This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Mower deck identification

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
JFK
Zip Code: 21102

Mower deck identification

Postby JFK » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:40 pm

I've recently acquired a 1965 Cub Lo-Boy as part of a new home purchase. The tractor seems in pretty good shape, the previous owner had it for 35 years and had purchased it from the original owner.

I'm not sure if I'm in the right forum as I don't see one specifically for the earlier Lo-Boy series, but I'm hoping to get a little basic info from some experienced experts.

I'm trying to identify the belly-mounted mower deck. I'm not sure if it is an IH C-3, a Woods 59LB or something else. It may be original to the tractor. Unfortunately I don't see a way to post any photos here, so can only provide a description.

It looks like the deck is painted white over yellow. There are three 20.25" blades, each held on with two bolts. Three belts, one from the mule drive to the center pulley and one belt to each of the outside blades. I cannot find any identifying marks or a serial number plate. There is a guard plate that covers the front and top of the RH side spindle/pulley, but not the sides or rear. The LH side spindle/pulley guard, if there was one, has gone walkabout.

If anyone can provide a way to positively identify what mower I have, I'd really appreciate it.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Mower deck identification

Postby Cub-Bud » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:10 pm

Your deck description matches the deck I bought to put under my '55 Lo-Boy. I have the IH 3160 mower that originally was under a numbered series lo-boy. If I remember correctly, the 3160 mowers were made by Danco.
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:56 pm

JFK wrote:......I'm not sure if I'm in the right forum as I don't see one specifically for the earlier Lo-Boy series, but I'm hoping to get a little basic info from some experienced experts..
Welcome to the forum. The "off-set" Farmall/IH lowboy tractors are basically the same as the Farmall/IH CUB tractors so most posts are usually in the FARMALL CUB forum. The "off-set" loboy tractors were discontinued when the NUMBER SERIES LOBOY (154, 184, 185) were introduced. Good Luck and enjoy the ride! :D
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:09 am

Welcome!
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:53 am

Welcome to the Forum, JFK! Amazing that someone left a Farmall LoBoy behind.

Take some time and read through a few threads to acquaint yourself with the Forum:

After you’ve logged your 2nd post on the Forum, you'll have access to the all the PDF Manuals on this site. There’s a few ways to do that:
  • From a desktop or laptop, go to "Quick Links" in the upper left corner of your screen. Hit that and a pull-down appears where you'll find "PDF Manuals".
  • You can also go to “Cub Info” in the upper toolbar, then hit “Rudi’s Manuals”. From there, you can access a variety of information.
  • If you're using a phone, go to the "Links Directory" (second category down the main page). Once in "Links Directory" , scroll down to the second section "Tractor Parts & Manuals" and you'll find them there.

You'll be able to download an Owner's Manual (very strongly recommended) and any service manuals that interest you. Implement Manuals are also available, including mower manuals to help ID your mower.

Don't know how long your Cub has been sitting, but you might enjoy reading through this thread: What to do with a Cub you just brought home

There are a lot of good threads dealing with Cub repair and maintenance in the How To Forum. Located here: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=11

We’d encourage you to take the Safety Test located in the Safety Forum: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=68084

Take some pictures of your tractor and mower and post them, we’d be able to help ID the mower.

Remember:
  • Pictures are limited to 500 KB file size. Use an image reducer app or program to downsize pics.
  • When you have a specific question, start a new thread in the appropriate sub-forum.
  • Before posting, use the Preview button before hitting Submit--it'll show you exactly what your post will look like, including pictures.
  • When adding your comments to a thread, be sure to look at the date of the last poster. If it’s more than a 6 months old, the posters are probably not going to see it. Consider starting a new thread.

Glad you joined us.

:tractor:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

MisterTea
Zip Code: 62305

Postby MisterTea » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:01 am

Hi JFK,

That sounds a lot like the C-3 I recently got. Take a look at my photos in this thread to see if it matches yours: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=111585

Bermuda Ken
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 53536
Tractors Owned: Tractors owned past/present:

Farmall.....F-1206, F-806 sn#501.

Cub Cadet...Original(s), 122, Spirit of 76, 1200, 1250, 1450, 782, 782 Diesel (2), 984, 982, CADET 000 LT Prototype.

Postby Bermuda Ken » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:08 pm

Woods mowers only use 1 bolt to hold the blade on to the spindle. The C-3 deck has 2 bolts to hold the blade on. The woods deck has a single drive belt. The IH deck may have 3 belts. You don't have a Woods deck.
Cub Cadets....Engineered for people who know better!

Return to “Farmall Cub”