This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Restoration opinions

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Re: Restoration opinions

Postby outdoors4evr » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:51 am

It sounds like you have a little time where you could investigate the touch control issues before restoring with grandbabies.
I like to fix mechanical issues and using it a while before sealing it all up with paint.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Glen » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:40 pm

Hi,
The Cub operator's manual can help you learn about maintenance that the Cub needs.

Below is the 1950 Cub operator's manual. The experts on here recommend people read it. It has lots of info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication. There is a table of contents on page 1.
It shows how Cubs originally looked in it. The lube section begins on page 14.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

It shows the electrical system that a 1950 Cub originally had, if your Cub is before serial number 115403.
IH changed the electrical system some during 1950. The Battery Ignition unit, and voltage regulator system came out then.
The newer systems are shown in newer Cub operator's manuals.
Only the magneto, and older charging system are in the manual above.

Cubs made before mid 1964 originally had 6 volt, positive ground electrical systems.
They have said on here that IH didn't make a new manual every year.

The Touch Control fluid mentioned in the manual for the Touch Control, was changed later to Case IH Hy-Tran fluid. It is sold at Case IH dealers.
There are other brands, be sure it works with IH hydraulic systems before buying one.

I would check or change all the oils before using the Cub. Using it with low oil in a gear housing can damage the parts in the housing.
There are 3 separate gear housings, with 3 separate oil levels to check, in the rear area of a Cub, the transmission, and 2 final drives.

The transmissions in Cubs commonly get water in them, from rain, or condensation inside the housing over time.

The air cleaner is an oil bath air cleaner. Dirt that is sucked in settles to the bottom of the oil cup. It should have clean, light motor oil in the oil cup to work right.

There is a search at the top of the page, to the right of the Farmall Cub, you can use it to look for info that has been posted before.

I posted more info at my post on the 1st page of this post.
Hi from another person in Wa. :)

Andylisa
Zip Code: 16415
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub

Postby Andylisa » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:35 pm

I too am new to the Cub Club, I also am completely restoring a 52 Cub from the ground up. I grew up with two on a 25 acre farm a 52 and a 48 so 40 years later i found a 52 in rough shape leaking from almost all the seals and the motor was froze, the guy just wanted to get rid of it and I picked it up for 200.00. I basically tore the tractor apart from the transmission forward anything that was worn, broke, or needed replaced I've done, I striped all paint and repainted all the parts. I'm now ready to start rebuilding the front half. My question is where can I get my hands on a service technician manual, I'm looking for an all inclusive manual.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:40 pm

Welcome to the Forum. After your second post, you can access the PDF manuals. Upper left of the page, click on quick links, then on PDF manuals. The one you are looking for is the Blue Ribbon GSS-1411, although there are others there that might be helpful.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:00 am

Hi,
Below is the Cub and LoBoy service manual, it has lots of info about rebuilding Cubs.
There is a table of contents beginning on page 1 in most sections. It makes it easier to use online. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

There is a 1952 Cub operator's manual in the place Bob said above, go to Quick links, then PDF Manuals, it shows the newer electrical system I wrote about above. I can't post the manual here. :)

dmpetersjr
Zip Code: 98390
Tractors Owned: 1950 Farmall Cub

Postby dmpetersjr » Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:45 pm

outdoors4evr, your absolutely right I do have time. I’m going to go through and fix the things that need fixing, which isn’t much. I actually have the touch control off the cub and have parts on the way. It looked to be leaking from the touch control lever so I’m going to start with replacing the seal. I’m actually not going to paint it at this time. I’m going to lightly sand and wire brush where needed and put a coat of car wax on it where it makes sense to do so. It’s a 1950 cub that has been on the same family farm since 1955. From what I was told and from what I see it is all original paint. I’m just not ready to cover up all that good history at this time. Maybe in the future.

Dusty B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61736
Tractors Owned: '45 SC Case

Postby Dusty B » Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:36 pm

don't use the hydraulics on my lobby - just removed the lines from pump opening to side of hydro unit , covered openings w/flat plates,(w/gasket material) tubes & pump are hanging on the shop wall!! Use it w/drawbar mounted 12 V sprayer tank!
Grandpa's '41 B
'56,,'57,'59, Cu'b
'45 C
'55 Case S
Dad's DB garden tractor
'48 DeSoto
'31 "A Coup
'79 Lincoln TC
God looks out for those of us who don't know how to look out for ourselves!