This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

First time snow plowing

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: First time snow plowing

Postby Peter Person » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:20 am

1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

k hutchins
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48843
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter
Original manuals for all the above

Postby k hutchins » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:40 pm

Lt Mike

I have to admit, l'd be mega upset if l had just cleaned my driveway and they came through and left 2' windrows acrossed it. I wonder how the road guys feel about having to go back and clear them out of the intersections afterward?
Still kinda neat that they utilize "old" technology for the job. In my town they use JDs or Kubotas with enclosed cabs and blowers on the front. It takes them a lot longer than that video shows.
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?:

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:02 pm

I’ve never lived in a town where anyone but me cleared the sidewalk in front of my house. :shock:
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:10 pm

Don McCombs wrote:I’ve never lived in a town where anyone but me cleared the sidewalk in front of my house. :shock:

...and the town I grew up in required us to clear the sidewalks within a certain amount of time after the storm passed or face a fine. Same if there was a fire hydrant on your property, which we did at our 1st house in that town.
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Postby Lt.Mike » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:35 pm

k hutchins wrote:Lt Mike

I have to admit, l'd be mega upset if l had just cleaned my driveway and they came through and left 2' windrows acrossed it. I wonder how the road guys feel about having to go back and clear them out of the intersections afterward?
Still kinda neat that they utilize "old" technology for the job. In my town they use JDs or Kubotas with enclosed cabs and blowers on the front. It takes them a lot longer than that video shows.

The speed he’s plowing in the video is hair raising. I’d never plow that fast. I guess with the dramatic sweep back from the front of the plow, that curved bar in front to hop stuff and it all hanging loosely from a chain there’s little chance of it slamming into an immovable object and stopping like it hit a wall like a flat blade will do. From the video it looks like they plow the sidewalks before the roads.
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:49 pm

Masmith wrote: I also installed a urethane cutting edge.

How is that holding up?

Are you clearing a concrete, blacktop, or some sort of stone driveway?

Are you using the plow shoes?

Greenthumbfarms
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 60450
Tractors Owned: 1974 Cub Cadet 1450
1977 Cub Cadet 1650

1950 Farmall Cub (Georgette)
1950 Allis Chalmers WD (Allis)
1956 Farmall 230 (Gladys)
1959 Farmall 240 Utility (Heather)
1962 John Deere 4010 Gas with No.45 Loader (Pearl)
1966 John Deere 4020 Deisel (Jack)
1975 International Cub (Ozzie)

Postby Greenthumbfarms » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:04 pm

There is a never ending battle between us (township plow drivers) and the landscapers clearing driveways and sidewalks. They push it into our "turf" and we push it back onto theirs.
We just got a foot of snow over the last 36 hours, so once I get a nap in from plowing streets all day I'll clear my own driveway
Secretary with Will County Threshermens Association (Will County, Illinois)
62nd Annual Will County Threshermens gas and steam tractor show July 18-21, 2024 featuring JI Case Steam and gas tractors. All makes welcome
https://www.steamshow.org/

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A

Postby Lt.Mike » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:35 pm

Greenthumbfarms wrote:

There is a never ending battle between us (township plow drivers) and the landscapers clearing driveways and sidewalks. They push it into our "turf" and we push it back onto theirs.
We just got a foot of snow over the last 36 hours, so once I get a nap in from plowing streets all day I'll clear my own driveway

When I plow my driveway I hang a left out of my driveway and push back the snow against the flow of traffic for about 150’ along the shoulder.
That way when the county plow comes back he has nothing to push back in front of my driveway. ;)

Magnum
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: Nope

Postby Magnum » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:27 am

Peter Person wrote:
Don McCombs wrote:I’ve never lived in a town where anyone but me cleared the sidewalk in front of my house. :shock:

...and the town I grew up in required us to clear the sidewalks within a certain amount of time after the storm passed or face a fine. Same if there was a fire hydrant on your property, which we did at our 1st house in that town.

I never lived in town but the one I'm in has cleanup and plow drivers for the sidewalks. That has made it easy for the lazy , and now with the added personnel gave them a reason for the never ending tax hikes. Sorry , but it makes me angry

Greenthumbfarms
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 60450
Tractors Owned: 1974 Cub Cadet 1450
1977 Cub Cadet 1650

1950 Farmall Cub (Georgette)
1950 Allis Chalmers WD (Allis)
1956 Farmall 230 (Gladys)
1959 Farmall 240 Utility (Heather)
1962 John Deere 4010 Gas with No.45 Loader (Pearl)
1966 John Deere 4020 Deisel (Jack)
1975 International Cub (Ozzie)

Postby Greenthumbfarms » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:01 pm

Lt.Mike wrote:
Greenthumbfarms wrote:

When I plow my driveway I hang a left out of my driveway and push back the snow against the flow of traffic for about 150’ along the shoulder.
That way when the county plow comes back he has nothing to push back in front of my driveway. ;)

Thats the right way to go. Just so long as you don't push the stuff out of the driveway and into the street to leave there, you'll never hear a complaint from the Township drivers
Secretary with Will County Threshermens Association (Will County, Illinois)
62nd Annual Will County Threshermens gas and steam tractor show July 18-21, 2024 featuring JI Case Steam and gas tractors. All makes welcome
https://www.steamshow.org/

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A

Postby Lt.Mike » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:53 pm

Magnum wrote:
Peter Person wrote:

I never lived in town but the one I'm in has cleanup and plow drivers for the sidewalks. That has made it easy for the lazy , and now with the added personnel gave them a reason for the never ending tax hikes. Sorry , but it makes me angry

It’s quite possible the average age of residents there are in their golden years. I never much cared for a town that would ticket a senior on a fixed income that just hasn’t got it in him/her to lift a shovel.
My neighbor to the left had a quadruple bypass, I dug him out. My neighbor to the right had been up since 5am and was out helping everyone else, when he got home he found I someone had his back too. ;)

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A

Postby Lt.Mike » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:02 pm

Greenthumbfarms wrote:
Lt.Mike wrote:
Greenthumbfarms wrote:There is a never ending battle between us (township plow drivers) and the landscapers clearing driveways and sidewalks. They push it into our "turf" and we push it back onto theirs.

Thats the right way to go. Just so long as you don't push the stuff out of the driveway and into the street to leave there, you'll never hear a complaint from the Township drivers

While doing my neighbors drive the township guy caught me at the end of the drive so he had to swing wide missing a lot of his run. When I cleared the end of the drive I made a fast pass down the street clearing what he missed.
Coming back the other way he saw it.
I’ll say one thing for that SA, 4th gear at full throttle will throw snow some 5’ off the side of the blade. :)

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:20 pm

I'm now plowing six neighborhood driveways and for each and every one, the snow that falls on the property, stays on the property. I'll not push snow across the street to another property or leave it in the street. I'm sorry to say that some of my neighbors do not do the same.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:25 pm

Hi,
As I remember, a few years ago someone on here was moving snow with his later 1960's Cub and blade.
He was going along a sidewalk in 3rd gear, I don't know if he said how fast he was going.
The blade caught on cement or something that was sticking up, the Cub stopped fast, he hit the steering wheel, I think.
The engine wouldn't start after that. He found that the idler gear that drives the governor had broken, I guess from the force of stopping so fast.
To replace that he would have needed to remove the front end from the Cub, remove the front crankshaft pulley, and remove the front cover from the engine.

So I guess you could say, don't go fast pushing snow when you don't know what is under the snow. :)

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A

Postby Lt.Mike » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:06 pm

If you dig back Ricky made a slick mod to his graderblade making it a proper snowplow that would trip forward if it hit something.

viewtopic.php?t=48323