Issues after carb rebuild

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BucketHead
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01050
Tractors Owned: 1963 MF 202
1953 Super C
1949 Cub
1970 LoBoy 154
1949 M

Re: Issues after carb rebuild

Postby BucketHead » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:40 pm

Jim... Thank you for the reminder!

So, I took your advice and, after actually rereading the manual, I adjusted the timing properly which was advanced close to 18 degrees (someone had set the idle timing a couple of degrees before the 16 degrees BTDC mark). This immediately dropped the idle RPM to 500. I also properly adjusted the governor/carburetor linkage that was off by nearly a 1/2". Despite these corrections the throttle and engine response is still kinda wonky.

Today all the parts for the tune up (points, rotor, cap, seals, and wires) arrived and I'll do the tune up later this week. I also ordered the bigger main jet... Holy mackerel, it's a lot bigger! I'll install it before the tune up and see how it goes. Thanks again for all the responses and those of you who reached out to me in the PM.

Jim Becker wrote:
Start by fixing the things you know need fixing. Don't try to troubleshoot your way around the gray area of known problems.
[/quote]
Karl

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Issues after carb rebuild

Postby Clemsonfor » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:48 pm

Wouldn't it be better for everyone to learn and figure out if they have similar bissues if help was posted in the thread and not by PM? I can see if someone is offering parts or something or sending a phone number to talk to the person by phone. But seems like all info that leads to a solution should be in the thread.

I'm not mad or trying to come off harsh but that's really the whole point to a forum. To help those who are asking for help which is being done even if by PM. But it also helps others who come here with a similar problem to read a similar one to theirs and read through the posts and see what others did that may have helped.