This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Clutch rod

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Qtr Milr
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 46723
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1935 JD "B"
Kubota BX2380

Clutch rod

Postby Qtr Milr » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:00 pm

How in the name of all that’s holy do you get to the back fork on the clutch linkage rod?? I need to pull the pedals off of the floor pan so I can remove it. I haven’t started on the pedals I’ve seen the diagrams but where is the access to it??
Scott

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Clutch rod

Postby Glen » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:10 pm

Hi,
I'm not quite sure what you are asking, but the clutch pedal doesn't need to come off to remove the platform, it stays on the clutch housing.
The left brake pedal shaft has to come out of the brackets under the platform.
Remove the left brake pedal set screw, and then the long shaft slides to the left.

There is a small cotter key in the brake shaft that has to be removed, under the left brake pedal area.
Where the setscrew is that holds the left brake pedal on the shaft, the shaft can get swelled from the setscrew expanding the metal.
You might need to file the shaft down to the size the shaft originally was, so it will slide out to the left. :)

Qtr Milr
5+ Years
5+ Years
1935 JD "B"
Kubota BX2380

Postby Qtr Milr » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:26 pm

I guess I should of included that the adjustment on the pedal is froze and I would like to take the pedal off so I can separate them and repair them. The adjustment tab has been hammered on and is mushroomed so I’d like to pull the whole mess to make it right.
Scott

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:12 pm

I guess you have the clutch free play adjustment on the pedal base. That is the 2nd style adjustment.
The 1st style adjustment is inside the clutch housing.
IH changed the styles at Cub serial number 32229, the Cub parts manual says.

You can't remove the clutch pedal base from the clutch housing with the tractor assembled.
The clutch pedal base is held in by a clamp that the clutch rod inside the housing goes on.
The clamp has 1 bolt holding it on the clutch pedal base, the bolt head is accessed, as I remember, inside the rear of the clutch housing, with a long extension on a ratchet.

You have to split the Cub, at the front of the transmission, and move the clutch housing off of the clutch shaft, to get to the bolt.
Below are pics from TM Tractor.
The 1st pic is the clutch pedal base, there is that much of it inside the housing that can't be seen with the Cub assembled.
The 2nd pic is the lever that clamps on the left end of the base.
The 3rd pic is looking inside the housing from the rear. You can see where the clutch pedal goes, on the upper right in the pic. The housing is turned on it's side in the pic.

Below is a page from the Cub parts manual, showing the clutch housing and pedal.
The lever is number 4 in the pic.

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 007-04.jpg

I would try to soak the parts loose with penetrating oil.
The base can get tight in the housing from no oil.
The base usually will pull out of the housing 1/4" or so, apply oil to that area, and work oil into the housing there. Push the base in again when done.
Attachments
Cub clutch pedal.jpg
Cub clutch pedal lever .jpg
Cub clutch housing 7.jpg
Last edited by Glen on Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:36 pm

There are two different clutch rods. clutch pedal assemblies on the 48s. below sn 32229 the clutch adjustment was in the tube. Above sn 32229 the clutch adjustment was on the clutch pedal. You can leave the breaks on the platform but you have to disconnect the break rods.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Qtr Milr
5+ Years
5+ Years
1935 JD "B"
Kubota BX2380

Postby Qtr Milr » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:51 am

Thanks for the replies. Thats more than I was hoping to get into right now!! I'll pull the brake rod and get the platform off and out of the way. Maybe when I get better access I can get the adjustment flange cleaned up enough to get some penetrating oil in there and loosened up.
Thanks again!!
Scott

Return to “Farmall Cub”