This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Generator Questions

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Generator Questions

Postby Glen » Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:55 pm

Hi,
Below are pages from the 1955 Cub operator's manual showing which post on the generator is the A, and which is the F.
It looks like the post to the left side of the Cub is the A post. The A post on the gen is usually marked Gen on the voltage regulator.
The center pic shows the wiring routing also.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-38.jpg

The page below tells what the numbers on the 1st page are, and has a pic with the hood off, showing where the voltage regulator is.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-39.jpg

IH began using the voltage regulator electrical system on Cubs during 1950, at Cub serial number 115403.
They had the 3 brush gen up to 1962, like Jim said on page 1 of this post.
The info is in the Cub parts manual.

Someone was saying there is info online saying they only used the 3 brush gen with a Cutout, or Relay, IH called it. That is not what the Cub parts manuals say.

The points in the voltage regulator can get burned over time, then sometimes the reg won't work.
You can file them, and clean them. Run a clean rag through them after filing them, and clean all filings off of them.
Sometimes the reg will work again, and sometimes it won't.
One coil of wire and set of points controls the voltage output of the gen. Sometimes the reg needs adjusting to put out more, or less voltage.
It is the set of points that is always closed.
The spring that holds the points closed needs more tension to increase the voltage output.
There is usually an adjustment for it.

The other set of points turns the charging system on and off.
The points should be open when the engine is off.

Below is a pic of a Cub voltage regulator.
The coil of wire with the points that control the voltage output are on the left, notice the reg is facing with the 1 wire post toward the camera, the 3 posts are on the other side or the reg.
I don't know if all brands of regulators are made the same.
There may be an adjustment screw on the other side, away from the camera, I don't know how every brand is made.
I have bent the metal mounting at the bottom of the spring, where the pencil is pointing.
More tension on the spring increases the voltage output, on the brand of reg I have anyway.
It only takes a tiny amount of bending to change the voltage output. :)
Attachments
Cub reg 2.jpg

BSFlyBoy
Zip Code: 64029
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub
JD 870
LS M352HC

Postby BSFlyBoy » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:23 pm

Thanks Jim, I really appreciate the help. I'll verify the terminals tomorrow. Based on a photo I took before disassembly I'm fairly certain they are backwards.

BSFlyBoy
Zip Code: 64029
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub
JD 870
LS M352HC

Postby BSFlyBoy » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:01 pm

The final conclusion! The voltage regulator, purchased new last year when I rewired the Cub, was bad. I used the troubleshooting chart on another thread and the ammeter showed charge when I jumped the F terminal to the battery ground. I happened to have a spare, installed and now the needle is on the charge side of the ammeter.
Thanks to everyone for all the help, greatly appreciate your wealth of knowledge and willingness to share it.