Permanent Connection of Noco Trickle Charger - Leaving the Battery Cover On

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
rjohnson
5+ Years
5+ Years
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:13 pm
Zip Code: 45346
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1964 Farmall 806D
1950 Farmall M
1941 International A Industrial
Circle of Safety: Y

Permanent Connection of Noco Trickle Charger - Leaving the Battery Cover On

Postby rjohnson » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:09 pm

I purchased a Noco Genius 2 trickle charger. This is a 2a smart charger, and can be left connected to any 6 or 12V battery continuously. I wanted to make sure my battery stays charged, as I am working with the original 6V system, which turns the engine over slowly, especially in cold winter temperatures.

In addition to the charger, I purchased their ring terminal lead kit in order to permanently attach to my battery.

I was able to feed the ring terminals through the grommet. I then attached the ring terminals, minor bending was necessary to achieve the proper orientation, and to allow the terminals to lay flat. Thus, the battery cover can be installed as well.

The other nice part about the Noco charger is that the leads on both the charger and tractor side both have dust covers for when not in use. Additionally, the leads are fused should a short occur.

I may make a bracket or something to hold the leads on the tractor side, but my install is mostly complete.

Image
Connection of leads

Image
Dust cover

Image
Connection of tractor and charger leads

User avatar
Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Posts: 15415
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2003 6:45 am
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: MD, Deep Creek Lake

Re: Permanent Connection of Noco Trickle Charger - Leaving the Battery Cover On

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:35 pm

My John Deere X485 mowing tractor requires the hood to be removed to gain access to the battery. Poor design on John Deere’s part. I did something very similar with a NOCO trickle charger for that tractor.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Image
Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39
Circle of Safety

rjohnson
5+ Years
5+ Years
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:13 pm
Zip Code: 45346
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1964 Farmall 806D
1950 Farmall M
1941 International A Industrial
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Permanent Connection of Noco Trickle Charger - Leaving the Battery Cover On

Postby rjohnson » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:06 pm

The nice part about the Noco is that you still have the original leads too, so it can be used to charge other equipment in the off season, too.

Also, I am hoping to get some longevity out of this 6V battery. Figured I would experiment, and see if the trickle charger helps. I haven't had the best luck with 6V in the past, seems like 12V batteries last longer on stuff that is infrequently used.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Posts: 15780
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2003 2:59 pm
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: MN

Re: Permanent Connection of Noco Trickle Charger - Leaving the Battery Cover On

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:37 pm

The Schumacher maintainers that I have posted about in the past come with a similar pigtail for permanent attachment. For the 6-volt Cubs, it didn't seem worthwhile as it is just as easy to use the spring clamps at the starter. The 12-volt Cubs aren't as convenient, so I have installed the pigtails. I didn't want to connect at the battery as it adds to the number of connections exposed to battery fumes and the eventual corrosion. So I attached the hot lead to one side of the ammeter and the ground to one of the fuel tank to panel screws. When not in use, the pigtail can be stuffed in on top of the Touch-Control block. If you have an under-mounted exhaust system, be sure your connecter can't fall onto the exhaust pipe.

User avatar
ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 5249
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:40 pm
Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Niles / Buchanan, Michigan

Re: Permanent Connection of Noco Trickle Charger - Leaving the Battery Cover On

Postby ricky racer » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:38 pm

rjohnson wrote:I purchased a Noco Genius 2 trickle charger. This is a 2a smart charger, and can be left connected to any 6 or 12V battery continuously. I wanted to make sure my battery stays charged, as I am working with the original 6V system, which turns the engine over slowly, especially in cold winter temperatures.

In addition to the charger, I purchased their ring terminal lead kit in order to permanently attach to my battery.

I was able to feed the ring terminals through the grommet. I then attached the ring terminals, minor bending was necessary to achieve the proper orientation, and to allow the terminals to lay flat. Thus, the battery cover can be installed as well.

The other nice part about the Noco charger is that the leads on both the charger and tractor side both have dust covers for when not in use. Additionally, the leads are fused should a short occur.

I may make a bracket or something to hold the leads on the tractor side, but my install is mostly complete.

