Need advice on how to cultivate

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ben B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24354
Tractors Owned: 1950 Farmall Cub post demo 108xxx
1964 Farmall Cub 6 volt
1968 Fairmont Railroad Motor Car 2 cycle hit and miss single cylinder
Circle of Safety: Y

Need advice on how to cultivate

Postby Ben B » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:16 pm

Hello again everyone. As usual, I have a question.

How do you set up a garden to be able to cultivate it with a cub? I have a full set of cultivators but have never really used them because our garden row spacing has always come out wrong. No one ever told me or showed me how. Obviously I’m just no good at figuring out how to set up the cub to do it because all my attempts have been incorrect.

I’m planning on doing a big garden this year, and cultivating it would sure beat hoeing it! Especially when I have a good set of cultivators, but I’m just too ignorant to figure it out. Knowing me, I’m probably over thinking it. :?
1950 Farmall Cub post demo 108xxx
1964 Farmall Cub 6 volt 223xxx
1968 Fairmont Railroad Motor Car 2 cycle hit and miss single cylinder

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1948 Allis Chalmers G
1947 Cub
1952 Cub
1940 Farmall H
154 Cub LoBoy

Re: Need advice on how to cultivate

Postby tmays » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:35 pm

Depends on your cultivator setup. Also depends on what you want to plant. Give us an idea of what you’re planting and we can better advise you. The easiest way to go is to use 40” rows and set your tire width to 40”. That way when you plant(if you have a planter) you can just use your previous track for your next row. Then set your cultivators up. While plants are young, a set of shields will help with getting close to the plants. As your crop grows, you’ll adjust the sweeps next to the plants out some as the crop dictates. Use the cub-144 manual here on the forum to set up the cultivators. Quite a few combinations available on tools for the toolbars
Thomas

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:32 am

How big is the intended large garden?

On line, state university extension service for suggested row and plant spacing for vegetables.

My thoughts. Assuming assorted vegetables. Unless you are planting an acre or two of the same vegetable, cultivators are probably not worth effort. Hoeing, walk behind tiller.

Next thought. Contact a neighbor who truck farms.
I have an excuse. CRS.

welderrx
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby welderrx » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:22 am

Take a look at some videos on U Tube about cultivating with Cubs, If you have the room its the way to go. In tight quarters I use my David Bradley or My Bolens Power-Ho 2 wheeler's, at my old house it was a tight small garden and I used my David Bradley Roto Spader front tine tiller narrowed down to one set of tines, for the big areas I use My Allis C , I never had a set for my Cub as I had plenty of other options, but I might get a set eventually, you can never have too many attachments. :) TJ
52 Cub with fast hitch, 68 Cub Lo-Boy with C-3 Deck, 66 Cub Cadet 125, various fh attachments, pto sprayer, snow-dozer blade and Wagner loader,100 Manure Spreader Circle of Safety

Mac AR
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 72561
Tractors Owned: 51 Farmall Cub "The little 'un"
55 Farmall 300 "The Big 'Un"
60 IH 340U "The middle 'un"

Postby Mac AR » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:41 am

Plant your rows anywhere from 36 to 40 inches apart. Use a string line to set them straight. Then, after your plants are up, mount your cultivators. I have a #144 cultivator with #1 equipment. The front 2 shanks have 6" sweeps, the middle have 8". The rear gang has 2 10" sweeps on it. After you've mounted them, drive down to the garden with the Cub, and take along a Crescent wrench and a hammer (for those d@mned wedge-bolts!). Set your front gangs so the shovels don't cover up the plants, but bury the weeds (I use half-sweeps next to the row); not too close to the row but close enough to throw a little dirt on the plants. The rear sweeps need to cut out the wheel tracks. There should be un-plowed strips between shovels, so adjust them so they just do overlap. This sounds much more complicated than it really is, so trust your eye and you'll be just fine.

It will be extremely helpful if you'll check out the manual section on this site. I went as far as printing a copy of the #144 cultivator manual and keep it in the shop (along with a lot of other manuals) so I can make adjustments as needed. But, the above set-up works pretty well for me, and might be a good place for you to start. Remember, keep it simple and follow the book. Good luck!

Mac
"Go get me a crescent wrench... git the biggest SOB you can find 'cause I'm gonna use it fer a hammer ennyway" - Words of Wisdom from Dad.

Circle of Safety