This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

idle tube

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
papscub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 40175
Tractors Owned: !957 Ford 860
!949 Farmall Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

idle tube

Postby papscub » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:21 am

I know, another idle tube question but i spent an hour reading all the posts bashing the video by "that girl" and many more but i can't find what i'm looking for. From what i've read it's threaded in but i can't get mine out. I rebuilt the carb and when i tried to blow thru that time i couldn't get any air thru it. Other than missing a smooth idle ,will i be ok to just leave well enough alone? Y'all have answered all my other dumb questions and anxious to start it today. Have all the light s working and it's an unusual 60 degrees here today, would love to reassemble the carb and drive it out to the drive where i can pressure wash and put some paint on it.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Re: idle tube

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:38 am

The orifice in the threaded end is .0021", so you probably wouldn't notice air coming through it. You could take a fine sewing needle and see if it would insert about 3/8" which would have it through the hole. When I remove a broken one, I'll spray it with penetrating oil first, then use a small left hand drill bit. Often they will unscrew without more effort. If that doesn't work, I enlarge the hole (using a hand pin vise to hold the bit) and chase it with a 4-48 tap. If you have the opportunity to attend a Cubfest, you could get it fixed at most. You can run the Cub without hurting anything with a broken idle tube. Hope that helps.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

papscub
5+ Years
5+ Years
!949 Farmall Cub

Postby papscub » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:43 am

It’s not broken and I have I wire I can push down the orifice but I can’t see it when I look thru the threaded hole of the idle adjustment screw so I’m thinking it’s blocked at that junction, that’s why I wanted to get the tube out but can’t and don’t want to put too much pressure on it for fear of breaking it

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:46 am

I misunderstood. In that case, spray it good with a penetrating oil. I clamp on some small vice grips and very gently twist it back and forth a very small amount. It will eventually loosen, or if it's too corroded in the threads, it will twist off. As the orifice is in the threaded end, if the long tube breaks off, it will still function correctly.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

papscub
5+ Years
5+ Years
!949 Farmall Cub

Postby papscub » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:50 am