This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New Farmall Cub - Belly Mower Questions

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
drober87
Zip Code: 38618

New Farmall Cub - Belly Mower Questions

Postby drober87 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:52 pm

Hello Farmall community. I'm new to the Farmall Cub thing, and have some questions I'm hoping you all can help with. My father-in-law recently purchased a 1949 Farmall Cub with a belly mower, and it's become somewhat of a joint effort to get it in proper running order. The Cub fires right up and drives well. Our issue has become the belly mower. The blades engage and it will mow, but increasingly the belt slips off, and occasionally the PTO pulley comes off as well.

So, I guess my first question is, what type of belly mower do I have? The mower doesn't seem to have any identifying markings left. Measuring the deck of the mower, it comes to just about 45 inches. From browsing around the forum, I'm thinking it is an International/Danco C-2, but would be interested in what you all have to say.

Given that the belt keeps coming off, my first thought is to get a new belt, as the old one has some rough spots and I have no idea how old it is (it's definitely been used). Assuming the mower is the C-2, would I be correct that the belt is a B136?

The next issue is the PTO pulley that is coming off. The pulley that's on there is just shy of 8 inches. However, it says "Worthington" on it, so I'm thinking it may not be the original/correct pulley. In any event, do we think that replacing the belt will help keep the pulley in place? Also, the PTO shaft has a small hole running through it, which I assume is for some sort of retaining pin. However, I cannot get the current pulley to go on the shaft far enough to access the hole (the pulley just covers it up). Am I correct that there should be some sort of retaining pin running through the PTO shaft in order to keep the pulley in place?

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm very much a novice at the whole tractor thing!
Attachments
IMG_1861.jpeg
IMG_1861.jpeg (40.06 KiB) Viewed 795 times
IMG_1860.jpeg
IMG_1860.jpeg (41.73 KiB) Viewed 795 times

Pap
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 38401
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub ( Err Err )
I could not say tractor when I was 2 years old so I called it Err Err.

I loved this tractor then and I still love it now.
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New Farmall Cub - Belly Mower Questions

Postby Pap » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:10 pm

Welcome dorber. I can't help you but you have come to the right place to get help. There is a lot of people on here that knows what you are trying to find out about. I'm sure someone will have the info you are looking for.
Good luck with your project.
Are We Having Fun Yet ? :D
'47 cub ( Err Err )

Pap
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 38401
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub ( Err Err )
I could not say tractor when I was 2 years old so I called it Err Err.

I loved this tractor then and I still love it now.

Postby Pap » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:12 pm

My bad. Welcome drober.
Are We Having Fun Yet ? :D
'47 cub ( Err Err )

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:06 am

Your pulley is what is referred to as a taper lock pulley. The pulley is slid onto the pto shaft, to the proper location, to align with the pulleys on the mule drive. You then tighten the three small bolts that you see on the face of the pulley. This pulls the 2 units of the taper together, locking the pulley in place. This may help keep the v-belt on but from your description, you’ll likely have to replace it. Also, make certain the mule drive pulleys are in good condition and that the bearings are good in both.

Cubfriend
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 68803
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub, Kittie; 1948 Cub, Harold; 1949 Cub, 49er; 1951 Cub, Tucker; 1951 Cub, Homely; 1956 Cub High Crop; 1957 Cub Loboy; 57 Cub Loboy w/fasthitch + 194 plow; 1958 Cub LoBoy w/FH, Popeye; 1961 Cub, Beater; #1-1962 Cub Loboy Dually (Originally Orange) w/Foot Throttle; #2-1962 Cub Loboy Dually (Originally Orange) w/Foot throttle; Yellow 1963 Cub Loboy and blade; 1970 Cub, Cubbie; and 5 other Cubs in various stages of disaasembly and disrepair; 1962 Cub Cadet Original; 2 other Cub Cadet Originals; Cub Cadet 100; Cub Cadet 124 w/Creeper; Cub Cadet 147; 2 Cub Cadet 129's; Cub Cadet 149; 1948 Allis Chalmers C w/single frontwheel; 1944 Farmall H w/Tokhiem Cab; 2 One Point Fasthitch Carriers; 2-#100 Fasthitch Rear Blade; 2 Sets Cub 144 Cultivators; 2 Sets Cub #252 Cultivators; 3 Cub #193 Mouldboard Plows; 1 Cub #193 Slatted Plow; 1 1948 Cub-54 Snow Plow; 3 Cub-54 49-5 Snow Plows; Cub #6 Tool Bar w/Disc Blades & Middlebuster. 2-#105 sickle mowers, #152 disc plow

