This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Power Beyond, yes or no

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55
Circle of Safety: Y

Power Beyond, yes or no

Postby Rick Prentice » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:28 am

A lot of people don't understand the true reason for the "power beyond" feature. I'll try to explain it the best i can. Others can make corrections if I'm off a bit. If you already know all this, that's OK.

This first pic is a normal setup NOT using the power beyond feature. Pressure from the cub pump travels through the smaller line back to the newly installed bypass block, then diverted out and back to the newly installed control valve. The fluid flow goes into the "IN" port and travels through the open center valve and right back out the "OUT" port back to the return side of the bypass block, which then goes into the T?C unit as unused pressure, providing the T/C isn't being used.

If you use the T/C to lift something, that pressure builds and is felt from the pump, through the small metal line, through the bypass block, out through the line, into the "IN" and throughout the valve and then "OUT" and through the line into the T?C. The pressure needed in the T/C to lift something is felt in the new valve. Soon as the T/C moves and reaches it's spot, it's T/C relief opens and all the pressure back through the system is free flowing again and just keeps circulating. The T/C holds it's rockshaft position till it's asked to move again.

If you pull or push the new control valve lever, the (now used) pressure from the pump, then goes out the "A" or "B" depending which way you move the lever. If you move the lever to have pressure on "A", the fluid on the "B" side will release and go back out the "OUT", or vise-versa moving lever the opposite.

control normal.jpg

The next pic shows a "Power Beyond" setup. The purpose for this setup is similar to the normal setup above only with added protection. Remember the T/C unit on a cub is actually an open center control valve. when you add another open center control valve to the cub, you have 2 open center control valves in series, providing you set things up the normal way members do on the cub. Pressure from the cub pump travels through the smaller line back to newly installed bypass block, then diverted out and back to the newly installed control valve. The unused fluid flow travels into the "IN" side of new valve and because its an "open center" valve it flows straight through the valve and now exits out the "Power Beyond" side. To have this feature you need to buy a control valve with the "Power Beyond" feature and the screw in fitting. You plumb the lines differently. The line attached to the "Power Beyond" fitting goes back to the bypass block return side. The "OUT" line goes to the special fitting installed in the T/C fill hole.

The reason for a "Power Beyond" setup is it makes the new valve stronger. That fitting screws into the beyond port and reaches in and eliminates internal pressure on the sidewalls of the casting while using the T/C unit. Remember, when you use the T/C to lift something, everything from the pump to the T/C unit is under pressure. The purpose for the line running from the "OUT" to the T/C fill hole is because anytime you use the new control valve, that pressure used on either the "A" or "B" ports, once you move the lever to reposition, the trapped fluid need to be released. That trapped fluid, because of the way the valve is made internally, needs to exit and it can't exit with the rest of the fluid because you installed the "Beyond" fitting which blocks off the normal routing of fluid.

control power beyond.jpg

VOID this next paragraph. Due to clarafication on another post, I now feel it best to play it safe and only use a control valve with "Power Beyond"
Some members use the first setup, some use the second. My feelings, most new control valves sold today are made beefy enough that the sidewall blowing out is non-existent, especially if you have a normal operating T/C unit with it's quick relief setup. Now maybe using control valves in series on other bigger equipment, the "Beyond" setup would be called for.

Rick
Last edited by Rick Prentice on Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

tnestell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48609
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Power Beyond, yes or no

Postby tnestell » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:27 pm

This is where I believe that the power angle blade started. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5128&p=30692#p30692
The only modification to my original design was to move the hydraulic cylinder from the left side of the blade to the right.

The reason why is that I push the snow more to the right and the cylinder is not extended most of the time. Using a small hydraulic cylinder, I have had two ruined cylinders, one due to hitting something hidden and one due to a carriage bolt letting lose. I believe replacing a hydraulic cylinder is easier and cheaper than trying to replace a part of the blade.

Sixteen years and still working fine.

Nautiluscont
Zip Code: 43617
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub

Postby Nautiluscont » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:22 am

Thank you Rick. This makes sense.

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:04 pm

tnestell wrote: I have had two ruined cylinders, one due to hitting something hidden

There is a safety valve made that will protect your hydraulic cylinders.

I think I have saw them as a option on 3 point back blades with hydraulic angle!