This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

PTO repair made easy

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
DrLandraceFarmer
Zip Code: 35051
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

PTO repair made easy

Postby DrLandraceFarmer » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:17 pm

Just a shout out and thanks to all those who post and make this such a helpful forum-
Thanks to some reading on here I easily identified and repaired my PTO issues. I replaced all the parts while I was in there, but I knew exactly what was wrong after a quick search on the forum. The pics say it all-
Attachments
E467C171-7CCD-48E9-BD1B-A039B095D47E.jpeg
E467C171-7CCD-48E9-BD1B-A039B095D47E.jpeg (26.31 KiB) Viewed 396 times
1949 Cub
Circle of Safety

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Re: PTO repair made easy

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:41 pm

You can repair it, by drilling out the worn pin and welding/brazing/silver soldering a new pin in. I cut a piece off the end of a metal drill bit as it is hard steel.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Nelson 634
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 22958
Tractors Owned: 5 Cubs
1952 100
1960 460 Utility

Postby Nelson 634 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:37 pm

I've seen that before. Unfortunately that can be a sign of a larger problem. I would check the shaft that runs through the transmission to the PTO shaft is not worn. A worn spline on that shaft tends to push the collar towards the back and wear that little pin your holding in you hand. I've replaced that lever several times on one of my cubs. Only to find I should have replaced the drive shaft due to worn splines. "Something caused it to wear?" I learned it the hard way.
Walter

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:24 am

y Nelson 634 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:37 am

I've seen that before. Unfortunately that can be a sign of a larger problem. I would check the shaft that runs through the transmission to the PTO shaft is not worn. A worn spline on that shaft tends to push the collar towards the back and wear that little pin your holding in you hand. I've replaced that lever several times on one of my cubs. Only to find I should have replaced the drive shaft due to worn splines. "Something caused it to wear?" I learned it the hard way.
Walter

Totally agree with Walter. Usually you can remove the top big fill plug and shine a flashlight through the hole and inspect the splines coming out of the tranny.

Here's what good splines(far right splines) should look like, copied from TM
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"