This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

convert to 12 volt and loosing power

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
pett3227b
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 28327

convert to 12 volt and loosing power

Postby pett3227b » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:33 am

Hello, I have some questions for the forum. I am a happy owner of a 47 or 48 farmall cub. I want to convert and upgrade to a 12 volt system. I understand that I have a magneto instead of a coil. As a side note I also have a problem of loosing power after running for 45 minutes or so. It starts just fine again after it cools off. I was told that to fix it I should check the coil and valve clearances. I am wondering is there something like a coil in the magneto that could present the same problem? I have been using a 12 volt battery for 2 decades to run my cub. I definitely have the original starter generator. Is there any way that maybe my cub was converted to 12 volt before I got it and still have the starter generator and not a modern alternator? I need to know the steps necessary to convert to 12 volt and material list of parts. Thank-you and I don't know how the farmers got by long before the internet and forums to get information about a specific problem.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: convert to 12 volt and loosing power

Postby Eugene » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:05 am

Your loss of power around 45 minutes of engine operation is a typical coil fault. There is a coil inside the magneto. Search function, top right of this page for articles on replacing the magneto coil.

Alternator conversion. Use the search function. There are numerous articles on the task and materials required.

Your tractor's electrical system could have been converted to a 12 volt generator.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:45 pm

Hi,
There is originally a coil in the magneto, it is under the cover on top of the magneto.
The ignition wire coming out of the cover on top of the magneto gets power from the coil.

Below is a listing from TM Tractor for a new magneto coil. You can look at the pics.
There is a rectangular bar that goes through the center of the coil, keep it and put it in the new coil.
It can fit tight.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/el/713fp.htm

The cover over the ignition points and condenser has to be removed to disconnect the small wire made on the coil. That is a good time to replace the points and condenser.
The points have to be good for the engine to run good. They get old and burned from use.

TM Tractor has those. They have the magneto cap, rotor, and other magneto parts also.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/el/367fp.htm

Below are pages from the 1949 Cub operator's manual, showing the points and condenser, and setting the point gap.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-30.jpg

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-31.jpg

It is a good idea to turn the engine to number 1 cylinder TDC before removing the plate over the points.
Note where the rotor is pointing before removing the plate over the points.
The manual says don't turn the engine when the plate over the points is removed, you can lose the timing. But sometimes it has to be turned a small amount, using the fan, so the right side point is on the high part of the cam. Keep track of which way you turn it.

The rotor is gear driven.
It might need the gear area cleaned and greased while you have the cover off.
Below is a pic of under the gear cover.
Check the timing marks on the gears, they should be aligned. :)
Attachments
Cub magneto 4.jpg
Cub magneto 4.jpg (25.13 KiB) Viewed 276 times

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:57 pm

Hi,
If the Cub works ok on 6 volts, it doesn't have to be 12 volts, it's your choice.
But if it has a 6 volt generator, it should have a 6 volt battery.

Below is a page from the 1947 Cub operator's manual showing the electrical system with the hood off.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-33.jpg

There is originally a plate on the gen with the model number, at the left of the plate.
The model number of the 6 volt Delco gen used with the Relay system was 1101355.
The electrical system was positive ground also.
You probably need to remove the hood to see the plate.

IH changed Cubs to 12 volts in mid 1964. They had gens about the same size as the 6 volt gens. They used gens until mid 1975, when they changed to a Delco alternator.
The 12 volt gens are different than the earlier 6 volt gens, the 12 volt gen is vented, or open, it has a fan at the front.
Last edited by Glen on Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:05 pm

Brillman also has the J4 magneto coil.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Mht
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27606
Tractors Owned: 1949 farmall cub(building from parts) 1950 farmall cub
1971 David Brown 880 selectamatic

Postby Mht » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:39 pm

I can highly recommend Brillman for all of your ignition and electrical needs. Especially parts to make great battery cables

pett3227b
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 28327

Postby pett3227b » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:56 am

I am now wondering how to check my generator to find out if it is generating power.IS there also a way to check at the battery to see if I am recharging cause wiring could also be a problem. I may not convert to 12 volts if all I need to replace is the coil in the magneto. Still not sure if my system is 12 or 6 volt I will take a look at the generator to see if its original or not. Is there a way to test it? I am told that some people have a original generator converted internally to 12 volt. Thank-you

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:09 am

Check out the troubleshooting charts about 1/3 of the way down the first page of this thread.

viewtopic.php?t=109148
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:30 am

pett3227b wrote:I am now wondering how to check my generator to find out if it is generating power.IS there also a way to check at the battery to see if I am recharging cause wiring could also be a problem. I may not convert to 12 volts if all I need to replace is the coil in the magneto. Still not sure if my system is 12 or 6 volt I will take a look at the generator to see if its original or not. Is there a way to test it? I am told that some people have a original generator converted internally to 12 volt. Thank-you
First thing you need to do is identify the generator. Black tag = 6 volts. Red tag = 12 volts.

The generator could have been converted to 12 volts, but probably not.

Are you charging up the 12 volt battery every so often? If so, the generator is probably 6 volts and not working.

You can motorize the generator to see if it will charge. How to do that - search function.

Thought to research - using an external coil on the magneto to operate the ignition system. Again search function.

Also research converting to a single wire 12 volt alternator. It's usually less expensive than repairing the 6/12 volt generator and replacing the voltage regulator.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Glen » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:45 pm

Hi,
The ammeter on the dash shows if the generator is charging. If it charges, or discharges, the ammeter should show, unless it doesn't work.

Hard to say if the charging system works, you said you have used it for 20 years with a 12 volt battery. It would have been good to remove the generator belt when you started using the 12 volt batteries, since it won't charge a 12 volt battery.
I don't know what happens when it is connected to 12 volts, I guess it didn't have overheating or fire.

If you are going to use a 6 volt battery, I don't know if your Cub still has the original 4 position charge and light switch. You have to choose the charge rate yourself, the Relay system was used before voltage regulators on Cubs.
Below are pages from the 1949 Cub operator's manual, telling how to use the 4 position charge and light switch, beginning at the lower left of the 1st page. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-34.jpg

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-35.jpg