Remove air cleaner assembly

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jose Wales
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 59 Cub
Ford 8n
Kobota

Remove air cleaner assembly

Postby Jose Wales » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:34 pm

MY oil cup was full of gunk and the manual on page 36 says to remove complete assembly and clean in kerosene but it does not tell how to remove it. Would someone give me a short how to? It seems every thing is stuck, greasy and painted over so I don't want to ruin something. Thanks to you guys this project is coming along really well,.

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Remove air cleaner assembly

Postby Peter Person » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:28 pm

The first and seemingly hardest step is to remove the domed cover above the hood. It’s a press fit and can be a bear. Gently twist it back and forth while pulling up.
You’ll need to disconnect the small line from the front of the engine. This is the crankcase vent line. It is also connected to the top of the air cleaner. This should be flushed clean as well.
Disconnect the bent metal tube at the carburetor and at the hood line. Short rubber hoses on each end. I seem to recall a couple of short bolts holding the air cleaner body to the block.
45D7D675-5945-4138-AA30-AD954F82148A.jpeg

AF6439A4-2CFA-4A49-B0C8-074F1A7A1A4A.png
AF6439A4-2CFA-4A49-B0C8-074F1A7A1A4A.png (143.78 KiB) Viewed 183 times
Last edited by Peter Person on Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Glen » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:30 pm

Hi,
The air cleaner cap, above the hood, just pushes down into the air cleaner pipe.
If the cap, above the hood is stuck, and if the paint on the hood is not new, you can use a large screwdriver under the cap, from the left side, and pry it gently up, put a folded rag under the end of the screwdriver that is against the hood to keep from damaging the paint.

The air cleaner is held on the front of the engine with 2 bolts, they are a little hard to get at if you have the hood on.
Below is a pic from TM Tractor showing the mounting on the left in the pic.

To clean it, when it is removed from the tractor, I put some kerosene in it, and put the oil cup on it, with no oil in it, and shake the air cleaner. Then dump out the kerosene.
Cover the opening for the pipe to the carburetor, kerosene can run out there when shaking it.
Dump out the kerosene in a clean oil drain pan and you can see what was in the air cleaner.

Repeat the above until the air cleaner is clean inside.
The pipe through the center of the air cleaner needs to be clean too.

The oil cup uses light motor oil.

To put the cap on the top again, they are usually made so they will tighten in the pipe, if you hit the cap with one light hit, using a rubber hammer.
You can put a folded rag on top of the cap to protect the paint.
The cap would be sitting there loose, and can fall off, without tightening it in the pipe. :)
Attachments
Cub air cleaner 3.jpg

Jose Wales
Tractors Owned: 59 Cub
Ford 8n
Kobota

Postby Jose Wales » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:45 pm

Thanks for the fast answers, just what I needed to know. I have the hood off to clean the gas tank, Tomorrow I am going to dump the vinegar etc and seal the tank. Was full of rust, Put on a temp gas tank to be able to run and tune up when that time comes. One thing at a time. Working down the list of what to do when you bring home a new cub. This is a really fun project especially with all the great help on this forum.