This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cant remove broken driveshaft from transmission

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
oblakmd
10+ Years
10+ Years

Cant remove broken driveshaft from transmission

Postby oblakmd » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:50 pm

So driveshaft is broken where it enters the transmission casing. The driveshaft moves freely but not the spline inside the case. I removed the bearing retainer but cannot pull the shaft from the bearing. I also have the tractor split at the clutch bell.

You can see the video here https://youtu.be/5LScxyzOXXM
Attachments
cub driveshaft.PNG
cub driveshaft.PNG (349.49 KiB) Viewed 398 times

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cant remove broken driveshaft from transmission

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:05 pm

PM sent.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:20 pm

you need to pull the transmission back 1st so that the shaft is out of the torque tube, then you can grab the shaft and pull it out, you put a pry bar between the case and the vise grips for some leverage to pop it free from the bearing on the rear of the shaft

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:55 pm

Hi,
The ball bearing on the shaft at the front of the transmission should be tight on the shaft, and come out with the shaft.
It is pressed on the shaft, and should have a snap ring also on the shaft.

Below are pages from the Cub parts manual showing it, if you need them.

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 007-08.jpg

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 007-09.jpg

Since you have it apart, be sure the shaft you use has a good PTO pilot bushing, in the rear of the shaft.
People have said on here that their PTOs didn't work right when the bushing was wornout.
TM Tractor has a new bushing, if needed.
Grease the front end of the clutch shaft, that goes in the pilot bushing, and front end of the PTO shaft, that goes in the PTO pilot bushing, when putting it together.

The side of the trans front seal retainer with the bulge faces into the trans.

Maybe you knew this info already.

Below are pics from TM Tractor of the shaft and bearing, and the pilot bushing in the rear of the shaft. :)
Attachments
Cub trans shaft 5.jpg
Cub trans shaft 4.jpg
Cub trans shaft 7.jpg
Cub trans shaft 7.jpg (11.37 KiB) Viewed 371 times

oblakmd
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby oblakmd » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:05 pm

Thanks to all. A few more whacks on the vise grip and it came out. Was able to pull it out through the torque tube!

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:54 pm

Can you post a pic of the area that cracked? Mine cracked At the bearing outside the tranny.
I wonder how good my pilot shaft bearing in the crank is too?

I haven’t inspected the replacement shaft yet to see if there’s a square corner or radius in the corner of the cut. If it’s square it’s prone to crack.

Having the machine building background plus the engineering test lab experience I also purchased the book on “engineering to win”. Having seen things from both sides of the fence plus having my son who has two degrees in engineering helps me too. I like getting him involved in the hands on too besides being book smart. I was mentoring the new fresh out of school new engineers too. The basic machine and fabrication and how to design things so the mechanic in the field repairing it has a easy job.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:10 pm

That snap ring groove, in the bottom of the groove is square I believe that’s were mine cracked. The square cut should of been a radius. Or the better way to capture the bearing on the shaft is to thread it and use a spammer nut with locking tabs. It’s a design error.

http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/download/f ... &mode=view

I wonder how many cubs had broken drive shafts and is it common? Luckily I purchased two like new drive shafts from ralph with a complete tranny and two pto complete assemblies.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Return to “Farmall Cub”