Dads 1948 Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dadsfarmalls
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 61081
Tractors Owned: 1945 Farmall M
1948 Farmall Cub
1955 Farmall 200
1965 IH Cub

Dads 1948 Cub

Postby Dadsfarmalls » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:21 pm

So I've spent a little time the last couple days cleaning up the 48 a little bit (still have a long way to go). So what I know about this tractor is dad had it for quite a while, and from what I was told for the most part it always started up and ran fine. Well of course that was before we moved it to my house last fall. This spring I changed the spark plugs on it to see if that would help but it didn't, and I checked to make sure all the plugs were firing. So yesterday I decided to pull the tank off and drained it and sure enough it had some water in it (probably from sitting outside while we got the garage cleaned up enough to put it in there), so I'm guessing that's what my starting problem was. Other problems I know about are a small gas leak at the carburetor, the gas line from the sediment bowl to carburetor is rigged halfway with a hose, some of the wiring are chewed through to bare wire, front wheels shake left to right really bad when going faster on pavement, and I'm sure all fluids need to be changed and gas tank needs to be cleaned, also not sure how big of an issue the rust under the seat and I think on the rear axle is.

My original thoughts for this tractor was to restore it myself, doesn't have to be a museum piece, just want it to look nice and know that everything is running correctly and taken care of and also I want to learn to work on them. Other than mowing the yard, plowing snow a few times a year, and possibly some small gardening these tractors (48 & 65) aren't going to have a lot of operating time (except for the occasional just get on it and go for a drive), at least for this point in time.
Attachments
48g.jpg
48f.jpg
48e.jpg
48d.jpg
48c.jpg
48a1.jpg

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Dads 1948 Cub

Postby tst » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:37 pm

from the factory that was a 6 volt positive ground system with a generator, it has been converted to a 12 volt alternator and looks to be a key switch on it so do not expect the wiring diagrams to be whats on that tractor
check the steering arms to make sure they are not loose where bolted to the spindle, common issue on early cubs
check your point gap and condition also for starting issues, that has a distributor so they should be .020

Dadsfarmalls
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 61081
Tractors Owned: 1945 Farmall M
1948 Farmall Cub
1955 Farmall 200
1965 IH Cub

Postby Dadsfarmalls » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:07 pm

thanks tst

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Postby Bill V in Md » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:44 pm

Being as you already have the tank removed, you might wish to consider using a small, temporary gas tank (pony tank) that you can use prior to reinstalling the hood/tank to make it easier to troubleshoot your ignition problems. You can use an old discarded lawnmower tank and there are plenty of posts here with instructions. Good luck with your Dad’s Farmall.
Bill VanHooser
Circle of Safety

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:55 pm

Hi,
If there isn't spark, the ignition points could be dirty or corroded from sitting. They may need filing or replacing, and the gap set correctly. The condenser could be bad too.

Below are pages showing a Battery Ignition unit, and replacing the points.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-11.jpg

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-12.jpg

To replace the points, I sit down next to the engine on a lawn chair, use a good light, and put a towel on the ground, to catch any screws I might drop.
You need a short screwdriver with a sort of wide blade, and an 11/32", I think, open end wrench for the nut holding the end of the point spring.

While you have the hood off, it looks like it needs a new alternator belt, the adjustment is all the way out to the outer end. It would be helpful to take the belt to an auto parts store, and they can measure it's length. It might need to be 1/2" or 1' shorter, or shorter than that.
When needing to fit a belt like that, I have asked the person if I can buy more than 1 belt, and try them on, and return the belts that don't fit.
That probably works better if you have an auto parts store where they know you.

You have to remove the fan belt to replace the alternator belt. You work the belt over 1 fan blade at a time.
The new fan belts I buy at Case IH make the fan shaft a little less than half way up the slot that holds the fan assembly. They don't use the lower part of the slot, except to slide the fan down when changing the belt.
Don't buy too short a fan belt, I think it causes problems with the position of the pulley on the fan hub that drives the generator, or alternator. My opinion.
Don't turn the nut at the rear of the fan shaft, it has to stay in the slot. Turn the shaft on the 6 sided place, ahead of the slot. It usually takes a narrow wrench.
The Cub operator's manual tells about changing the belts.

Below is a pic from TM Tractor of the right steering arm, the setscrews commonly wear at the pointed end, and the hole in the shaft may wear too. They need tightening if loose.
They make steering play if loose.
Loosen the lock nut to tighten the setscrew. :)
Attachments
Cub steering arm right .jpg

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:21 pm

Looks like a nice Cub!

I'd black flag it till fuel leak is fixed.

Then double check your point gap and timing as suggested.
While your checking things , make sure the firing order on both ends of your ignition are in order. (Just in case some one like me worked on it .L.o.l.)
And your rotor is in the right position.