Identification of a Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
JKaechler
Zip Code: 76524

Identification of a Cub

Postby JKaechler » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:14 pm

I was given a Cub from a friendly older gentleman who cannot rebuild it. I have the tractor, which seems complete. and the belly mower.
I have the SN from the tag, 248587.

It seems to be model 608?

How can i determine if the electrical system is 12v or 6v? There is no battery, and the wires seem to have been chewed by a critter.

How can i track down the parts to add a rear lift? it looks like there is an optional linkage and bell crank that allows the hydraulics from the belly mower to lift things in the rear. I can see that being a way to implement a box blade.

CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02747
Tractors Owned: .
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1966 Loboy with 1000 loader
1976 International Cub
several walk behind garden tractors
(20) FastHitch implements
tons' of cultivating and planting stuff
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
(2) A33 Cub bean harvester
NOS Planet Jr. planter
172 planter, large combo hopper, 101A fertilzer hopper
Cole 250# fertilizer hopper with chain drive.

Re: Identification of a Cub

Postby CapeCodCubs » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:13 pm

Hi and hope your questions get answered

Here is a link to a serial number chart...appears you have a 1975 International Cub. The chart is courtesy of TM Tractor who is a site sponsor and offers new quality parts and maintains an information section on their web page which is a helpful resource.

http://www.tmtractor.com/id/id_002.htm

Not sure what the 608 means

Your voltage system should be 12 volts based on the year-1975

If you are looking for parts you can post in "The Vine" classified section here and post what you are looking for

Also you could reach out to John Hargis at JP Tractor one of the site sponsors who runs a Farmall Tractor Salvage yard...a link to his website is on the bottom of the page...

Congrats on your new Cub!

Cubfriend
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 68803
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub, Kittie; 1948 Cub, Harold; 1949 Cub, 49er; 1951 Cub, Tucker; 1951 Cub, Homely; 1956 Cub High Crop; 1957 Cub Loboy; 57 Cub Loboy w/fasthitch + 194 plow; 1958 Cub LoBoy w/FH, Popeye; 1961 Cub, Beater; #1-1962 Cub Loboy Dually (Originally Orange) w/Foot Throttle; #2-1962 Cub Loboy Dually (Originally Orange) w/Foot throttle; Yellow 1963 Cub Loboy and blade; 1970 Cub, Cubbie; and 5 other Cubs in various stages of disaasembly and disrepair; 1962 Cub Cadet Original; 2 other Cub Cadet Originals; Cub Cadet 100; Cub Cadet 124 w/Creeper; Cub Cadet 147; 2 Cub Cadet 129's; Cub Cadet 149; 1948 Allis Chalmers C w/single frontwheel; 1944 Farmall H w/Tokhiem Cab; 2 One Point Fasthitch Carriers; 2-#100 Fasthitch Rear Blade; 2 Sets Cub 144 Cultivators; 2 Sets Cub #252 Cultivators; 3 Cub #193 Mouldboard Plows; 1 Cub #193 Slatted Plow; 1 1948 Cub-54 Snow Plow; 3 Cub-54 49-5 Snow Plows; Cub #6 Tool Bar w/Disc Blades & Middlebuster. 2-#105 sickle mowers, #252 disc plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cubfriend » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:08 am

Sounds like you may have a Long Stripe! BTW JP Tractor Salvage deals in a lot of Cubs and Cub parts and implements along with all the other IH Tractor models.
Frank

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:18 am

It is unclear what you have and are looking for as a rear lift. Post some pictures of the back of your tractor and we can work through it.

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:50 am

Hi,
Welcome to the website.
Serial number 248587 is a 1975 International Cub.
The model of the tractor is on the serial number plate, they were called an International Cub.
There is no 608 for Cubs.
They call them a Longstripe Cub on here because of the long stripes that were originally on the hood.

The Cub operator's manual can help you learn about maintenance that the Cub needs.

Below is the operator's manual for Cubs serial number 248125 and above. The experts on here recommend people read it. It has lots of info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication. There is a table of contents on page 2.
It shows how Cubs originally looked in it. The lube section begins on page 50.
248125 was the 1st Longstripe Cub.
There is a pic of a Cub on page 3 of the manual, you can see if it looks like your Cub.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

It shows the electrical system that Cubs serial number 248125 and above originally had, with the Delco alternator.
Cubs made after mid 1964 have 12 volt, negative ground electrical systems.
248125 and above originally have the Zenith carburetor too.
They have said on here that IH didn't make a new manual every year.

The Touch Control and other things use Case IH Hy-Tran fluid. It is sold at Case IH dealers.
There are other brands, be sure it works with IH hydraulic systems before buying one.
The manual shows what fluids to use where.

I would check or change all the oils before using the Cub. Using it with low oil in a gear housing can damage the parts in the housing.
There are 3 separate gear housings, with 3 separate oil levels to check, in the rear area of a Cub, the transmission, and 2 final drives.

The transmissions in Cubs commonly get water in them, from rain, or condensation inside the housing over time.

