This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Dumb questions about ignition systems

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Shadow_storm56
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: B4V6X7

Dumb questions about ignition systems

Postby Shadow_storm56 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:33 pm

I am learning more about how points, coils and all that works together. What I don't get is that the points cut power to the coil just as the distributor makes contact and apparently that generates the HV spike? I would assume a coil would have high voltage when powered not right after being shut off. Maybe the info I read was really bad at explaining it but it doesn't make good sense to me...

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Dumb questions about ignition systems

Postby Bill V in Md » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:00 pm

When the points are touching each other, electricity runs from the battery, through the coil, or from the magneto to the engine Block, which is grounded. The current running through the windings in the ignition coil or magneto builds up a powerful electrical field that is unleashed when the points separate.
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:07 pm

The distributor, rotor and distributor cap, only directs the spark to the appropriate spark plug.

The coil, electromagnet, has two coils, windings, inside. Primary winding connected to the points, battery voltage. Secondary winding is connected to a ground and the coil terminal with the wire directed to the distributor.

Points closed, primary coil builds up magnetism. Points open, magnetic field collapes, inducing the high voltage in the secondary winding.

High voltage in the secondary winding is fed to the center terminal of the distrbutor cap. Rotor transfers the voltage to the correct spark plug. Spark we are looking for occurs when the high voltage jumps the spark plug gap.

Capacitor/condenser. Stores voltage doing two things. Helps the primary winding collapse faster and help prevent a spark from jumping the points.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:11 pm

You need to read the PDF manual GSS-1310 Electrical Fundamentals. It is under Service Manuals/Blue Ribbon Service Manuals. Particularly look at pages 6 to 15.

Shadow_storm56
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Shadow_storm56 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:57 pm

Eugene wrote:The distributor, rotor and distributor cap, only directs the spark to the appropriate spark plug.

The coil, electromagnet, has two coils, windings, inside. Primary winding connected to the points, battery voltage. Secondary winding is connected to a ground and the coil terminal with the wire directed to the distributor.

Points closed, primary coil builds up magnetism. Points open, magnetic field collapes, inducing the high voltage in the secondary winding.

High voltage in the secondary winding is fed to the center terminal of the distrbutor cap. Rotor transfers the voltage to the correct spark plug. Spark we are looking for occurs when the high voltage jumps the spark plug gap.

Capacitor/condenser. Stores voltage doing two things. Helps the primary winding collapse faster and help prevent a spark from jumping the points.

I understand alot about electrical in general I just have never heard of cutting power to a coil and a collaping magnetic field causing more power. It's a cool little complex but simple system. Thanks!

Shadow_storm56
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Shadow_storm56 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:57 pm

Jim Becker wrote:You need to read the PDF manual GSS-1310 Electrical Fundamentals. It is under Service Manuals/Blue Ribbon Service Manuals. Particularly look at pages 6 to 15.

I will thanks :)

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:21 pm

I have an excuse. CRS.

Shadow_storm56
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Shadow_storm56 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:19 pm

very interesting, Also see another purpose of the condenser now. It's just a very different way of making high voltage than I am used to. I was trying to understand it like a standard transformer. So when points are closed you would have no voltage on the secondary or very little until the field collapses when they open. Changing magnetic fields generate voltage and I guess collapsing field counts as this. OMG I have been thinking of this as if it was an ac circuit.... of course dc wouldn't make power on the secondary until the field collapses. It's kinda interesting and amazing that the points and rotor contacts don't just burn up really fast. We don't think about these things much but these are actually pretty thought out and well designed circuits.

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:26 am

Shadow_storm56 wrote:...........We don't think about these things much but these are actually pretty thought out and well designed circuits.

The magneto principle for generating electricity has been around a long time, just in a different form. (Think the beginning of the internal combustion engine.)
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)