opinions and/or options needed

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
papscub
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 40175
Tractors Owned: !957 Ford 860
!949 Farmall Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

opinions and/or options needed

Postby papscub » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:11 pm

Frequent poster here lately,here's a history of how i got to this point. Received a '49 Cub that had been my Grandfather's and sitting for years last summer. Checked the oil and fluids, tinkered with carb and it fired and ran,actually cultivated the garden with it. Had a rough spot in life and it sat again,when i went to use it this year it wouldn't turn over, it had hydrolocked from water down the exhaust pipe. Got it unstuck and replaced the valves,springs, keepers, cleaned up the valve seats,rebuilt the carb, new amp gauge, oil pressure gauge and new head gasket and head bolts. Untangled the wiring mess and actually got all the lights working. Now i'm all excited to fire it up and..............nothing,doesn't even make a pop, no effort to fire and gas pouring from carb. Have a good blue spark,gas and i figured since it ran before it should have compression but no, it only has 50-60 in each cylinder. Now i'm thinking i'll recheack valve clearances since that's the only thing that's really changed,but if the valves are in the specs what should i look at next? It's just not in the cards to take the engine to a shop for a rebore, I'm thinking of putting air pressure on each cylinder when it's at TDC to see where the leak is and go from there. It will only be used to sickle bar a field and maybe ride in the little hometown parade so it doesn't have to be perfect. Sorry for the rambling, just so aggravated that i spent so much time and money and it's worse than it was when it had valves with a pound of crud on each of them. I've read this entire forum i think gleaning info and followed all the info. Best forum on the internet

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Re: opinions and/or options needed

Postby tst » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:32 pm

when you say you cleaned the valve seats what did you do?, you say you replaced the valves, seats would have to be recut for new valves, old pitted seats would leak a lot, 60 lbs compression is not enough to make it run

papscub
Cub Star
Cub Star
!949 Farmall Cub

Postby papscub » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:46 pm

I bought a valve cutter and cleaned the seats up. For as much crud that was on the valves they cleaned up really well. That's why i was going to put air pressure on each cylinder to see where my leak is.

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:54 pm

Each change , can create the need for another change...

If you have not , revisiting the carb float height would follow a rebuilt carb issue. As well as everything else carb....

You touched a wire (well,more than one) and that can cause a jinx.
Is your on/off switch working right? You're not getting a pop....Just like the kill switch/ circuit is on.

With hot spark , clean properly gapped plugs , shut your gas off after cranking briefly. If it ain't poppin off , you don't need more fuel.
Is fuel getting vaporized? Meaning air intake clean and unobstructed? Proper oil and level in air cleaner too.

With changes , re-timing the engine should be considered necessary.

You're already going to recheck valve gaps. That's good.

I'd rather put bad spark plugs in and some light oil then cranking , then putting good plugs in and trying for fire. Before putting air to cylinders looking for blow by.
You already re-primed the oil pump , right? Dry cylinders are not much for compression. You may have stuck rings from setting.
It ran on previous compression before it got wet and sat. If stuck rings cause low compression and you put air to it and it blows by...You're going to think more than let me run it oiled and see if rings free up...And think re-bore ,new rings ect.. Nothing wrong with that as you would know what you have.. But....Now you're back to time and money.

Be good to your mule. Drowning is hard on em if you want em to work.

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby tst » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:21 pm

did you check where the valve face "seats" on the valve seat?, it should be in the middle of the valve, if the seat is below or over top of the face it will leak, if a lot of metal has been cut from the seat many times the top of the seat has to be cut for the valve to face to seat correctly

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:45 pm

Hi,
Below is a page from the Cub service manual, showing how the valves should fit in the valve seats. :)

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/gss- ... 001-24.jpg

papscub
Cub Star
Cub Star
!949 Farmall Cub

Postby papscub » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:57 am

Glen wrote:Hi,
Below is a page from the Cub service manual, showing how the valves should fit in the valve seats. :)

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/gss- ... 001-24.jpg

Thanks Glen, you actually put me on this page in my original question about the valves. When i lapped the new valves they all seated where they should by the diagrams.

papscub
Cub Star
Cub Star
!949 Farmall Cub

Postby papscub » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:06 am

Waif, yes i primed the pump but i never turn it over more than 10 seconds or so at a time so the oil pressure gauge doesn't move. I did squirt some oil into each spark plug hole and got the compression up to 70 lbs. I'm starting to question my head bolts. I bought some from a website that i'm seeing negative comments about. They sent stainless bolts and wondering if they're not holding the torque even tho it's only 45 pounds. Also i read the manual and set the valves word for word 1,2,3 and 5 on number one compression and 4,6,7, and 8 on number four compression. I haven't had a chance to get to the garage yet this morning but going to check clearances again first, if they're good going to take the stainless head bolts out and clean the old hardened bolts up and try it again. Then i'll go the air on each cylinder to look for leaks.

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby tst » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:47 pm

if the valves are correct then the last thing is worn pistons/rings , a trick that does work sometimes is when a engine is tired with low compression is tow it in gear, this will help warm the engine up and make the rings expand a little if you are lucky and pop start it in high gear, this is not a fix for a worn engine, if the rings are stuck from sitting you might luck out with this and get it going, just make sure you have the timing correct and fuel supply working

Stanton
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:53 pm

papscub wrote:...I'm starting to question my head bolts. I bought some from a website that i'm seeing negative comments about. They sent stainless bolts and wondering if they're not holding the torque even tho it's only 45 pounds...

Not sure I've ever read anyone using stainless steel for headbolts; usually a Grade 8 or 9. Here's an old post with comments about that subject:
http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=99022&p=780412&hilit=head+bolts+stainless#p780412
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety