This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

49 clutch setting

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
karlibob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03609
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub

49 clutch setting

Postby karlibob » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:22 pm

I just installed a new clutch in my 49 cub. I have read conflicting blogs on what the finger measurement should be. Is it 7/8 or 1-1/4 inch. The clutch fingers came preset at 7/8 of an I nch when fully tightened down.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 49 clutch setting

Postby Glen » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:07 am

Hi,
The experts on here have said that even new pressure plates need the finger height set, after putting them on the flywheel. They have said the plates don't come with the fingers set to the right height.
Lately they have said 1 1/8" is good.
Try to get the 3 fingers the same height, they should form a flat surface for the throwout bearing to push on.

Below is some clutch info, if you need it.

Turn the clutch shaft slowly, while the cub is split, and be sure it is straight, some people have said the shaft was bent, then the clutch doesn't work right.

If you replaced the pilot bushing, it may need reaming after installing it in the crankshaft hole.
Some of them have the hole too small, and so the clutch shaft won't stop turning after putting the Cub together.
Use a dial caliper and measure the ID of the bushing and the OD of the end of the clutch shaft.
The Cub service manual gives specs for the running clearance.
Below is the page, it is at Spline and clutch shaft.

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/gss- ... 005-02.jpg

Grease inside the bushing, and the end of the clutch shaft when you put the Cub together.

Check the throwout bearing holder for looseness, and wear at the holes. It should be stable in place, not loose so it can move side to side, or up and down.
The long pin at the top of it can wear where it holds the holder also.
TM Tractor has a new holder and pin, if yours are worn.

They have said on here to soak a new throwout bearing for a day in light motor oil before putting it in.
Also grease the grease fitting with cheap grease, so the oil in the grease absorbs into the graphite material.
If the new bearing has a small hole in the top of it, like the IH bearings had, it is for letting excess grease out. Grease it until grease comes out the small hole.

I guess you know where to measure the finger height, but below is a pic.
The pressure plate has to be assembled on the flywheel, not off, like the pic is. :)
Attachments
Cub clutch 3.jpg
Last edited by Glen on Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:21 am

Yes, they always seem to arrive set at 3/4", the Cub is not the only application for that clutch. That setting is probably correct from the design stand point but 3/4" puts the throw out bearing hanger dangerously close (and sometimes in contact with) the adjustment screws on the pressure plate. I'm not sure who came up with the 1 1/4" dimension, but that usually leaves very little thread for the lock nut. So, I throw out a third number! I set them at 1 1/8", that seems to work pretty well, avoiding both of those problems. So, take your pick! If you are installing a new throw out bearing, you'll probably get by with 3/4" (until you have to adjust the free play a year from now) but to play on the safe side, I would go with a bigger number.

karlibob
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby karlibob » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:58 am

Thanks guys, I did get a new bearing as well as the holder and pin, so everything to do with the clutch is new. I’ll be setting it to 1-1/8 and putting it back together today. Thanks

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:27 am

Be sure to soak that new bearing in oil, prior to installing.

karlibob
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby karlibob » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:59 pm

Thanks did that and everything’s back together. Tried starting, seems like I have a timing issue, pops but won’t start. I guess that’s why I have two days in the weekend. Thanks again for the help.

Return to “Farmall Cub”