wiring diagram for generator to alternator conversion for a 68 cub with pushbutton starter cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Arkie
Zip Code: 71913
Tractors Owned: 1969 International Cub and 1950 Farmall Cub. I've had a dozen or more.

wiring diagram for generator to alternator conversion for a 68 cub with pushbutton starter cub

Postby Arkie » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:36 pm

Greetings from a new member. Haven't learned how to move around this site ( not being tech savy don't help lol) I love cubs but the electrical part is my weakness. I have converted from generator to alternator and need a wiring diagram on how to hook it all up. This cub has a push button starter and had a key switch. Key switch went bad so I put a push/pull switch on it. If anyone can help I would appreciate it. I'd like to put an idiot light on to let me know when it isn't charging and would need to know what size ballast resistor to get etc...Love cubs

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: wiring diagram for generator to alternator conversion for a 68 cub with pushbutton starter cub

Postby Glen » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:30 pm

Hi,
If you bought a 1 wire alternator, they are easy to wire. Connect the wire from the alternator post, to the post on the ammeter.
Below is a wiring diagram for a Delco alternator.
This is for the 3 wire alternator, like Cubs came with from IH, beginning during 1975.
If you have a 1 wire alternator, ignore the wires numbers 1 and 2 in the alternator pic, they are not there.
It says use number 10 gauge wire in the diagram.

You don't need a warning light with the 1 wire alternator, the ammeter shows when the alternator is charging, or not charging. :)
Attachments
Cub wiring Delco Alternator.gif
Last edited by Glen on Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: wiring diagram for generator to alternator conversion for a 68 cub with pushbutton starter cub

Postby Eugene » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:10 pm

Glen wrote:You don't need a warning light, the ammeter shows when the alternator is charging, or not charging.
True you don't need the warning light. The purpose of the warning light is to provide enough resistance in the circuit so that the alternator doesn't back feed the ignition system. A diode in place of the warning light does the same thing.

If you use a 3 wire alternator you can use the warning light, diode, or a toggle switch to disconnect the alternator from the igntion system.

Ballast resistor. Use the Chrysler resistor. I think there are several sizes available. Choose one that is around 1.5 Ohms. A bit larger, few more Ohms won't make any difference, it's not critical.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Arkie
Tractors Owned: 1969 International Cub and 1950 Farmall Cub. I've had a dozen or more.

Postby Arkie » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:59 pm

Many thanks for the response. I am assuming the wire from alt can go to either post on amp meter? It's a new amp gauge but has no markings like + or -

Arkie

Postby Arkie » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:11 pm

The alternator i used is a 3-wire alt. Can I just ignore those?

Arkie

Postby Arkie » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:18 pm

I mean ignore the 1 and 2 terminals

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:50 pm

Arkie wrote:I mean ignore the 1 and 2 terminals
No.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:25 pm

Hi,
If it's a 3 wire alternator, all 3 wires need to be connected like in the diagram above.

The wires have to be connected to the correct posts on the ammeter, or it will read reversed, and show discharge when it is charging. :)