The air cleaner is an oil bath air cleaner. Dirt that is sucked in settles to the bottom of the oil cup. It should have clean, light motor oil in the oil cup to work right.

There is a search at the top of the page, to the right of the Farmall Cub, you can search for info in posts that have been made.

There seems to be a page of the contents gone from the manual, page 2 says continued, and begins with items on page 39.

Below is a page from a Cub 144 Cultivator owner's manual showing the rear lift that IH had, for use with Cub with a drawbar, in the lower pic on the page.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-09.jpg

You didn't say if the Cub has a drawbar. Pictures of the drawbar are on page 24 of the operator's manual.
IH made the Fast Hitch for Cubs, it is used in place of the drawbar. It allows fast connecting of implements used on the rear of the Cub. The implements used with it have to be made for a Fast Hitch. Pics of the Fast Hitch begin on page 20.

Good luck with the Cub. :)

JKaechler
Zip Code: 76524

Postby JKaechler » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:39 am

Wow! what a lot of information!

Regarding the long stripe... yes, there is enough of the original decal left on the hood to see that the long stripe was there, and the word 'cub' is still visible. Once i get it all running i plan to do a paint job to get it looking something like original. eventually i will need decals.

the owners manual is a good start, and knowing that its al 12v negative ground will help a lot as well. that makes electircal work very straightforward.
the other bit of documentation i would be looking for is a service manual that has details on the engine, transmission, and clutch. I would not be surprised if i wind up having to split the case apart and replace the clutch at some point.

is it a wet clutch? one that sits in a bath of oil? or is it a dry clutch more similar to what my 1968 ford used to have? spring pressure plate on the flywheel, and a collection of friction plates on the disk connected to the transmission shaft?

Thanks all! Later on I will post a pic of the rear, and also link to what i saw another forum poster do to have a working hitch on the back. It appears to be based on the 'fast hitch' assembly that is shown on page 57 of the manual. I dont currently have that setup. But I can see where it would easily connect.
Last edited by JKaechler on Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cubfriend
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 68803
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub, Kittie; 1948 Cub, Harold; 1949 Cub, 49er; 1951 Cub, Tucker; 1951 Cub, Homely; 1956 Cub High Crop; 1957 Cub Loboy; 57 Cub Loboy w/fasthitch + 194 plow; 1958 Cub LoBoy w/FH, Popeye; 1961 Cub, Beater; #1-1962 Cub Loboy Dually (Originally Orange) w/Foot Throttle; #2-1962 Cub Loboy Dually (Originally Orange) w/Foot throttle; Yellow 1963 Cub Loboy and blade; 1970 Cub, Cubbie; and 5 other Cubs in various stages of disaasembly and disrepair; 1962 Cub Cadet Original; 2 other Cub Cadet Originals; Cub Cadet 100; Cub Cadet 124 w/Creeper; Cub Cadet 147; 2 Cub Cadet 129's; Cub Cadet 149; 1948 Allis Chalmers C w/single frontwheel; 1944 Farmall H w/Tokhiem Cab; 2 One Point Fasthitch Carriers; 2-#100 Fasthitch Rear Blade; 2 Sets Cub 144 Cultivators; 2 Sets Cub #252 Cultivators; 3 Cub #193 Mouldboard Plows; 1 Cub #193 Slatted Plow; 1 1948 Cub-54 Snow Plow; 3 Cub-54 49-5 Snow Plows; Cub #6 Tool Bar w/Disc Blades & Middlebuster. 2-#105 sickle mowers, #252 disc plow

Postby Cubfriend » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:47 am

Dry clutch.
Frank

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:40 pm

Hi,
Cubs have a dry clutch, with a pressure plate, and 1 clutch disc. The disc is 6 1/2" diameter.

The clutch is shown in the operator's manual, on page 48.
I would check the clutch pedal free play, that is shown on page 47.
It should have 1" of free play, measured at the top of it's travel, at the surface where you put your foot.
There should be a pedal return spring under the platform, to hold the pedal up against the platform edge.
If the spring is gone, the pedal would go forward, and the throwout bearing would always be touching the pressure plate fingers.
The brake pedals have return springs too.
TM Tractor at the bottom of the page has new springs.

Below is TM Tractor's page of clutch parts, you can look at the pics.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/cl/cl_001newparts.htm

If the clutch works normally, it might be in good condition, and not need replacing.
Use a light and look in the hand hole under the clutch housing, and you can see if the parts look ok.
Cubs originally have a throwout bearing that doesn't turn.
They say on here, grease the throwout bearing grease fitting with some cheap grease, so it absorbs into the graphite material.
There is originally a small hole at the top of the bearing for excess grease to come out.
Grease it until old grease, and then new grease comes out.

The clutch pedal base on Cubs sometimes get tight working from no lube.
A 1975 Cub should have a grease fitting under the clutch pedal, on the clutch housing.
It is number 16 on page 56, in the Lubrication Guide picture.

Below is the Cub and LoBoy service manual, it has lots of info.
There is a contents beginning on page 1 of most sections, it makes it easier to use online.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

There are more manuals at the top of the page at Cub Info, then go to Rudi's Manuals. :)