This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Why won't it fire?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Moray
Zip Code: 00000

Re: Why won't it fire?

Postby Moray » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:06 pm

Do you ever wish you said no to certain jobs?

With the new carb on, the tractor started but wouldn't run without the choke. Any reduction in the choke, resulted in it stopping within a couple of seconds.

Tonight, I found a bit clear hose, and bodged it into the drain plug.
Turning the fuel on, resulted in the fuel level initially stopping about 1/2" from the bottom of the carb, which would have explained it running extremely lean, but then after a couple seconds, it started rising again and didn't stop, even with the pipe an inch or so above the top of the carb.
Removed the hose, and pushing the float up resulted in the fuel stopping, so I split the carb to have a look.

Anybody want to play spot the difference?

carb.jpg

It looks like the vent hole simply hasn't been drilled, which will be causing the fuel level in the float chamber to not rise to close the valve, and tank gravity pressure is simply forcing fuel out the drain plug.
I'll drill the hole out over the weekend, and see if I can get this :censored: tractor to actually run for more than a few seconds without manual interference.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby indy61 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:18 pm

I'm not fully understanding but the drain plug has nothing to with the float. It will drain the tank when removed.

Nelson 634
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 22958
Tractors Owned: 5 Cubs
1952 100
1960 460 Utility

Postby Nelson 634 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:35 pm

Thanks for the information. This is helpful to everyone. I have used these "Chinese carburetors" several times with no problems. But this verifies what others have said you have to check them over thoroughly. Quality control seems to be a problem.
Walter

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:17 pm

Moray wrote:It looks like the vent hole simply hasn't been drilled, which will be causing the fuel level in the float chamber to not rise to close the valve, and tank gravity pressure is simply forcing fuel out the drain plug.
Not quite. Any air trapped in the carburetor, with needle valve open, would return to the gas tank via the fuel line.

Needle valve not closing for some reason, but not from weight of fuel in fuel line.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:40 am

Eugene wrote:Not quite. Any air trapped in the carburetor, with needle valve open, would return to the gas tank via the fuel line.

Probably not as long as gas is flowing down through the needle valve.

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:47 am

Suggestions. Drill the hole out, that should be open. Then check CAREFULLY that the float doesn't rub any surface of the bowl, and that the float height and drop are correct. With the carb assembled and dry, prior to putting it back on the tractor, you can turn the carb upside down, to and fro, and hear the float dropping and raising. Lastly check that the float stops off the flow when shut, by blowing air through (low pressure, I sometimes blow through them by mouth if the gas is wiped off). As mentioned. sometimes the viton tips don't work as well in these carbs, even though virtually every other float on a smaller engine uses them.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

Moray

Postby Moray » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:00 pm

Drilled the hole out this evening, fitted everything back together, checked the fuel level/float was good, and the tractor now runs :{_}:

Just waiting for some UNC bolts/nuts to be delivered to make some studs to fit the carb on properly, as the old carb had been drilled out and fitted on with M6 bolts/nuts, so I used a couple M5 bolts to avoid drilling out the new carb to test things.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:25 pm

The original studs were 1/4-20 into the carb, and 1/4-28 thru the manifold with a nut. Probably unavailable to you.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:40 pm

Hi,
Good news that the engine runs. :)

Below is a listing from TM Tractor, showing the studs Bob was talking about above.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/fl/405fp.htm

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:18 pm

Checked a repro carb that I recently purchased on eBay. It, too, was not drilled. The hole on an original carb appears to be 11/64. What size bit did you use?

Undrilled Chinese Carb Bottom.jpeg
Last edited by Don McCombs on Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Moray

Postby Moray » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:02 pm

I never thought about the original studs being different threads, but you're correct in that that kind of part won't be easily found on this side of the pond.
I could have machined a couple up, but some 1/4-20 bolts cut to length with a couple nuts have done the job.

And proof it runs-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6l4Vnks48s

Don McCombs wrote:Checked a repro carb that I recently purchased on eBay. It, too, was not drilled. The hole on an original carb appears to be 11/64. What size bit did you use?

I just picked whatever drill bit went through the old carb with a bit clearance to allow for it drilling slightly oversize.
It's just a vent hole, so size won't be too critical.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:08 pm

Moray wrote:...size won't be too critical.

Agreed.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

k hutchins
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48843
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter
Original manuals for all the above

Postby k hutchins » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:33 pm

Congratulations on a long tedious and frustrating journey.

Well done sir
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?:

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:25 am

Don McCombs wrote:Checked a repro carb that I recently purchased on eBay. It, too, was not drilled. The hole on an original carb appears to be 11/64. What size bit did you use?

Undrilled Chinese Carb Bottom.jpeg

There has recently been a little confusion about which hole needs drilled. It is the dimple in the top of the channel over the choke shaft. Be careful when drilling, so that you don’t damage any of the choke parts.

Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

A. K. Trenfor

Return to “Farmall Cub”