This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Left Wheel Does Not Move

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
bookman51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Left Wheel Does Not Move

Postby bookman51 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:43 pm

I replaced the brake bands, seals and gaskets on the rear axle of my 1955 cub. I thought I was finished tonight when I got the left wheel on. I did the right on first. However the wheel will not move. The right one does. It does not seem to budge a bit. I thought I watched the parts. The brake band is tight but I wonder if too tight....don't know the solution. Or else one of the spacers or shims somehow got picked up the bull gear. I thought I watched everything. Tomorrow I start over in taking off the wheel, housing, and axle off again. #$%$ any suggestions? :help:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Left Wheel Does Not Move

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:52 pm

A new band can be awfully tight. You could jack that wheel off the ground and see if it will turn, or start the Cub and see if you can drive it. Did you adjust the linkage after installation?
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:34 pm

Hi,
The brakes should be adjusted so the pedals have 7/8" of free play at the top of their travel, the Cub service manual says.
That's almost as much as the clutch pedal, 1" for it.

The 3 pedals should have return springs under the platform, to hold them up against the platform.
Maybe you knew already. :)

bookman51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby bookman51 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:19 am

Yep it is jacked up and brake rod completely removed. Still cannot budge the left rear wheel. Others have said brake band too tight and just go ahead and drive it. Can I damage something?

Barn1018
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 73801
Tractors Owned: 1949 F Cub,1958 F cub, 1955 Farmall 100, 1968 Int Cub, 1968 Cub Loboy converted to LowRider Parade Tractor

Postby Barn1018 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:25 am

A new band can be tight but I don't think it would be so tight that you can't turn the wheel. Got to be something else. Did the bull gear turn before you mounted the final to the tractor? If not i would suspect something amiss with the spacers.

bookman51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby bookman51 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:06 pm

I took the housing and wheel off. I put the piece that the brake rod connects to on wrong. I took out the brake lining and reversed it. It went in muhc easier. I put the housing and wheel back on and the wheel turns now. Just a binding of the brake lining. Easier fix than I thought, but it still took probably more than hour to do what I said I did. Thanks much to everyone.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:45 pm

Hi,
Below is a pic from TM Tractor showing the brake linkage in place for the 2nd style of brake.
This is the right side in the pic. :)
Attachments
Cub brake.jpg

Return to “Farmall Cub”