This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

A h/p confusing topic, for me

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: A h/p confusing topic, for me

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:08 pm

Some of you continue to confuse force with power. It isn't just a question of how much something can pull, but also how fast it pulls it. You can attach one end of a come-along to a standing tree and the other end to a log. You will be able to move the log. But it doesn't mean you are producing far more than 2 horsepower. You will be there all day to move it a few feet.

Watts determination of one horsepower was not the maximum a horse could produce. It was based on what a horse could continuously produce (or do on average) during a day's work.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:59 pm

"How to increase horsepower for cheap

This is an Argentine Falabella horse. They grow to about 16 inches tall. They aren’t particularly strong, so if you measure engine output in Falabella Horsepower, you have more horsepower."

Saw on facebook

One way to make a cub a 45hp tractor
Attachments
horse.jpg
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:11 am

I'm a little late to this party and it may have already been stated, but the reason for the 35HP recommendation on your Woods backhoe was most likely due to the SIZE and/or WEIGHT of the tractor needed to handle the backhoe. HP recommendations are used because that figure is readily available, and most likely to be known by the owner of the tractor.

That's why it has worked fine on your Cub all these years. A compact tractor the physical size and weight of a Cub generally runs around 30-35 engine HP.

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:09 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:I'm a little late to this party and it may have already been stated, but the reason for the 35HP recommendation on your Woods backhoe was most likely due to the SIZE and/or WEIGHT of the tractor needed to handle the backhoe. HP recommendations are used because that figure is readily available, and most likely to be known by the owner of the tractor.

That's why it has worked fine on your Cub all these years. A compact tractor the physical size and weight of a Cub generally runs around 30-35 engine HP.

I was thinking this, but was struggling to put it into words. I think you're dead-on.
Jim

Circle of Safety

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:48 am

Matt. I think you're right. Woods probably figured they'd have to get too technical on specifics so that specific size tractor was easier. The Kabota the backhoe was mounted on was similar in size to the cub (shorter but beefier)

Now, if I had to go strictly by the size of the backhoe Woods 7500 groundbreaker, an Auburn 6 gal pump 540rpm, backhoe weighed =/- 950#(optional 16" bucket and rubber street pads and pump kit)
New Updated info from Woods
Specifications

GENERAL
Tractor Engine HP 25 - 50 hp
Tractor PTO 20 - 40 hp
Digging depth - 2' flat 90"
Digging depth - 8' flat 70"
Rear bumper 119"
Loading height 73"
Loading Reach 46"
Transport height 74"
Transport length 45"
Approx. Shipping Weight (w/o Bucket) 842 lbs
Swing arc 180°
Bucket rotation 180°
Leveling Angle 10°
Relief pressure 2,470 psi
Bucket digging force 3,380 lbs
Dipperstick digging force 2,230 lbs
Bucket widths 9", 12", 16", 18", 24"
Thumb Optional mechanical
Flip-Over Stabilizer Pads Yes
Stabilizer street pads Optional
PTO pump kit Optional

I probably should've passed on the project but glad I didnt.
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:57 am

Matt Kirsch wrote:I'm a little late to this party and it may have already been stated, but the reason for the 35HP recommendation on your Woods backhoe was most likely due to the SIZE and/or WEIGHT of the tractor needed to handle the backhoe. HP recommendations are used because that figure is readily available, and most likely to be known by the owner of the tractor.

Only fashionably late...but right on target. :)
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

ShawnAgne
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45380
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub w/ 184 motor (Kid)
12V with Petronix
IH 3160 Mower Deck
54 Leveling Blade
193 Plow
IH528 Trailer
Front/Rear Weights
1955 Farmall 300 (Clarence)
12V with Petronix
Woods L306 72"
1955 Farmall 100 (Thomas)
12V with Petronix
Woods L59 60"
A60 Leveling Blade
Front/Rear Weights

Postby ShawnAgne » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:59 pm

Rick Prentice wrote:Matt. I think you're right. Woods probably figured they'd have to get too technical on specifics so that specific size tractor was easier. The Kabota the backhoe was mounted on was similar in size to the cub (shorter but beefier)

Now, if I had to go strictly by the size of the backhoe Woods 7500 groundbreaker, an Auburn 6 gal pump 540rpm, backhoe weighed =/- 950#(optional 16" bucket and rubber street pads and pump kit)
New Updated info from Woods
Specifications

GENERAL
Tractor Engine HP 25 - 50 hp
Tractor PTO 20 - 40 hp
Digging depth - 2' flat 90"
Digging depth - 8' flat 70"
Rear bumper 119"
Loading height 73"
Loading Reach 46"
Transport height 74"
Transport length 45"
Approx. Shipping Weight (w/o Bucket) 842 lbs
Swing arc 180°
Bucket rotation 180°
Leveling Angle 10°
Relief pressure 2,470 psi
Bucket digging force 3,380 lbs
Dipperstick digging force 2,230 lbs
Bucket widths 9", 12", 16", 18", 24"
Thumb Optional mechanical
Flip-Over Stabilizer Pads Yes
Stabilizer street pads Optional
PTO pump kit Optional

I probably should've passed on the project but glad I didnt.

