This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Missing detent ball

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Arkansawyer cub
Zip Code: 72744
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
59 Massey65
19 Mahindra 1635

Missing detent ball

Postby Arkansawyer cub » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:34 pm

Awhile back I bought my grandpa’s Cub at the estate auction. It is mainly used for gardening in the spring but this year when I got on it it would not go into first or reverse gear. Garden needed planting so it got put on back burner but recently I got quarantined so I had time to tinker with it. After lots of online research I determined that the detent ball was probably the culprit so I took off the shifter and darn it, I was right. So I drained the trans hoping that it would come out with the fluid. It did not. So I have tried fishing around with a magnet with no luck. I took off the pto cover hoping to find something but nothing. So I guess my question is will it hurt anything to leave it in there or does anyone have any ideas on how to find the little devil? Sorry for the long post just trying to give as much info as possible.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Missing detent ball

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:41 pm

Flush the transmission well with kerosene. It probably needs it anyway. Then use a flashlight and your magnet to try to find it. If not, don’t worry about it. It may have gone out with a previous lube change. New ones are available from TM Tractor Parts, a forum sponsor.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:17 am

There's a good chance it's not in there, at all. The only way that ball can come out is if someone (grandpa) had it apart, in the past. As often, as not, when the shaft is slid to the rear, the spring launches the ball into orbit. It's probably in the vicinity of the International Space Station.

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:08 am

Just for grins??? I've had it happen to me before. You'll need a pencil sized magnet and slide it into the shifter hole horizontally. That ball can move inside the hole towards the front and seem as though it's not even in there.

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:17 am

Good point, Rick, it sure can.

Arkansawyer cub
Zip Code: 72744
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
59 Massey65
19 Mahindra 1635

Postby Arkansawyer cub » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:02 pm

Thanks a lot guys. Finally got a chance to run a magnet inside the shifter hole and found where the little guy was hiding. I really appreciate the help!!!

halftonstude
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06482

Postby halftonstude » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:34 am

When I tore the transmission apart on my ‘52 I found a detent ball and an ear from one of the shift forks. Both forks were good and all the balls were in place so it looked like the PO did some work and left those parts in there...
C

Return to “Farmall Cub”