This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Prestolite dist

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
john2189
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44657
Circle of Safety: Y

Prestolite dist

Postby john2189 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:45 am

The ih dist on my 72 cub is worn out. I put a prestolite dist on my 154 a few years ago, so I took it off to put on the 72. Went to put the wires on and no way will the wire go on the cap for number 4, didn’t try the others. I measured both of the dist and the ih is 1/2” shorter. I was considering cutting off a 1/2” off of number 4 post cap, but I don’t know if that will help. Then I thought about grinding some off of the filter housing but don’t know how thick that is. Both engines look the same.
Just can’t see why it worked on the loboy but not the cub
Anyone have this trouble?
'49 Cub (Vince)
'41 allis B with Woods L59 mower
656 Wheel Horse with 42” sickle mower
C-165 Wheel Horse
Simplicity 20 HP Sunstar
Honda 48” walk behind mower

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Re: Prestolite dist

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:42 am

The engine block on both tractors should be identical (same part number!). I don't see why there should be a difference in how the distributor fits. I have never done anything with a Prestolite distributor. But as tight as the IH distributor is at the filter, I can't imagine one 1/2 inch longer being usable. Are you sure you have the Prestolite assembled and installed exactly as it was on the 154?

I don't know how thick the filter housing is either, but I'm confident is is much less than 1/2 inch. If one block is the original part (R8) and the other something earlier, there may be some difference in the shape of the filter housing. I wouldn't think anything near 1/2 inch of difference.

john2189
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44657

Re: Prestolite dist

Postby john2189 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:19 pm

It’s installed the same as the 154. I didn’t change the drive, but they both measure the same. I’ll check the r8 number, I do know the cub has a 1965 engine
'49 Cub (Vince)
'41 allis B with Woods L59 mower
656 Wheel Horse with 42” sickle mower
C-165 Wheel Horse
Simplicity 20 HP Sunstar
Honda 48” walk behind mower

Return to “Farmall Cub”