This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Confusion about year of my cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
calebpalmer86
Zip Code: 30513

Confusion about year of my cub

Postby calebpalmer86 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:45 am

:help:
My grandfather passed away 15 years ago and left me his Cub tractor. I didn’t know what year it was, but thought it was a late 40s model. The aluminum plate has been painted over and is solid yellow. The markings on the body say 1-13-T, which would suggest that the tractor is a 1972 model. However, this tractor has a vertical exhaust and the older metal seat, neither of which the 72 have. I’m very new to this, but hoping to get it running and want to make sure I get the correct parts for the right year. How do I know for sure?
Thanks so much in advance.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Confusion about year of my cub

Postby Barnyard » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:03 am

If the hood is rounded I would say 1950, If it is squared then I go with 1972.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

calebpalmer86

Postby calebpalmer86 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:16 am

The sides of the hood are rounded, but (I think) the front is square. The other thing that is throwing me off is that it’s yellow and white and most of the earlier ones are red. Does that make any difference?

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:45 am

If it has a squared hood it would be a 1972. Cubs that year were yellow and white.

Does it look similar to this? Image
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

calebpalmer86

Postby calebpalmer86 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:16 pm

I’ll have to take a look at the hood next time I’m where the tractor is. Thanks so much.

Drfting1
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 24151
Tractors Owned: 53 Cub
59 cub

Postby Drfting1 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:22 pm

If the plate is still there.... You could always use some aircraft paint remover.... A lot of stores carry it
Bill Longeill

calebpalmer86

Postby calebpalmer86 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:18 pm

I think the plate is still there, so I may look into that. The yellow and white makes me think it’s a 72, but apparently it’s been painted since the plate has yellow paint over it. Maybe it wasn’t originally yellow and white. How much weight should I place on the exhaust being vertical rather than going to the back of the tractor? That makes me think it’s a 50 model.

calebpalmer86

Postby calebpalmer86 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:24 pm

Also, there are areas of red visible where yellow has flaked off, mainly under the fenders. I just assumed this was primer, but I guess it could be where they painted over the original red.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:24 pm

The exhaust indicates it is a 1950. Everything you are telling us points to a 1950. Can you get the serial number off the engine?

Image courtesy of TM Tractor Parts

Circle of Safety

calebpalmer86

Postby calebpalmer86 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:46 pm

I’ll try to do that this weekend. Thanks for all the help everybody!

Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.

Postby Crimson Tim » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:44 pm

Most later Cubs had the underslung exhaust and the deluxe seat, but I believe both the vertical exhaust and the pan seat remained options until the end?
Lots of things would have changed between 1950 and 1972.
Electrical system
Brake style
Hood, grille and doglegs
IH vs. Zenith carb (actually, wasn’t this just a bit later?)
6v vs 12v

Many of those things could have been swapped out by a previous owner. If you are not able to come to a complete consensus, you could look at part numbers cast into the larger castings. Many of them had revision numbers appended to them that should help to pin that year down.

Pictures would help!

Edit: good call about the engine serial number. In the early years, this would have been close to the tractor serial number.
The tractor serial number was stamped into the plate by the base of the steering column, so if the number plate is still there, the serial number should be there, too, under the paint.

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:27 pm

calebpalmer86 wrote:I’ll try to do that this weekend. Thanks for all the help everybody!

That's why we're here. Welcome to the Forum!

Take some time and read through a few threads to acquaint yourself with the Forum:

Don't know if you have all the manuals to your Cub, but now that you have 2 posts, you can access all the free PDF downloads in the Manuals section. They are located via "Quick Links" in the upper left corner of your screen. Hit that and a pull-down appears where you'll find "PDF Manuals". Through that link, you'll be able to download an Owner's Manual (very strongly recommended) and any service manuals that interest you. You'll be able to familiarize yourself with your new-to-you Cub more quickly. Implement Manuals are also available.

We’d encourage you to take the Safety Test located in the Safety Forum: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=68084

Might also enjoy reading through this thread (even though it’s for a Cub, much can be applied to any tractor just brought home): What to do with a Cub you just brought home

There are a lot of good threads dealing with Cub repair and maintenance in the How To Forum. Located here: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=11

Any type of paint stripper will work on removing paint from the nameplate. The serial numbers are inscribed into the metal, so they should show up no matter how you remove the paint.

Reference the links above and take some pictures of your Cub and post them, we’d like to see it. Remember, when posting, use the Preview button before hitting Submit--it'll show you exactly what your post will look like.

Glad you joined us.

:tractor:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:47 pm

Crimson Tim wrote:Most later Cubs had the underslung exhaust and the deluxe seat, but I believe both the vertical exhaust and the pan seat remained options until the end?

. . .

Many of those things could have been swapped out by a previous owner. . . .

Right on both counts. In '54 they changed from vertical to underslung exhaust. Before long, they recognized a demand for a vertical exhaust and reinstated it as an option until the end. How many people on this site have reported converting their underslung exhaust to a vertical? More than one or two.

The deluxe seat was introduced as an option (evidently in about '56) and remained as an option until the end.

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .

Postby coppersmythe » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:31 pm

Jim Becker wrote:
Crimson Tim wrote:Most later Cubs had the underslung exhaust and the deluxe seat, but I believe both the vertical exhaust and the pan seat remained options until the end?

. . .

Many of those things could have been swapped out by a previous owner. . . .

Right on both counts. In '54 they changed from vertical to underslung exhaust. Before long, they recognized a demand for a vertical exhaust and reinstated it as an option until the end. How many people on this site have reported converting their underslung exhaust to a vertical? More than one or two.

The deluxe seat was introduced as an option (evidently in about '56) and remained as an option until the end.
I've changed one of mine from underslung to vertical , i pull a trailer with my grandkids for hayrides , and the underslung ( used to ) blows exhaust fumes right to them . coppersmythe....................

Drfting1
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 24151
Tractors Owned: 53 Cub
59 cub

Postby Drfting1 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:43 pm

Please take some pics of your cub and post them, would love to see it
Bill Longeill