This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Tie rod adjustment questions

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Binky Tremain
Zip Code: 19063
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub

Tie rod adjustment questions

Postby Binky Tremain » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:38 pm

Here’s what I’m seeing:

The adjustable portion of my tie rods shows a larger threaded gap on the right side, when compared to the left.

Right tire leaves a continuous mark when moving down driveway.

Tie rod on right side isn’t perfectly straight. It’s very minor, but it is bent.

Should I adjust the tie rods so the gaps are the same, and then take measurements for toe in adjustments?

Is the right wheel towed out and dragging?

Does the bent rod need to be replaced?

Thanks!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Tie rod adjustment questions

Postby Peter Person » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:46 pm

Tie rods can usually be straightened using a press. I did them today on my sons’ loboy at Cecil’s CubFest Northeast.
If they are bent beyond repair, Tim (tst) makes them.
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:45 pm

Hi,
Here is some info about setting and adjusting the steering, if you need it.
You can check and see if everything is set in the right positions.

Usually both sides of the adjustable axle are adjusted to the same number of holes out of the center tube.

The tie rods telescope too, like the axle.
Turn the steering wheel so the arm in the center is pointing straight ahead, like in the 1st pic at the bottom of this post.
When it is straight ahead, you can see where the wheels are pointing.

There are 5 notches in the tie rod rods, like there are 5 holes for the pins on the axle extensions.
The bolts in the tie rod clamps go through the notches in the tie rod rods.

The tie rod settings have to match the axle settings, so the steering works right, and the front wheels point straight ahead.

Sometimes the tie rods are rusted and hard to change the length of, or they won't move.

The 2nd pic at the bottom, from TM Tractor, is of the adjustable tie rod, showing the 5 notches in the rod.
If 1 front wheel is pointed to the side, instead of straight ahead, 1 tie rod might be set in the wrong position, I would look closely and see if is set right.

The 3rd pic at the bottom, from TM Tractor, shows the steering arms a 1948 Cub would originally have.
They use setscrews to hold them to the spindle shafts. The setscrews and the tapered holes they go in, in the shafts, can wear with use.
The arms can be loose on the shafts, and there can be looseness in the steering there.
Loosen the lock nuts, and tighten the setscrews, if the arms are loose on the shafts.

After you set the tie rods to the right lengths, or they match the width of the axle, the front wheel toe in needs checking.
The Cub owner's manual tells how to do that.

Below is a page from the 1949 Cub owner's manual, showing how to adjust the front axle, and toe in.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-46.jpg

If you change the adjustment of the screw in part at D in the above pic, to adjust the toe in, or other reason, do not turn them in too tight. The balls on the steering arms usually wear more in the straight ahead position, so if you tighten the adjustment so there is no play, the steering may bind when you turn to the right or left. It can lock the steering so it won't turn fully both ways.

I jack up the front at the center, so the front tires are barely off the ground, then you can turn the steering wheel freely from side to side, then you can adjust them so the steering turns freely.
The joints may be a little loose in the straight ahead position, but that is how they are, if they are worn. :)
Attachments
Cub steering arm 3.jpg
Cub steering arm 3.jpg (30.39 KiB) Viewed 549 times
Cub tie rod.jpg
Cub steering arm right .jpg

Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.

Postby Crimson Tim » Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:33 am

Sometimes the steering arms as shown in Glen’s last picture get bent, too. Viewed from directly above, each arm should look like a straight line.

Binky Tremain

Postby Binky Tremain » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:00 am

Thanks everyone. The details and photos help more than you can imagine. I enjoy working on her immensely, but my mechanical knowledge/skills are limited.

I’ve also found the left tie rod has a lot of play, while the right holds firm. I measured as described for the toe in, and have a difference of 1.25” between first and second measurements.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:25 am

Those early, set screw, steering arms are notorious for working loose and / or shearing the tip off the set screw (set bolt, in this case). Check that area carefully. Your toe measurement means nothing until you correct the play in the steering but 1.25” is a lot. The outer end of the tie rod is adjustable, if that is the source of the play.

Binky Tremain

Postby Binky Tremain » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:52 am

I recently replaced both set screws. The right side screw was loose and the tip was deformed, but not broken.

Right tire actually leaves a continuous mark in my driveway, like a skid mark.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:25 pm

Hi,
You didn't say if the front axle is set all the way in, to the narrowest position, or is wider.
It's possible that 1 side of the axle is set wider than the other side.

Pictures would be helpful, of the 1 foot of each end of the axle, taken from above, looking down, with the tie rods in the pics.
If the axle is widened, it sounds like one tie rod is set too narrow, at the clamp where the bolt with the nut is. I don't know without seeing it.
The bolt has to go through 1 of the 5 notches in the rod, shown in the 2nd pic in my post above.

You could measure the total lengths of the tie rods.

Below are pics from TM Tractor showing the adjustable front axle tubes.
The 2nd pic shows the 5 holes, the left side of the pic is the outer end of the axle. :)
Attachments
Cub axle 3.jpg
Cub axle 4.jpg

Binky Tremain

Postby Binky Tremain » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:34 pm

Sorry…can’t seem to get my pictures to download to this site.

Binky Tremain

Postby Binky Tremain » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:00 pm

Glen…I suddenly get it! Thank you!!!

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Glen » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:15 am

Hi,
If your pictures are too big for the website to post, you need to resize them, and make them smaller.

I hope you are making progress with the Cub. :)

Return to “Farmall Cub”