This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Water in oil and coming out manifold

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Tractorsforlife84
Zip Code: 71913

Water in oil and coming out manifold

Postby Tractorsforlife84 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:37 am

:help: I just purchased a 51 cub from the owner of one of my hay properties. The tractor has been in the barn for 6+ years. I offered to buy it and picked it up for $650. The coil was bad and all 4 tires old and flat. Got it home (used a lager tractor and slings to gently load it). Turned the engine over after checking oil which was dark, but no water in it. I even drained a bit before to check. The radiator was empty at this point. I purchased the correct coil and rewired everything due to animals chewing on the wires. Rebuilt the carb, filed the points, added just water to the engine, and primed the oil pump. I planned on flushing the radiator and dropping the oil pan once I got the tractor running anyway. The tractor fired right up. It ran a bit rough, which I expected at first. Then I noticed water coming from the bottom of the manifold. I shut it off and checked the oil. Now I have chocolate milk for oil and water coming from places it shouldn't. This feels like more than just a head gasket. Has anyone else had this happen?

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Water in oil and coming out manifold

Postby inairam » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:09 am

The block could be cracked but I would flush everything oil and coolant and redo the test before I did anything major. The oil and water in the pan could have seperated and you just mixed it up. Water will build up in the oil just from condensate and humidity from sitting.

There is a small condensate hole on the bottom of the manifold was the water coming from that or a crack somewhere?
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:47 am

inairam wrote:I would flush everything oil and coolant and redo the test before I did anything major.
Remove spark plugs, crank engine over, see if any moisture exits the engine. Condition of spark plugs? Also compression tests.

This should tell if you have a head gasket fault.
I have an excuse. CRS.

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:37 am

If you pressurize the cooling system, (very low pressure) that will tell you if you've got a cracked block or bad head gasket. If it drops pressure, you may be able to listen for leak (remove the spark plugs) and determine where it's leaking.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:36 pm

inairam wrote:. The oil and water in the pan could have seperated and you just mixed it up. Water will build up in the oil just from condensate and humidity from sitting.

?

I doubt this since he said he even pulled the plug and drained some of the oil to make sure. Sóunds like he was looking for water knowing it would separate and collect at the bottom of the pan .

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:11 pm

I still think it is worth studying some more before your pull a head
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Tractorsforlife84

Postby Tractorsforlife84 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:22 am

I appreciate all of the input, I believe the water was coming from the hole in the bottom of the manifold. I plan to pull the plugs and see if water comes out of a cylinder. I am definitely hesitant to pull the head at the moment until I have a full day to devote to it. My plugs looked fantastic before I got the tractor started. I haven't been able to pull them again due to the weather. I don't have room in the shop at the moment. I will do a compression test as quickly as I can. Basically, I'm trying to decide if I should put aside other stuff to get this back up and going or tarp it until I can get it in the shop. I also like the idea on lightly pressure testing the cooling system. You all have definitely raised my spirits. This seems to be a wonderful community. This tractor was meant to be a working tribute to a friend who taught me alot about tractors. He passed a few years ago, but he taught me the most by having me run, maintain, and show one of his cubs. I'll keep you all posted and I'm sure I'll need more advice.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:25 pm

Hi,
The Cub service manual says a Cub engine has 120 lbs of compression. That is probably for a new engine.
Some less is ok, they have said on here 90 lbs or above is ok.

Here is info for doing a compression test, if you need it.
Open the throttle fully to do the compression test, so the engine can get air.
Have all 4 spark plugs out of the engine at the same time.
Charge the battery fully before the test, and use the starter.

Normally, if the compression test shows low numbers, before doing all the work of a rebuild to the engine, you could try an oil additive.
But your engine may have a bad head gasket, or other problem.

They say on here to put Seafoam oil additive in the engine oil.
They sell it at auto parts stores.
Several people on here that used it said that it helped a lot.
They say on here to make the engine work while using the additive.
If the piston rings are stuck, it can help free them.

One of the experts on here said to use the additive for 2 oil change periods.
The 1955 Cub operator's manual says to change the oil every 150 hours of use.
If the rings are wornout, the Seafoam won't help much.

It's normal for some water to come out the small hole made in the bottom of the exhaust part of the manifold, when the engine is running and cold, or partly warmed up. :)

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:44 am

Pull the plugs and crank it over, a few times. If it’s as bad as you initially said, it should blow water out.

Tractorsforlife84

Postby Tractorsforlife84 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:45 pm

I finally got caught up and am going to make room in the shop tomorrow. Will pull the plugs first thing. I put the battery on the charger before coming in this evening. Will try to take a look at everything tomorrow evening.