This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What Paint?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jdsharp
Zip Code: 47630
Tractors Owned: 51 Cub
49 Cub
Ford 900

Re: What Paint?

Postby Jdsharp » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:48 pm

I use VanSickle IH on everything. I have been pleased with it’s coverage and durability. I buy it at Oschlens home and farm, they typically have plenty of Red, Blue and primer in stock.

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby tst » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:18 pm

I just shot the federal yellow from IH and it was good quality, mixed, shot, covered, dried nice

ShawnAgne
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45380
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub w/ 184 motor (Kid)
12V with Petronix
IH 3160 Mower Deck
54 Leveling Blade
193 Plow
IH528 Trailer
Front/Rear Weights
1955 Farmall 300 (Clarence)
12V with Petronix
Woods L306 72"
1955 Farmall 100 (Thomas)
12V with Petronix
Woods L59 60"
A60 Leveling Blade
Front/Rear Weights

Postby ShawnAgne » Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:13 pm

My 100 is being done with the paint I got at my local IH dealer. Color is different than the TSC paint I used on my Cub and 300, but stuff is WAY WAY tougher. Left a gas soaked rag on a part over night came back and wasn't bubbled at all. TSC paint bubbles just talking about gas. Haven't used a complete gallon and have all the tractor and the A60 blade done.

I go to our local ACE fairly frequently so I'll have to check and see if then have the IH red and compare.
Shawn Agne

Nautiluscont
Zip Code: 43617
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub

Postby Nautiluscont » Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:28 pm

Personally I like and use X-O brand from Family Farm and Home... International Harvester Red. Just make sure you recoat with in a hour.... Or after 3days. If not, it will wrinkle. Learned that the hardway.

BenjaMINN.
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 56374
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub
1948 Cub
(Sickle Mower, Plows, Disc & Cultivators for Cubs)
1941 H
1945 B
Dad's 1950 C
Grandpa's 1952 Super C
1976 Cub Cadet 1450

Postby BenjaMINN. » Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:26 am

Stanton wrote:No one’s mentioned VanSickle. I believe it to be priced about like Valspar, but not sure if it’s on par with it or not. Some of our local farm stores carry one or the other.
Believe you’re on track with Ace Rust Stop or Rust-Oleum for what you’re doing.

Jdsharp wrote:I use VanSickle IH on everything. I have been pleased with it’s coverage and durability. I buy it at Oschlens home and farm, they typically have plenty of Red, Blue and primer in stock.

I agree with the VanSickle as a good cheaper alternative to Iron Guard (<--which is by far the most durable and most forgiving paint for spraying).

Haven't tried Valspar myself, so I can't compare directly, but I much preferred VanSickle's alkyd enamel to Ace Rust Stop enamel. I shot some of each in IH blue on my mower parts, and ended up covering the Ace with Van Sickle in the end. VanSickle's IH red is an acrylic enamel... I haven't tried it yet, but it seems to get good reviews. I think Ace paint isn't really designed to be sprayed as the directions on the can don't really specify a thinning product/ratio for air guns. I thinned the Ace Rust Stop with mineral spirits, but it didn't really mix well (almost acted like a modified acrylic enamel). It took forever to dry, ended up with a satin finish, the color was a little off, and it was really easy to scratch off even after drying all summer. The VanSickle paint dries VERY fast, and dries to a nice hard glossy finish.

I also agree that Majic is terrible...I used a rattle can on some Cub Cadet parts once and it looked like I had wrapped the parts in crinkly yellow cellophane.

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:24 pm

I know Rust-Oleum brush on paint says to thin with acetone. It isn't a super glossy finish done that way but still gloss. You can thin with earth ghost juice but I think it's not as desirable.