Postby Cubfriend » Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:23 am

While your PTO pulley is off, you may want to take it apart and clean any rust off the tapered bushing and bolts and reassemble clean parts and snug it up pretty well. If the bolts are marginal get some new grade eight bolts. Some anti seize on the bolts could help later on if it needs to come apart again.
Frank

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:36 am

You may not need this information right now if your pulley is loose, but you use two of those small bolts in the "extra" 2 holes to "push" the tapered part out of engagement with the pulley sheave. This is how you remove the pieces from your PTO shaft. The tapered part can still be a little difficult to remove depending on rust and dirt, etc.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:45 am

Cubfriend wrote:While your PTO pulley is off, you may want to take it apart and clean any rust off the tapered bushing and bolts and reassemble clean parts and snug it up pretty well. If the bolts are marginal get some new grade eight bolts. Some anti seize on the bolts could help later on if it needs to come apart again.

If you don't already know, to remove the PTO Pulley, remove the 3 bolts...but be careful, as they are small & easily broken off if you force them. Spray them with a good penetrating oil, and be very gentle with them...tiny movements at first to get them free. Then use 2 new screws in those two OTHER holes, & gently screw them down evenly, a bit at a time. They should eventually push the pulley forward off the bushing. Then you can remove both pieces.

And from the HOW TO section here, this will probably explain it a lot better!!

http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=42617

Finally, WELCOME!! :hattip:

NOTE:. Guess I type too slow...Rick obviously gets to the point quicker than I!! :lol:
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:30 am

that is a IH/Danco C2, also it should have belt guides that are missing by the pulley on the deck to keep the belt from jumping off, if you down load the instructions from this server for the mower you will see that, not hard to make
and the PTO pulley make sure all the splines are not all worn out also
Attachments
IMG_5889.JPG

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:25 pm

Hi,
The PTO splines need to be in good condition for the tapered style of pulley to lock on the splines.
If the splines are worn it might be a problem.

The small hole through the PTO shaft is used for a cotter key on Cub 22 Mower drive pulley. That is the side mounted sickle bar mower.
I don't think rotary mower drive pulleys that are tapered use the hole, but I haven't seen all of them.

Below is a pic from TM Tractor of the Cub 22 Mower drive pulley. The larger hole is for a 3/8" bolt that tightens the pulley on the PTO shaft.

Below is the C-2 Mower operator's manual. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html
Attachments
Cub 22 mower pulley.jpg

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:23 am

Welcome to the Forum!

Take some time and read through a few threads to acquaint yourself with the Forum:

After you’ve logged your 2nd post on the Forum, you'll have access to the all the PDF Manuals on this site. There’s a few ways to do that:
  • From a desktop or laptop, go to "Quick Links" in the upper left corner of your screen. Hit that and a pull-down appears where you'll find "PDF Manuals".
  • You can also go to “Cub Info” in the upper toolbar, then hit “Rudi’s Manuals”. From there, you can access a variety of information.
  • If you're using a phone, go to the "Links Directory" (second category down the main page). Once in "Links Directory" , scroll down to the second section "Tractor Parts & Manuals" and you'll find them there.

You'll be able to download an Owner's Manual and any service manuals that interest you. Implement Manuals are also available, including the IH/Danco C-2 mower manual.

There are a lot of good threads dealing with Cub repair and maintenance in the How To Forum. Located here: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=11

We’d encourage you to take the Safety Test located in the Safety Forum: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=68084

Take some pictures of your tractor and post them, we’d like to see them.

