebuild kit from TM tractor and will be overhauling the pump once the parts get here. I'll let you all know how that goes. Thanks again for all the help!

Mac
"Go get me a crescent wrench... git the biggest SOB you can find 'cause I'm gonna use it fer a hammer ennyway" - Words of Wisdom from Dad.

Circle of Safety

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:14 pm

Hi,
The Touch Control fluid should be checked, or filled, when the arms are in the rear, or down position. The fluid rises in the unit when the arms go to the rear position.
If you check it with the arms ahead, it will look low, even if it has the right amount of fluid.
If you fill it with the arms ahead, it will be overfilled.

Below is a page from the 1955 Cub owner's manual, if you don't have it, showing how to change the Touch Control fluid, and remove the air from the system. Be sure to do what it says in paragraph 4, to remove the air, the arms should go through their full travel.
It needs the air removed when you put it together again. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2064.jpg

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:53 am

There is a good there is a good thread in the "how to" forum for the pump rebuild.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Mac AR
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Mac AR » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:53 pm

Well, I fixed it. I think.

Pump kit arrived today, so I overhauled the pump and topped up the fluid. Also changed the oil and filter, and put a quart of Lucas oil treatment in for good measure. Also put some Marvel Mystery Oil in the fuel and topped up the antifreeze in preparation for the winter.

Started it up, and no change. Bled the touch control system and decided the heck with it and went and mowed some sedge grass with the #22 mower. About 20 minutes in the smoke had cleared up a bit, then all of a sudden she coughed, sputtered, belched a big gob of black smoke, and leveled back out. For the next 1.5 hours, she never smoked a bit. Ran like a champ all afternoon and the #22 mower did a fine job too.

So, in conclusion, I sincerely think that the pump was only part of the problem. Apparently there was some carbon somewhere that was causing an issue along with the over-filled crankcase. But, the little 'un seems to be back to normal now. I sincerely appreciate everyone who contributed to this thread and helped solve my problem.

Mac
"Go get me a crescent wrench... git the biggest SOB you can find 'cause I'm gonna use it fer a hammer ennyway" - Words of Wisdom from Dad.

Circle of Safety

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:59 am

Darn , no video of the look on your face when your Cub started coughing and hacking....

Hey , you're back to work. Congrats.
You get bored , a fresh set of plugs checked for proper gap could get swapped out after a hard run.
Keep track of what plug was where. They'll tell you if a cylinder is behaving a lot different than the others.

Wonder if you had a weepy ring of wet carbon at the top of one or more that collapsed /fell. (?) Or a fouled valve seat.
Anyways , it reads all better now.

Mac AR
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Mac AR » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:40 pm

Ya, that'd have been something to see. Sure was surprising I know that much. I may take your advice and grab a set of C87's Monday and see what that tells me. This Cub has given me fits at times. I bought it from an old man a few miles away from me. Spent its whole life in one family. The last few years, it only got used 2 or 3 hours a year for plowing and cultivating a small garden plot. The rest of the time it set under a cow shed. When I got it, it ran decently but needed lots of work. I put an alternator and new fan on, re-wired it, put new plugs and ignition parts in it and new (non-original) lights on.

Its been a good project for me though, during a time when I needed a project. The loss of my grandfather, my best friend moving, and the accidental amputation of a finger inside of six months had me down, but having the Cub to work (play?) with has really helped me. So has this forum. Its been nice to talk to some good people about old red iron. Thanks again you guys.

Mac

Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”