This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

head gasket ?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .
Circle of Safety: Y

head gasket ?

Postby coppersmythe » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:48 pm

Hello from the beat up deep south . quick question . changed the head gasket on my 65' loboy . ran it a little bit . do i re-torque "hot"(warm) or cold ?? coppersmythe..................................

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Re: head gasket ?

Postby Glen » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:50 pm

Hi,
Retorque the head bolts when the engine is cold, they have said on here before.

Below is a page from the 1965 Cub and LoBoy operator's manual telling the number of hours of use that IH said to go before retorquing the head bolts for a new tractor, I would think when you remove the head and put it on again, it would be about the same number of hours of use before retorquing the bolts.
It says 50 hours of use.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-71.jpg

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .

Postby coppersmythe » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:12 pm

Glen wrote:Hi,

Below is a page from the 1965 Cub and LoBoy operator's manual telling the number of hours of use that IH said to go before retorquing the head bolts for a new tractor, I would think when you remove the head and put it on again, it would be about the same number of hours of use before retorquing the bolts.
It says 50 hours of use.

Thanks glen , i have received info from well known rebuilders that recommend retorqueing hot (warm) . i will study and go from there . thanks for your input .............coppersmythe............................

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:23 am

coppersmythe wrote:
Glen wrote:Hi,

It says 50 hours of use.

Thanks glen , i have received info from well known rebuilders that recommend retorqueing hot (warm) . i will study and go from there . thanks for your input .............coppersmythe............................

Interesting. From a layman’s perspective, the bolts and surrounding block in a warm engine would be expanded, versus a “cold” engine. I would assume you could torque the bolts down tighter when cold.

Unless there’s good evidence to the contrary, would think the IH manual would be correct.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby coppersmythe » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:55 am

'76 ford 302 . I would say a pretty common engine . the timing chain ate up the camshaft gear and jumped timing . i had about a 50/50 split of opinion from multiple repair shops , half said non interference , no way the valves are bent , half said absolutely , valves are "bent" . one said " it depends " . the motor did have quite a few miles on it , so i ended up buying a crate motor and installed it myself . coppersmythe.......................................................

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:05 pm

coppersmythe wrote:'76 ford 302 . I would say a pretty common engine . the timing chain ate up the camshaft gear and jumped timing . i had about a 50/50 split of opinion from multiple repair shops , half said non interference , no way the valves are bent , half said absolutely , valves are "bent" . one said " it depends " . the motor did have quite a few miles on it , so i ended up buying a crate motor and installed it myself . coppersmythe.......................................................

What??? :lol: Hahaha
What does this have to do with torquing the head hot or cold?

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby coppersmythe » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:12 pm

Clemsonfor wrote:
coppersmythe wrote:'76 ford 302 . I would say a pretty common engine . the timing chain ate up the camshaft gear and jumped timing . i had about a 50/50 split of opinion from multiple repair shops , half said non interference , no way the valves are bent , half said absolutely , valves are "bent" . one said " it depends " . the motor did have quite a few miles on it , so i ended up buying a crate motor and installed it myself . coppersmythe.......................................................

just an example of differences of opinion . a 76 ford 302 , how many hundreds of thousand have been rebuilt over the years , and still disagreement . :shock: coppersmythe.................

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:57 pm

coppersmythe wrote:
Clemsonfor wrote:

just an example of differences of opinion . a 76 ford 302 , how many hundreds of thousand have been rebuilt over the years , and still disagreement . :shock: coppersmythe.................

These things are not also absolutes. I did a timing belt on my 4.7l V8 Toyota last year. I changed it at TDC, I didn't roll it a few degrees to the service marks to take the tension off the cams and springs. I had a cam flop as I was lining the belt up. This is an interface engine. Reading the internet I feared I had ruined that head. Some folks said when it flops it ruins the valves that would hit. Others said nothing happens. Luckily I was the latter. But now I know ones I am in TDC to roll the engine a few degrees till the service marks all line up and to do the change in the service position so that the tension is off the cams. There is a lot of stored energy in those compressed valve springs.

That said I'll say this ...Toyota power. Love a Toyota.