Remember:
  • Pictures are limited to 500 KB file size. Use an image reducer app or program to downsize pics.
  • When you have a specific question, start a new thread in the appropriate sub-forum.
  • Before posting, use the Preview button before hitting Submit--it'll show you exactly what your post will look like, including pictures.
  • When adding your comments to a thread, be sure to look at the date of the last poster. If it’s more than a 6 months old, the posters are probably not going to see it. Consider starting a new thread.

Glad you joined us.

:tractor:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

DrLandraceFarmer
Zip Code: 35051
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub

Postby DrLandraceFarmer » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:09 pm

Hi drober87, I’ll give my two cents I suppose. I have a 49 cub and run a C2 mower. Love this thing! I mow all the roads, yard, and around the lake on our (now retired) farm. This mower set up is perfect for the yard and the more challenging areas as well.

To your issue: the PTO pulley I have is exactly what Glenn shows from TM Tractor. I run a B136 belt and it works perfectly. I believe the manual calls for a 1/2x138 belt. Based on the forum I’d say most people run a B136 (5/8x139), more durable and has the same 136 ID as the original. Certainly, that large pulley you have would change the belt size, I’d assume.

I recently found myself out to mow and the belt kept slipping off. I tightened the belt, checked everything and it just kept flying off as soon as I’d engage the PTO. The belt was just worn out. Bought a replacement and a spare to hang on the wall and back in business!

I think once you sort out your mower setup and get a fresh belt on it you’ll be mowing with ease! Good luck
1949 Cub
Circle of Safety

Radec Aksarben
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 68736
Tractors Owned: '48 Farmall Cub w/ IH-Danco C2 belly mower, full cultivator
'52 Farmall Cub w/ 193 plow, 28-A disk, flail mower, buzz saw, leveling blade,
misc cultivator parts and attachments
1450 Cub Cadet with mower deck (sold)
'49 Farmall M w/ factory disk brakes (not super style)
'51 International I-9 - rusty yellow (sold but in family)

Postby Radec Aksarben » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:13 pm

tst wrote:that is a IH/Danco C2, also it should have belt guides that are missing by the pulley on the deck to keep the belt from jumping off, if you down load the instructions from this server for the mower you will see that, not hard to make

I really like those decals. Did you have those made or are they available somewhere?

Radec Aksarben
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 68736
Tractors Owned: '48 Farmall Cub w/ IH-Danco C2 belly mower, full cultivator
'52 Farmall Cub w/ 193 plow, 28-A disk, flail mower, buzz saw, leveling blade,
misc cultivator parts and attachments
1450 Cub Cadet with mower deck (sold)
'49 Farmall M w/ factory disk brakes (not super style)
'51 International I-9 - rusty yellow (sold but in family)

Postby Radec Aksarben » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:19 pm

DrLandraceFarmer wrote:Hi drober87, I’ll give my two cents I suppose. I have a 49 cub and run a C2 mower...

To your issue: the PTO pulley I have is exactly what Glenn shows from TM Tractor. I run a B136 belt and it works perfectly. I believe the manual calls for ...
...Good luck

I'd suggest sticking with the 8" sheave to keep the correct blade speed. Having a smaller driver wouldn't hurt anything since it wouldn't overspeed, but I'm skeptical the cut would be as clean.

I found that having the tension side mule idler as low as possible (so the left side idler would be higher) helps keep the belt running well on the drive sheave.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:27 pm

Radec Aksarben wrote:
tst wrote:that is a IH/Danco C2, also it should have belt guides that are missing by the pulley on the deck to keep the belt from jumping off, if you down load the instructions from this server for the mower you will see that, not hard to make

I really like those decals. Did you have those made or are they available somewhere?

Tim makes those decals himself.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:58 am

Simple check that works for me. The belt should be as vertical as possible between the PTO and mule drive pulleys, and as horizontal as possible between the mule drive pulleys and the spindle. That implies that the mule drive pulleys are at the same height. If your belt was short then having the left side horizontal and cheating the right side might be a better way to keep the belt on.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)