Just because I think that project is one of the neater things I've seen is it in a thread here on the forum? Very curious how things were done.
Shawn Agne

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:16 am

Rick Prentice wrote:I probably should've passed on the project but glad I didnt.

Even an "underpowered" backhoe is better than a shovel any day!!!

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:24 am

Matt Kirsch wrote:
Rick Prentice wrote:I probably should've passed on the project but glad I didnt.

Even an "underpowered" backhoe is better than a shovel any day!!!

I got out of high school early my junior and senior year and worked at a large landscape nursery. We were taking a break one day and the boss walked up and ask "anybody ever run a backhoe?" one boy said "my grandpa had one, I ran it some" boss said come on, walked out and he had a wheelbarrow and a shovel, nobody ever coughed up info about running anything after that :lol:
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:41 am

ShawnAgne asked " is it in a thread here on the forum? Very curious how things were done." Here's the very first post about it back in '04. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5387&hilit=backhoe

Matt wrote "Even an "underpowered" backhoe is better than a shovel any day!!!"
Very true. there's No Way I would dig these next few pics by hand :shock:
http://photos.cubfest.com/displayimage. ... =53&pos=48
http://photos.cubfest.com/displayimage. ... =53&pos=71
http://photos.cubfest.com/displayimage. ... m=53&pos=6
Plus 700feet of drainage trenching at my old property, 400 feet at the neighbor's, 300feet of waterline at my brother's, numerous deep holes for neighbor's pet dog burials, even a sheep, numerous bush and tree removal/transplants, the list goes on.

I was amazed at how many people at various tractor shows would make the comment "that thing wouldn't dig deep enough to bury a water line" or "that thing is useless" My reply was always "Grab a shovel and lets have a contest"

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Gary S.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60102
Tractors Owned: '49 Farmall Cub purchased 1960
'59 International Lo-Boy purchased 1987
'48 Ford 8N family owned since new

L59 woods mower
Mott Flail mower 4'
Mott Flail mower 6'
Prewitt post hole digger with mounts for Cub and Ford
Grading and leveling blade with snow ext and hydraulic angle

Postby Gary S. » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:05 am

Great analogy Rick. I'll bet people told the Wright brothers they would never fly either

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .

Postby coppersmythe » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:01 pm

Rick Prentice wrote:ShawnAgne asked " is it in a thread here on the forum? Very curious how things were done." Here's the very first post about it back in '04. http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewto ... it=backhoe

Matt wrote "Even an "underpowered" backhoe is better than a shovel any day!!!"
Very true. there's No Way I would dig these next few pics by hand :shock:
http://photos.cubfest.com/displayimage. ... =53&pos=48
http://photos.cubfest.com/displayimage. ... =53&pos=71
http://photos.cubfest.com/displayimage. ... m=53&pos=6
Plus 700feet of drainage trenching at my old property, 400 feet at the neighbor's, 300feet of waterline at my brother's, numerous deep holes for neighbor's pet dog burials, even a sheep, numerous bush and tree removal/transplants, the list goes on.

I was amazed at how many people at various tractor shows would make the comment "that thing wouldn't dig deep enough to bury a water line" or "that thing is useless" My reply was always "Grab a shovel and lets have a contest"

Rick
so many people have said it "couldn't , wouldn't, shouldn't work , and gave the "formula's" that said so . rick ( well , hmmmmm) prentice has
been using it with success for "years" . i would be curious to read the reasons/formulas for why it has worked, in spite of the naysayers ? coppersmythe......................................

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:02 pm

The only thing I said was make sure the hydraulic oil doesn’t get too hot. You need a oil tank. Heat and dirt is the biggest killer in hydraulics.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:18 am

coppersmythe wrote:so many people have said it "couldn't , wouldn't, shouldn't work , and gave the "formula's" that said so . rick ( well , hmmmmm) prentice has
been using it with success for "years" . i would be curious to read the reasons/formulas for why it has worked, in spite of the naysayers ? coppersmythe......................................

There's a difference between "it won't work" and "you may not be happy with it." Some people simply have trouble articulating the latter and it comes out sounding like the former.

The formulas are for OPTIMAL performance, if you want to squeeze out every last drop of speed and power.

It comes up whenever there's a debate about Cub powered log splitters, especially ones powered off the touch control pump. It's not "not going to work," but it will be slow and/or limited on power. Heck you may be slow and limited on power too, and may not notice, LOL ;)

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .

Postby coppersmythe » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:48 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:
coppersmythe wrote:so many people have said it "couldn't , wouldn't, shouldn't work , and gave the "formula's" that said so . rick ( well , hmmmmm) prentice has

There's a difference between "it won't work" and "you may not be happy with it." Some people simply have trouble articulating the latter and it comes out sounding like the former.

The formulas are for OPTIMAL performance, if you want to squeeze out every last drop of speed and power.

It comes up whenever there's a debate about Cub powered log splitters, especially ones powered off the touch control pump. It's not "not going to work," but it will be slow and/or limited on power. Heck you may be slow and limited on power too, and may not notice, LOL ;)
i can only go by ricks reputation , and the description of the work he has done with it , sounds like he's very happy with the performance . i am just curious why it does work so well ( ricks experience) when so many seemed to think it would not . :shock: :D coppersmythe................

Return to “Farmall Cub”