This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

J4 Magneto hook-up question.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BeeGeezer
Zip Code: 72958

Re: J4 Magneto hook-up question.

Postby BeeGeezer » Mon May 17, 2021 10:12 am

When I as a kid I helped my Grandpa work in his shop. He was a life long mechanic that could fix anything. At that time these old tractors and cars were the sorts of things that were on the way out to make room for the new more convenient versions.
I used to always count on him to keep me straight while putting something together. Sadly he has been gone for over thirty years and I am now the Grandpaw. Working on this tractor reminds me of time spent with him. I really miss him, not only was he my Grandpaw, but he was also my friend.

Thanks again,
Alex

g

Mht
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27606
Tractors Owned: 1949 farmall cub(building from parts) 1950 farmall cub
1971 David Brown 880 selectamatic
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Mht » Mon May 17, 2021 2:02 pm

The lever on the governor that the throttle lever connects to is prone to freezing up and this can lead to lack of governor response and your cub not responding to a load. This may or not be what you are referring to as lack of throttle response. If this is the case you might want to apply some penetrating oil to the pivot point of the lever. Some times it takes more than just oil to free them up. Be careful if prying or tapping on the lever to free it up. It’s cast iron and can be broken fairly easily.

BeeGeezer

Postby BeeGeezer » Mon May 17, 2021 5:44 pm

That does sounds like what has happened as it seems to be getting a little better on it's own.

Thanks

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Gary Dotson » Tue May 18, 2021 7:25 am

Also, the governor rock shaft pivot, at the left front corner of the engine, is prone to rusting and wrecking governor response. A few drops of oil make a world of difference.

BeeGeezer

Postby BeeGeezer » Wed May 19, 2021 2:13 pm

I have that cleaned up pretty good now. I will put some oil on it.

Thanks