Image
Connection of leads

Image
Dust cover

Image
Connection of tractor and charger leads

Nicely done! I've got battery maintainers on everything here in my barns. At last count I think I have 6 or 7 of them. They really help the battery to last much, much longer. :wink:
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

User avatar
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Posts: 23598
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2003 2:09 pm
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.
Location: Mo, Potosi

Re: Permanent Connection of Noco Trickle Charger - Leaving the Battery Cover On

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:32 pm

I have several rigs set up like that. My AC generator, my ZTR, My H, My loader tractor, anything that is only used occasionally. A word of warning, be sure to disconnect the maintainer before starting the engine. I forgot to do that a couple times over the years, and had to replace both maintainers. :censored:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Posts: 10693
Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 8:02 pm
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: CO, Longmont

Re: Permanent Connection of Noco Trickle Charger - Leaving the Battery Cover On

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:46 pm

Would this idea of George Willer's work with a maintainer, or only for a jump start?
viewtopic.php?f=140&t=16548
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Posts: 15780
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2003 2:59 pm
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: MN

Re: Permanent Connection of Noco Trickle Charger - Leaving the Battery Cover On

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:56 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:Would this idea of George Willer's work with a maintainer, or only for a jump start?
http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... 40&t=16548

It would work. But I have never been able to figure out what made that better than simply clipping to the nut on top of the stud. Maybe adds a little distance from the lever on the switch?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Posts: 19146
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:52 pm
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Mo. Linn

Re: Permanent Connection of Noco Trickle Charger - Leaving the Battery Cover On

Postby Eugene » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:35 pm

Moved from my other post in worng topic.

Similar on BobCat skid steer. Have to remove the seat to get to the battery.

Mounted a slip connecter, wired to battery, to the sheet metal on the side of the skid steer. Change the terminals on a trickle charger to the matching slip connecter.
I have an excuse. CRS.

JimCub48
5+ Years
5+ Years
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:57 pm
Zip Code: 56377

Re: Permanent Connection of Noco Trickle Charger - Leaving the Battery Cover On

Postby JimCub48 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:54 pm

I use die hard maintainers both 6 and 12 bolt they can be attached to the battery post ,the pig tail threaded through the ground hole on battery box .They also have a push pull connection. Used for several years no issues. I do believe the batteries last longer .

Dell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 179
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:35 am
Zip Code: 49057
Location: SW Michigan

Re: Permanent Connection of Noco Trickle Charger - Leaving the Battery Cover On

Postby Dell » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:21 pm

I learned back in the old days to disconnect a battery before attaching a charger and I can't seem to get past it. We were always told that it's not good on the generator or alternator to back charge through it, I have no idea if that's true. I think there is a lot of parasitic draw on the battery especially in my old tractors. Whether I leave a charger on an hour or a month I always disconnect the ground wire. And on a couple tractors I disconnect the ground when I'm finished for the day.

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Posts: 510
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:14 pm
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Greenwood County SC

Re: Permanent Connection of Noco Trickle Charger - Leaving the Battery Cover On

Postby Clemsonfor » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:43 pm

Dell wrote:I learned back in the old days to disconnect a battery before attaching a charger and I can't seem to get past it. We were always told that it's not good on the generator or alternator to back charge through it, I have no idea if that's true. I think there is a lot of parasitic draw on the battery especially in my old tractors. Whether I leave a charger on an hour or a month I always disconnect the ground wire. And on a couple tractors I disconnect the ground when I'm finished for the day.

The Cub has a switch. The generator is not connected to the battery when it's off right?

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Posts: 510
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:14 pm
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Greenwood County SC

Re: Permanent Connection of Noco Trickle Charger - Leaving the Battery Cover On

Postby Clemsonfor » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:46 pm

I keep a smart charger hooked to my big deep cycle battery on the toon. I will swap it to the start battery every so many weeks or month, it never takes a charge as it's always full. I just charged my battery on my old k10, it's a cheap 1 year walmart battery. I keep a smart charger on the cubs 6v and I keep a solar maintainer on the 12v Yanmar tractor. Those things are worth the $18 or whatever they cost. The solar maintainer keeps it topped up when not in use.

JimCub48
5+ Years
5+ Years
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:57 pm
Zip Code: 56377

Re: Permanent Connection of Noco Trickle Charger - Leaving the Battery Cover On

Postby JimCub48 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:30 pm

Also when have the maintainers on I keep to switch on low charge, if I remember correctly I believe I read some place to do this.??

User avatar
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Posts: 23598
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2003 2:09 pm
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.
Location: Mo, Potosi

Re: Permanent Connection of Noco Trickle Charger - Leaving the Battery Cover On

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:45 pm

Clemsonfor wrote:
Dell wrote:I learned back in the old days to disconnect a battery before attaching a charger and I can't seem to get past it. We were always told that it's not good on the generator or alternator to back charge through it, I have no idea if that's true. I think there is a lot of parasitic draw on the battery especially in my old tractors. Whether I leave a charger on an hour or a month I always disconnect the ground wire. And on a couple tractors I disconnect the ground when I'm finished for the day.

The Cub has a switch. The generator is not connected to the battery when it's off right?
The generator does not connect through the switch, but the voltage regulator or cutout whichever it has includes a relay that opens and disconnects the generator from the battery. An alternator has diodes that prevent back feed unless one of them shorts, which does happen, but not often.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Farmall Cub”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests