Getting ready to start

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jose Wales
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 59 Cub
Ford 8n
Kobota

Getting ready to start

Postby Jose Wales » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:54 am

Put MMO in the crankcase and fuel tank and got ol Maud started and ready to follow Clem's advice on what to do. I let it run 15-20 minutes to check for leaks etc. The radiator overflow was dripping anti-freeze, there is a 16 PSI radiator cap installed, the steering box has a leak and all else seems pretty good. The fuel tank is rusted above the gas level pretty bad , must have set a while and there is a pressure inline fuel filter installed.
Would it be good to install an in-tank screen and then just go with the original sediment bowl and forget the in-line filter? Also, to put a non-pressurized radiator cap on?
What do you think, just fix these things, clean her up and see what happens.
I named her Maus because Maud was a great old farm lady, born in the 1870s i knew when young. That is a good idea for a thread, What did you name your Cub, we know you all named you cub......

k hutchins
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48843
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter
Original manuals for all the above
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Getting ready to start

Postby k hutchins » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:25 am

It would be easier to change out the inline filter to a gravity type than install an in tank. To install an in tank type you have to pull the sediment bowl/shut off then reinstall it.
I would swap the 16 psi radiator cap out. If you can't find a zero (l don't recommend the after markets) the see if you can find a lower psi. I have a 4 lb on my '48.

Good luck
By the way my tractors are Workhorse and Workhorse ll. Not neccesarily pretty, but more than pull their weight.
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?:

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:47 am

k hutchins wrote:I would swap the 16 psi radiator cap out. If you can't find a zero (l don't recommend the after markets) the see if you can find a lower psi. I have a 4 lb on my '48.
That's what I was going to say. 16 psi will probably burst the radiator.

I use a 4 or 5 psi cap, lowest they had at the auto parts store. I set the cap in the first notch. I don't tighten the cap all the way down.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:34 pm

Hi,
A 1959 Cub came with a non pressure radiator cap.
You can use a pressure cap if you want, IH offered it extra, the Cub parts manual says.

A Cub doesn't use a 16 lb cap.

Below are listings for 3 caps at TM Tractor, they are the in the 1st line on the page.
The pressure caps are 7 lbs. There are 2 different pressure caps. The filler necks are 2 different heights, it says. Measure your filler neck before buying one.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/co/co_001newparts.htm

The non pressure cap is easier on the radiator, my opinion.

The 4 lb or 5 lb cap Eugene said above would work too.

People on here have said that if you use an inline gas filter, a Cub should have a gravity flow gas filter, a filter for a fuel pump system can slow the gas flow too much.

The Cub operator's manual I posted before has info to help do maintenance on the Cub. :)