This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Missing Plug on Drive Shaft Housing

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Hollyforestcub
Zip Code: 19970
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub

Missing Plug on Drive Shaft Housing

Postby Hollyforestcub » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:22 pm

Greetings.

We are new Cub owners. today I noticed small oil dripping from the driveshaft housing. The housing has a 3 1/2” hole on the bottom. Open to the housing.

I looked a a neighbor’s Cub and it looks like I am missing a 3 1/2” plug. His Cub has this plug and it look like it has a dimpled surface. It seems to be pressed in as I see no threads.

Anyone know what this part is called and if I can get a replace

A search of areas where I have driven the tractor has turned up nothing

Thanks. John

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Missing Plug on Drive Shaft Housing

Postby Clemsonfor » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:03 pm

Thats the inspection cover. You can adjust the clutch through it. You can buy it look at one of the sponsors here or look for it on eBay or Amazon. It has a little bracket that grabs the inside of the casing and has a wing nut that tightens down on it.

Here one is on eBay. This is not my item nor do I know the guy, just the first one that was on the search and he has good pics .
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Farmall-Cub-cl ... 632-2357-0

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:52 pm

when you replace the cover I use a drop of locktite on the wing nut, the vibration shakes it loose and then it does what happened to yours, it is a cover only, your oil drip is another issue, engine oil or transmission oil?

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:51 pm

Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:36 am

Hi,
The hole is for clutch access. The cover is shown in the Cub owner's manual.
There is a grease fitting there you should grease if you haven't.
The fitting is on the throwout bearing. They say on here use cheap grease, so the oil in the grease absorbs into the graphite material in the throwout bearing. The original style bearing doesn't turn, it is a solid bearing.
Below is a page from the 1949 Cub owner's manual showing the clutch and the grease fitting, in the lower pic on the page.
The page is in the owner's manual I posted for you in July, at the Introduce Yourself section.
You can get to your posts at the top left of the page, at Quick links, then click on Your posts. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-40.jpg

dbates
Zip Code: 55987

Postby dbates » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:01 pm

On a related note - My Cub has the 351686R3 torque tube and just behind the hole referenced in this conversation mine has a hole (1/2' or so) near the big 3' hole referenced where oil is running out of mine. It is maybe 1 inch from where the tractor can be split in half. I am trying to determine if that hole is missing a drain plug or if maybe a frost plug?

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:18 pm

that hole is left open

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:09 pm

No frost plug in the torque tube. There should be nothing bin there and the hole is to allow oil out so it doesn't build up and soak the clutch.

Hollyforestcub
Zip Code: 19970
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub

Postby Hollyforestcub » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:19 pm

I was able to replace the missing cap. This was during the summer and the oil drip was from a grease fitting.

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:46 pm

As Glen stated the grease fitting you see is for the graphite clutch throwout bearing. Only use an inexpensive grease that allows the oil to saturate the graphite. The TSC green tube is what most of us use. A couple of times per year depending on use is sufficient. Pump the grease in until it comes out the hole on top of the bearing.
The oil could be transmission gear oil flowing downhill from the input shaft seal.
The rear seal on the engine does go bad, but that would leak out from the 1/2 moon cover plate behind the oilpan, attached to the torque tube.
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.

Postby Crimson Tim » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:29 am

The inspection cover really isn’t going to do much to contain an oil leak.
I suppose it’s possible if the check valve in a zerk fitting fails, but I’ve never heard of oil dripping from a grease fitting.
Mainly, the two sources of oil in there would be the rear main seal on the engine, which as mentioned, you would usually see at the half-moon cover, or the front seal on the transmission.
I hear a leak from the transmission will collect in a depression toward the rear of the housing, so nosing the Cub down a hill can can cause a big blurp of collected oil to leak out all at once.
Not sure how either source could splash up onto the grease fitting to make it look like that’s the source for the leak, but these are the two I have often heard about in there.

Return to “Farmall Cub”