This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rear seal blow out-update

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Rear seal blow out-update

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:32 pm

Yesterday several of us were mowing about 10 acres of thick weeds At the farm museum where we have our show (cancelled). Nearing the end, my '76 would start bogging down and I'd turn a circle and the rpm's would go back up. After several of those, I looked down and half the C-2 deck was covered with oil. Disengaged the mower and drove back to the parking lot. Got the hood off this afternoon and will split it tomorrow. My first solo split. Hoping the reassembly isn't too frustrating. The dipstick showed oil at the low line and it started up and sounded okay when I drove it off the trailer into the shop, so I'm hoping no damage was done. I've talked with our local 90 yo tractor guru about the rear seals. He uses JB Weld around the outside and over the edge of the seal. Fortunately, I have several done by Tim, so I can forego that experiment.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

k hutchins
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48843
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter
Original manuals for all the above

Re: Rear seal blow out

Postby k hutchins » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:54 pm

Don't forget to wedge the front end. Having it dip/rotate just a little makes lining the pins back up a pain when you're ready to put it back together.
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?:

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:39 pm

You probably already have some, but if not, cut the heads off two bolts that would fit the two upper bolts holes in the clutch housing (don't remember the size) , then cut slots in the top (for screwdriver). Two of these were given to me at a Cubfest (heck, maybe by you!!). They help align the two tractor halves when reassembling. Good luck, and have fun! :D

P. S. You should have timed this better so you could have help at your own cubfest! :lol:
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:55 am

Sorry to hear about this, Bob. Be careful, as I know you will. I'll be splitting the AV to replace the expansion plugs behind the flywheel later this week.

Nice tip, Dale.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:22 am

Bob's been around and helped others enough with this stuff, I'm sure he'll have no problems, doing it on his own. Go for it, Bob, we're all on your side!

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:23 am

You got this, Bob !! :{_}: I've done several solos.
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale Finch » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:03 am

Winfield Dave wrote:You got this, Bob !! :{_}: I've done several solos.

Yep! Bob's been to more Cubfests, I think, than anyone else! He's certainly no newbie...it's just not as much fun, solo... :(

Hey Bob! As you know, this is a common problem with cubs, but after a quick check, I don't believe anyone has done a good post on the whole process, citing things to do/not do, and other tasks that should be checked "while you are there". You have done several other types of demo posts...make this a good "show n tell" project, and it won't be such a chore! Just a thought. :D
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:14 am

Go for it, Bob. Just finished a solo split and if a 75+ year old geezer can do it, a youngster like you should have no trouble.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:40 am

You make this sound like a sudden burst of leaked oil. Every main seal leak I have seen has gradually gotten worse. Maybe your problem is a blown out oil pump gasket.

Did your turning a circle involve any steep down hill? Maybe you are loosing oil through the front transmission seal.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:26 pm

Jim, I was mowing on flat ground. Engine oil dropped to the low line, so I'm sure it was engine oil. I just put on the fly wheel, but can look at the oil pump gasket after lunch. It looked like the rear seal had been replaced before without replacing the oil pan gasket. The sealant was a hard gray material, not sure what it was. The leak may be from there rather than the rear seal, but there was also an oil drip from the rear seal downward.
-Albert Einstein

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale Finch » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:13 pm

One of my cubs had a slight drip for quite a while, until one day it just let loose! Oil was running out, all over the mower deck. Luckily, it was in full view, so I limped into the shed. Bob, hope it's going smoothly! :D
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:03 pm

The front and back are about 3" apart. The pto turns easily (engaged), so I need to find what's binding. I did take off the steering wheel and that required a little time and effort. Done for the day, more tomorrow. First R2 seal retainer I've come across. I think I have about 5 or 6 seals that should all fit it, but I put in a machined one to save time. :D
-Albert Einstein

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub

Re: Rear seal blow out-update

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:11 pm

I got the Cub back together easily. Used a rachet strap to pull the two halves together and a scissors jack under the front to tip one side up higher so the holes aligned. I've been busy spraying weeds and mowing, so this afternoon decided to refill the TC. As soon as I started pouring Hytran in the fill hole, it was running out the bottom. Guessing that the split was unneeded. What I don't understand is why the Cub would be bogging down as the hydraulic fluid was leaking out. I'll pull the pump to check the gear, but wouldn't think that could cause the drag. Any thoughts?
-Albert Einstein

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:19 am

First R2 seal retainer I've come across. I think I have about 5 or 6 seals that should all fit it
My experience, doesn't matter if its R1 or R2, once they expand they need Tim.

As soon as I started pouring Hytran in the fill hole, it was running out the bottom.
We need more info. The bottom of what? Around the TC bottom plate? did you remove the bottom 1?8" pipe plug and forget to put it back in??

What I don't understand is why the Cub would be bogging down as the hydraulic fluid was leaking out. I'll pull the pump to check the gear, but wouldn't think that could cause the drag. Any thoughts?

try moving the TC lever, it may be trying to find its happy spot. I doubt the pump gear is your issue.

Things aren't making sense to me, but that's easily done now days.

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:31 pm

Rick, You nailed it. I had picked up a street elbow to put in the drain and forgot to install it. I guess that falls in the same category as forgetting to turn on the gas, or pull out the start/stop switch. All of which I have done....
-Albert Einstein

Return to “Farmall Cub”