This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

6V System w/4 position switch w/cutout and Delco Remy Regulator

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Whitecub50
Zip Code: 46360

Re: 6V System w/4 position switch w/cutout and Delco Remy Regulator

Postby Whitecub50 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:22 pm

No it’s a classic! Definitely not smart, and oldie but goodie and it will roast a battery if let go.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Glen » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:15 pm

Hi,
Since you have doubt about the battery, I would take it to the place you bought it and ask them to test it to see if it performs right.
If they can't, then take it to another auto parts store that can.

I doubt that what you wrote about the polarizing the system damaged the battery, but I'm not there.

People have said on here that some of the new Cub starters don't work right.
You could try taking it off and connect good jumper cables to it from a good 6 volt battery, and run it for a minute at a time and see if it runs right, it should go at a fast RPM.

The people on here have recommended to have the original starter rebuilt, or if it worked before, you can replace the brushes and the 2 bushings in it.

The time I recommended for charging the battery was for if it is low.
A battery can act strange if it has a bad cell, it can charge up quickly, but then not run the starter much, and run down quickly. :)

Whitecub50

Postby Whitecub50 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:43 pm

Thanks glen. I bought the brand new battery tonight and put it in tractor and same exact thing, turns over like it’s dead! All of my wiring is clean new and correct, grounds are flawless at this point and it still barley cranks over. I tested the last battery for voltage drop and it didn’t drop below 5.4-5.5 when cranking which says that the battery should be good. So I returned a good battery for another good battery and nothing! I really think something is wrong with the starter?? I have no clue as to what else it could be?? I just ordered and older starter on eBay that’s original and the guy claims it works great, so I guess we will see when it gets here? If you have any other ideas as to why it’s cranking slow slow like a dead battery please let me know. Also when I do crank it over the starter will in a sense lock up?? I’ll be cranking it and and stop and then try to crank it again and it won’t do anything, I have to tap it with a hammer and when i do it starts turning over again but real slow like it’s dead??? HELP!!!

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Postby Bill V in Md » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:20 pm

I would remove starter from tractor, and connect it directly to the new battery to determine if the starter will spin freely.
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

Whitecub50

Postby Whitecub50 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:31 pm

Ok thanks. I will do that. Right after I bought the starter brand new out-of-the-box it was doing the same thing that it’s doing now I took it into local electric shop they bench tested it it’s spun like crazy they even put it under a load and said nothing was wrong with the starter but yet with all new wiring all the ground connections cleaned and good it’s still cranks over like it’s dead even with a brand new battery. I wilol check it again and see what happens, if it’s spins good I’ll take it back to shop and see if they can figure it out. This one has everyone stumped??

Whitecub50

Postby Whitecub50 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:38 pm

Like I was told by some On here that some of the new starters don’t work like the original should and to have the original rebuilt or find an original one to put in its place?? At this point I’m pulling my hair out. If the original starter I bought ( not a re-pop) Doesn't work when it is delivered I wi be absolutely lost.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:56 pm

A quick question, since I may have missed it in an earlier post. Are you using the same switch that's mounted on the starter on both starters? As you probably know, they are notorious for having bad contacts.
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Whitecub50

Postby Whitecub50 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:58 pm

Well I haven’t gotten the new starter yet I just ordered it but the switch is brand new out of the box. It’s only been used literally like 3 times is far. I thought that might be the problem and it’s not??

Whitecub50

Postby Whitecub50 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:05 am

The starter literally will quit working after cranking it a few times and then while I’m holding the starter rod out in the start position I tap the starter with hammer and it starts cranking again. The starter is brand new it hasn’t been used that much actually it’s only been used since I bought it for cranking tractor over recently since it’s never worked right and now I’m trying to figure that out. The rest of the times I’ve used the tractor I’ve hand cranked it.

Whitecub50

Postby Whitecub50 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:57 am

Figured out my starter problem and why It’s been turning over so slow acting like it has a dead battery after painstakingly going through every single wire ground connection and so on third brand new battery I finally pulled the starter out of hooked power up to it and it’s grinding and barely turning on my bench sounds like something came apart inside the starter so that is for sure my starting problem. Thanks so much to everybody that helped me with info and ideas as to what my problem could be.

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:01 pm

Starter switch problem that I had: manufacturing defect on the interior insulating washer for the bolt that contacts the starter "nub". I could tap the switch while the engage rod was pulled and the switch would work. Disassembled the switch and removed some of the insulating washer. Reassembled and no more starter issues.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Whitecub50

Postby Whitecub50 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:50 pm

Switch isn’t the problem, it’s brand new and I looked at all of that. I pulled my starter out and put it in my vise to test it, when I hooked power up and depressed the starter switch button the starter made a horrible grinding noise. Took dust/inspection cover off starter and it’s full of shavings. The armature is all chewed up, and it doesn’t spin that fast so under a load (engaging the flywheel) it would just stalls out. The starter was a remanufactured one. Seems that it wasn’t done very well?? Have a older original starter coming out of a working tractor that’s being parted out. So I should be rocking and rolling when it gets here?

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:37 pm

Hi,
Good that you found the problem.

When you get the starter you are buying, I would remove the band and look at the brushes with a light, and see if they are ok, or worn down.
The commutator should be clean and shiny too, they don't work good dirty.
You can't tell about the bushings without disassembling the starter, they can be worn and let the armature rub on the magnets in the case, then it will turn slower and use more power.

The ends of the starter band go at the bottom, when the starter is on the engine.

Below is a pic of an armature that was rubbing, you can see the marks at the ends of the large part of it. :)
Attachments
Cub starter armature.jpg

Whitecub50

Postby Whitecub50 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:43 pm

Yeah I definitely will check and clean as needed. And correct me if I’m wrong but the starter out on the bench with power hooked to it and engaged should turn like crazy right? Not start off slow and run weak?? I’m pretty sure I know the answer to this just getting second opinion.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Glen » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:55 pm

Hi,
Yes, the starter should run fast when off the engine.

Below is a page from the Cub service manual. The starter specs are on the right side of the page.
It shows the RPM for them.
The 2 lower starters in the chart are the 6 volt starters. :)

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/gss- ... 009-04.jpg

Return to “Farmall Cub”