This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

48 Cub - PTO pulley wobbles

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
phill_mi
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 49435
Tractors Owned: '47 Ford 2N (with '50 8N motor)
'48 Farmall Cub
C22 sickle
'52 Ferguson TO-30
'63 Farmall 560 gas with loader
Circle of Safety: Y

48 Cub - PTO pulley wobbles

Postby phill_mi » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:14 pm

Greetings; I pulled the Cub 22 mower off of the 48 Cub, manual implements, that I drove home last week after buying from a neighbor, who found it at a estate auction and did a little work to get the engine running. I started changing engine fluids, and as the starter bendix is not engaging I pulled it and took it to a starter shop. I was going to order the parts and rebuild it myself, but I know these folks and they have tools that I don't have, yet.

Tonight I pulled the Cub 22 off so that I could remove the final drive housing pan and change fluids. By the looks of the implement bolts in the Cub 22 it has been on the Cub a very long time. There was a lot more oil in the right final than in the left final, probably because the Cub 22 blocks access to the left oil filler port. But both finals and the transmission have been drained. I need to get some kerosene or something to clean up the parts before reassembling them. Did not see much water just a lot of tar-like oil and a lot of rusty look in the transmission. (Unfortunately too much of that old stuff missed the bucket and is on the wood floor of my barn's upper level.)

Once the Cub 22 was removed I found that the PTO pulley is very loose on the splined shaft, moving both laterally along the shaft, as well as at angles not perpendicular to the shaft. There is a large clamping bolt on the side of the pulley that is rusted and did not come loose. It looks to me like the pully is intended for a larger spline than the one in the tractor I can see a significant gap between the splined shaft and the pulley. So then there is a small 8-24 bolt, very old with a slotted pan head and a square nut, that goes through the pully and shaft perpendicular to the clamping bolt. This is also rusted. I will have to cut or drill them out to get the pulley off. The splines in the pulley look deformed. I'm not sure of the tractor PTO yet. I looked on several parts sites starting with TM Tractor and did not find this pulley. Maybe I need to wait and get the pulley off, but any insights as to what was typical on 48 Cub and where to find the right parts is appreciated.
Thanks Phill

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Re: 48 Cub - PTO pulley wobbles

Postby Dale Finch » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:37 pm

I'm not sure, but maybe these photos from TM Tractors will help...PTO Pulleys at the bottom:
http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=111819
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:03 pm

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:15 am

Hi,
The Cub 22 Mower PTO pulley splines, and the PTO shaft splines being worn can be a problem, if someone was running the mower with the 3/8" bolt through the pulley loose.
The splines keep getting more and more worn.
I have seen one in the past that was.

To repair it, you would need to replace the pulley, and the PTO shaft.
A 1948 Cub 22 Mower I think uses the 4 1/2" diameter pulley. There was a 4" pulley used later.
You could measure the diameter of the pulley you have, if you want to buy another one.
TM Tractor has both parts, below are the listings.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/sm/589fp.htm

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/pt/514fp.htm

The PTO bearing could be replaced if you replace the shaft, the old bearing is sometimes tight on the shaft.
The PTO seal should be replaced if you put in a new shaft.
TM Tractor has the bearing and seal, and other PTO parts.
The small hole through the pulley and shaft originally uses a cotter key.

The Cub and LoBoy service manual shows how to repair the PTO. :)

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:45 am

Hi,
The Cub owner's manual can help you learn about maintenance that the Cub needs.

Below is the 1949 Cub owner's manual. The experts on here recommend people read it. It has lots of info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication. There is a table of contents on page 1.
It shows how Cubs originally looked in it. The lube section begins on page 14.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

It shows the electrical system that a 1949, and 1948 Cub originally had.
Cubs made before mid 1964 originally had 6 volt, positive ground electrical systems.

The 10 weight motor oil mentioned in the manual for the Touch Control was changed later to Case IH Hy-Tran fluid. It is sold at Case IH dealers.
There are other brands, be sure it works with IH hydraulic systems before buying one.
The manual tells how to check and change the Touch Control fluid, and remove the air from the system.
Be sure to check the fluid with the arms in the rear, or down position, the manual says.

I would check or change all the oils before using the Cub. Using it with low oil in a gear housing can damage the parts in the housing.
There are 3 separate gear housings, with 3 separate oil levels to check, in the rear area of a Cub, the transmission, and 2 final drives.

The transmissions in Cubs commonly get water in them, from rain, or condensation inside the housing over time.

The air cleaner is an oil bath air cleaner. Dirt that is sucked in settles to the bottom of the oil cup. It should have clean, light motor oil in the oil cup to work right.

There is a search box at the top of the page, to the right of the Farmall Cub, you can find info in posts that have been made.

They have said on here if the transmission oil looked dirty when draining out of the housing, you can put in kerosene, or diesel, up to the level plug hole, which is low on the left side of the housing, and drive the Cub around for about 5 minutes.
Then drain the kerosene or diesel, and fill to the level plug hole with 80W-90 gear oil.
The trans holds 3 1/2 Pints of liquid, to fill it to the level plug hole. :)

Return to “Farmall Cub”