This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hydraulic fluid

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
nescoman
Zip Code: 08758

Hydraulic fluid

Postby nescoman » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:58 am

Hello fellow cub owners,
I recently bought a 1952 cub with touch control hydraulics. I wondering where to pour additional hydraulic fluid in the reservoir and what type of fluid does it require? The tractor care with a plow on the front. thank you. Kermit

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

MiCarl
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48154
Tractors Owned: 2021 RK25 "Barbie"
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub (SOLD)
1994 Speedex 1631
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Hydraulic fluid

Postby MiCarl » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:29 am

The fill plug is at the top of the block, left side. Just below the edge of the gas tank. I believe it's a 3/4" pipe plug. You need to check the level with the hydraulics completely lowered (you might need to detach the plow linkage to completely lower them). It should be right to the bottom of the hole but there is a shelf there that can make it look full when it isn't. I like to stick my pinky in and feel for oil at the inside edge of that shelf.

I use a generic hydraulic fluid. Someone will be along shortly to tell you I'm wrong and you'll ruin your tractor using anything other than Hy-Tran fluid.
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub
1994 Speedex 1631

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:45 pm

Hi,
The Cub operator's manual can help you learn about maintenance that the Cub needs.

Below is the 1955 Cub operator's manual. The experts on here recommend people read it. It has lots of info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication. There is a table of contents on page 1.
The index begins on page 70.
It shows how Cubs originally looked in it. The lube section begins on page 14.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

It shows the electrical system that a 1952 Cub originally had.
Cubs made before mid 1964 originally had 6 volt, positive ground electrical systems.

The Touch Control fluid mentioned in the manual is Case IH Hy-Tran fluid nowadays. It is sold at Case IH dealers.

I would check or change all the oils before using the Cub. Using it with low oil in a gear housing can damage the parts in the housing.
There are 3 separate gear housings, with 3 separate oil levels to check, in the rear area of a Cub, the transmission, and 2 final drives.

The transmissions in Cubs commonly get water in them, from rain, or condensation inside the housing over time.

There is a 1952 Cub operator's manual at Quick links, at the top left of the page, if you would rather have that. After clicking on Quick links, go to PDF files. I can't post it here.

Below is a post I made about checking and changing the Touch Control fluid.
Some Touch Controls have a square headed filler plug, and later IH changed to a hex head filler plug. :)

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=106664

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:17 pm

MiCarl wrote:The fill plug is at the top of the block, left side. Just below the edge of the gas tank. I believe it's a 3/4" pipe plug. You need to check the level with the hydraulics completely lowered (you might need to detach the plow linkage to completely lower them). It should be right to the bottom of the hole but there is a shelf there that can make it look full when it isn't. I like to stick my pinky in and feel for oil at the inside edge of that shelf.

I use a generic hydraulic fluid. Someone will be along shortly to tell you I'm wrong and you'll ruin your tractor using anything other than Hy-Tran fluid.

I would say about anything bis better than what they had in late 40s early 50s. I don't think hi team as out till after 52 if I remember what I ha e read. I would at least use a tractor transmission hydro fluid that says meets IH hi tran specs. But yes just use that

NJ Farmer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08876
Tractors Owned: 1953 F-Cub
1957 F-Cub
1956 Lo-Boy
1971 Cub Cadet 149
1976 Cub Cadet 1200

Postby NJ Farmer » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:42 am

You can pickup HyTran at any NAPA store. It is sold in one gallon jugs. The price is more reasonable than Case dealers. (Not to knock the Case dealers but I don’t go to the GM dealers to buy oil for my Chevy Truck)

NJ Farmer

md20201
Zip Code: 27009

Postby md20201 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:03 am

thanks for the info just got a 1951 Cub changing fluids.

Return to “Farmall Cub”