This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Minimum requirements for a valid compression test

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
TinkerBolt
Zip Code: 27560

Minimum requirements for a valid compression test

Postby TinkerBolt » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:30 am

Hi all, I have a newly acquired 1950 Cub that hasn't run in about 5 years. With a hand crank, I discovered the engine was seized so I removed the head and found cylinder 2 with water in it and some rust. After a night of soaking, I was able to pretty easily free it up. I have cleaned up that cylinder and would like to do a compression test on all the cylinders to see what I am starting with. My question is what are the minimum steps I need to take to put the head back on to just get valid compression readings? For example, can I reuse the head gasket (it looks in very good condition)? Can I reuse the bolts? Do I really need to torque them all the way to 45 ft/lbs? I have the carb completely off - do I need to re-install it? I know the throttle has to be wide open for the test so I figured there would be no harm in having the carb off altogether. I stripped all the electrical and don't have a battery yet. Can I get a compression test with just the hand crank? Appreciate any advice.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Minimum requirements for a valid compression test

Postby Barnyard » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:01 am

For testing you can use the current gasket and bolts. The bolts don't need to be torqued for testing, but at least snug. I don't see why you can't do it with out the manifold. Use the ignition to turn the engine over. You will never turn it fast enough with a hand crank. You can use a battery by hooking a jumper cable to a ground spot on the cub and the other end to the top of the starter switch.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

TinkerBolt
Zip Code: 27560

Postby TinkerBolt » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:41 am

Ran both dry and wet compression tests last night. Dry test came back with 50 psi on 3 of 4 cylinders, but #2 cylinder only showed 30 psi. Wet test came back at 80 psi on 3 of the 4 and #2 was only 50. I'm not surprised at the lack of compression on #2. When I got the tractor, the engine was seized and cylinder 2 was filled with water. After I got it unstuck, the cylinder walls were pitted from rust. Are there any options to remedy that other than removing the block and having it re-bored?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:03 am

TinkerBolt wrote:After I got it unstuck, the cylinder walls were pitted from rust. Are there any options to remedy that other than removing the block and having it re-bored?
Disassemble the engine. Pass or two with cylinder hone. Check for pitting.

No pits, measure everything.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farmall Cub”