How to remove connecting rod from Rockshaft ?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
carmanic
Zip Code: 95249

How to remove connecting rod from Rockshaft ?

Postby carmanic » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:11 pm

Apologies if this has been covered already but I searched the archives and could not find an answer. I am attempting to remove the Connecting rod and pin from the Rockshaft but to no avail. (workshop manual p8-15). All cotter pins have been removed, the center nut is completely loose and I can turn the large flathead screw, but the connecting rod pin will not budge. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Daren Stone
1958 Cub Lo-Boy

carmanic
Zip Code: 95249

Re: How to remove connecting rod from Rockshaft ?

Postby carmanic » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:11 pm

Nevermind, I unscrewed the locking nut in the center of the connecting rod pin until it pushed the operating lever off the control rod pin. Then using a 1/2 height and a full height nut, I installed them on the pin as a jam nut assy, and was able to loosen the connecting rod pin with a 3/4'" box end wrench. Once the pin was was loose I removed both nuts, unscrewed the pin the rest of the way with a flathead screwdriver, and Voila ! Now the internals can be removed, cleaned & rebuilt. Stay tuned.

Daren
1958 Cub Lo-Boy

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: How to remove connecting rod from Rockshaft ?

Postby Glen » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:01 am

Hi,
I guess nobody wrote an answer here.
I wasn't sure if it needed penetrating oil to help loosen it, or something else was the problem.

I would grease inside the bushing there at the pin, when you put it together. :)