This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Sickle mower pto pulley loose.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
FarmallAddict
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
1950 Farmall C

Sickle mower pto pulley loose.

Postby FarmallAddict » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:28 am

I have a new pulley for my Cub 22 sickle mower but it's loose on the pto shaft even after tightening down the pinch bolt. Since the pulley is new from TM Tractor the pto splines are likely worn even though on inspection they look in good condition. The pto bearings are in great shape and there is no slop in the pto itself.

I only use the sickle mower a few times a year for my personal enjoyment. Is there a temporary fix to try to take up the slack? I know the correct fix is to replace the pto shaft which doesn't look too bad to do. But I don't want to spend the money on a new shaft for something I only use a few times a year for 30 minutes at a time. The tractor gets used for other things but the only implement I run on the pto is the sickle mower.

The pto itself runs so smoothly and nothing leaks so I'd hate to have to take the back cover off.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Sickle mower pto pulley loose.

Postby Eugene » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:57 am

Specifications near the back of the Operator's Manual has the measurements for the tractor's PTO shaft.

Calipers, measure the PTO shaft and the ID of the pulley. Checking for PTO wear and difference between the PTO and pulley.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:22 am

You might be able to cut some "shims" out of sheet metal and drive them in spaced around the splines.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:32 am

Bob McCarty wrote:You might be able to cut some "shims" out of sheet metal and drive them in spaced around the splines.

I’ve done this before using aluminum can. I cut it out and preformed the shim around the pto shaft and then installed pulley. Not a permanent fix, mind you. But I did that with a sub par pulley. Don’t know that I would do that with a new pulley
Thomas

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:34 am

did you put the cotter pin in the new pulley? most times I find from pulleys that had bad splines the pins were left out so they move wearing out the shaft also

john2189
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44657

Postby john2189 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:51 pm

My all is b drive axles are splined and they do wear so I would take the nut off and drive a few nails in the spline and put the nut back on
'49 Cub (Vince)
'41 allis B with Woods L59 mower
656 Wheel Horse with 42” sickle mower
C-165 Wheel Horse
Simplicity 20 HP Sunstar
Honda 48” walk behind mower

FarmallAddict
Cub Star
Cub Star
1950 Farmall C

Postby FarmallAddict » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:13 pm

Eugene wrote:Specifications near the back of the Operator's Manual has the measurements for the tractor's PTO shaft.

Calipers, measure the PTO shaft and the ID of the pulley. Checking for PTO wear and difference between the PTO and pulley.

I have some calipers so when I get the chance I will measure things and see how far off they are.

FarmallAddict
Cub Star
Cub Star
1950 Farmall C

Postby FarmallAddict » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:18 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:You might be able to cut some "shims" out of sheet metal and drive them in spaced around the splines.

I'll give this a try. I believe I have some sheet metal lying around. It would be one thing if I used the pto all the time but I only use it a few times a year. If it doesn't work I'll probably eventually just break down and get a new shaft and bearing.

FarmallAddict
Cub Star
Cub Star
1950 Farmall C

Postby FarmallAddict » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:19 pm

tst wrote:did you put the cotter pin in the new pulley? most times I find from pulleys that had bad splines the pins were left out so they move wearing out the shaft also

Yes sir I did. I bet that's commonly missed.

FarmallAddict
Cub Star
Cub Star
1950 Farmall C

Postby FarmallAddict » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:20 pm

tmays wrote:

I’ve done this before using aluminum can. I cut it out and preformed the shim around the pto shaft and then installed pulley. Not a permanent fix, mind you. But I did that with a sub par pulley. Don’t know that I would do that with a new pulley

I figure it's worth a shot. The new pulley might make it harder to fit the shims in but a tighter pulley is what I'm going for anyway. Thanks for the tip.

lowgearfarm
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 03227
Tractors Owned: '49 Farmall Cub
'83 Kubota B7100

Postby lowgearfarm » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:35 am

FarmerCPA wrote:
tmays wrote:

I figure it's worth a shot. The new pulley might make it harder to fit the shims in but a tighter pulley is what I'm going for anyway. Thanks for the tip.

The previous owner (PO) of my '49 FCub used a bent-over nail to secure the pulley, then welded the pulley to the shaft to prevent any wobble. [Note to posting police: If you find this repair solution is too offensive, feel free to delete it. I'll understand.]
ptoweld.jpg
ptonail.jpg
]

welderrx
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 52 Cub Fast Hitch 68 Lo-Boy 66 Cub Cadet 125 100 Manure Spreader Wagner Loader

Postby welderrx » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:52 am

I'm a road mechanic for the track dept. on a railroad, a lot of times we can't shut a machine down to do a proper repair until the job is finished. I have had good luck cleaning both splines well with brake clean and smearing Rtv silicone thick on the splines so it oozes out, tighten it down wipe up the excess and let it cure, I have actually had it work for a long time when a key sheared on a pulley or drive coupling and it spun on the shaft and chewed it up. Sometimes you gotta make do to get the job done. TJ
Blue Mountain Antique Gas and Steam Engine Association

lowgearfarm
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 03227
Tractors Owned: '49 Farmall Cub
'83 Kubota B7100

Postby lowgearfarm » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:09 am

TJ, Re: the crude PTO pulley repair on my '49. You are correct in suggesting that there are [many?] times when a quick repair is more appropriate than an elegant repair - in order to get a larger job done. Indeed, the PO's welding of the pulley has served well for the 44 years that I've owned the Cub, powering a sickle bar off the PTO - well enough that there's little incentive to replace the shaft and pulley. ~Ned

ajhbike
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06405
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub
1951 Super C
1966 IH 504 Hi-Clear
1968 JD 3020
1949 JD B
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Ferguson TO-35

Postby ajhbike » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:45 am

The pinch part of the pulley was way too difficult to pinch down and I was always afraid it would break. I just used thin brass shims to jam it on and then used a bolt the size of the pin holes to take out the rest of the wobble.

Return to “Farmall Cub”